New 6.5 Grendel Magazines Now Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just rec'd my 5 pack just a min. ago and I'll do a quick comparison.
    The black finish is all good by me. To my standards the paint looks to be a black satin and not a gloss. Either way I could care less. I had a box of Hornady SSTs in my truck and loaded all rounds into the mag.
    First thing I noticed compared to the C-Product (CP) mag is how the top round sits on the white follower. The round looks like a F-16 ready to take flight and that's a good thing. My CP mag holds the round at a more flat position. Some of the rounds on the CP mag even hit the front of the mag right at the case mouth and that's a bad thing.
    Secondly with the 20 rounds installed in this new mag I can strip it clean and all the rounds are under even tension. That's a good thing. Not the case with the CP mag. As I strip a CP mag clean some of the rounds fall short of coming to the top of the mag. Actually I have had some rounds just completely fall out. Almost as if the spring isn't strong enough to push the round to the top of the mag which is a bad thing.
    Thirdly (is that a word?) the spring seems stiffer. I don't have a CP mag to compare it to but I would bet the springs have more tension.
    I plan to hunt Sat. night and I'll let you know my real world outcome.

Comment

• babue
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Just put my order in. I have had few problems with the older mags, after tweeking the feedlips but I have been running the
      E-Lander 223 mags hard for a year and a half with no problems, so I expect these to be as good.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Shivesy View Post
        I just rec'd my 5 pack just a min. ago and I'll do a quick comparison.
        The black finish is all good by me. To my standards the paint looks to be a black satin and not a gloss. Either way I could care less. I had a box of Hornady SSTs in my truck and loaded all rounds into the mag.
        First thing I noticed compared to the C-Product (CP) mag is how the top round sits on the white follower. The round looks like a F-16 ready to take flight and that's a good thing. My CP mag holds the round at a more flat position. Some of the rounds on the CP mag even hit the front of the mag right at the case mouth and that's a bad thing.
        Secondly with the 20 rounds installed in this new mag I can strip it clean and all the rounds are under even tension. That's a good thing. Not the case with the CP mag. As I strip a CP mag clean some of the rounds fall short of coming to the top of the mag. Actually I have had some rounds just completely fall out. Almost as if the spring isn't strong enough to push the round to the top of the mag which is a bad thing.
        Thirdly (is that a word?) the spring seems stiffer. I don't have a CP mag to compare it to but I would bet the springs have more tension.
        I plan to hunt Sat. night and I'll let you know my real world outcome.
        Thanks Shivesy, that's a good informative review.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• dammitman
          Warrior
          • Dec 2012

well, just ordered 5 of these and i will go ahead and try out some of the steel case ammo if i ever get the chance. be a fool not to at least try it.

Comment

• MrBogey
            Unwashed
            • May 2014

All of this is exactly the same for me. Received mine yesterday and had the same experience. The rounds feed into the gun smoothly from 1 to 25 and popped out the same. Gonna have to hit it to see the oal on the inside. Seemed a hair smaller than the last ones I bought.

So total time from order to receiving was just over a week.

Comment

I wish they would have used a different color follower. I have a bunch of the 5.56 mags and they have white followers too.

Comment

• MrBogey
                Unwashed
                • May 2014

Well since it's white, can you color it with a marker?

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NordicG3K View Post
                  I wish they would have used a different color follower. I have a bunch of the 5.56 mags and they have white followers too.
                  You have black, stainless steel, mags that have a white follower? All I have to do is pick these up and its obvious they aren't 5.56 mags! LOL!

Comment

• gastonglock21s
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by NordicG3K View Post
                    Lots of guys color PMAGS different colors with RIT dye.

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      You have black, stainless steel, mags that have a white follower? All I have to do is pick these up and its obvious they aren't 5.56 mags! LOL!
                      E-Lander has 556 black steel mags with white followers:

Shop The Mako Group to find the widest selection of tactical equipment and weapon accessories that Israel has to offer. Order now to receive shipment anywhere in the U.S.
                      Drifter

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        From the pics, I believe they do look the same as the Elander 5.56 mags.

Stainless? I thought they were regular steel?
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                          E-Lander has 556 black steel mags with white followers:

https://www.themakogroup.com/Detail....34501&CAT=8705
                          my apologies! i'll trade my blu ones for white if someone wants to trade!

Comment

UPDATE..on my hunt last night using these new mags. I loaded 3 of the mags full of factory Hornady 123 SST and headed out in hopes of blasting a few pigs. Right off the bat I spotted a sounder of 8 pigs and stalked to within about 70 yds. To make a long story short I ran off 17 rounds while trying to down as many as I could before they escaped into the wood line. I knew at that time these mags were different than what I have been using in the past, they never did jam the rounds. I never was able to find anymore pigs the rest of the night so needless to say I didn't shoot any more rounds. I am not 100% sold on these yet until I have more field experience but from the one time I was able to put them to use, these mags did function to my satisfaction.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Thanks for the update Shivesy, I hope these mags continue to perform.

Comment

• stanc
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Shivesy View Post
                                I am not 100% sold on these yet until I have more field experience but from the one time I was able to put them to use, these mags did function to my satisfaction.
                                Should that be, "one of these mags did function to my satisfaction"?

Comment

Working...
                                X