• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

SBR Form 1

I was hoping that some of y'all that have done this process could help us out.

What are the prereqs for the lower?

Question: Can I apply for an SBR Tax Stamp on my own, or do I have to go through an FFL?

What advice would you give?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I have no knowledge of the laws of your state, but providing there are no state law barriers in your AO:

No you don't need an FFL involved to "make" a SBR on a Form 1.

1st question: Are you going the "Trust" route, or are you doing it the old fashion way by just putting it in your own name?

If you're doing it "normally" (in your own name), then you first need to ensure you can get a CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) signoff on your Form 1's. The CLEO is normally your county Sheriff, but there are sometimes others you can get to do a signoff.

If you are forming an NFA Trust, then you currently don't need a CLEO signoff, fingerprint cards or photos. I never formed a trust, so I'm not a good person for advice about it in my opinion. It currently does have some nice advantages though. Were I starting from scratch, I'd likely form a Trust as well nowadays. ATF had proposed to seriously dampen the advantages of the NFA Trust by requiring all of the "Trustees" to jump through the same hoops that a normal individual does. To my knowledge that has been postponed until sometime next year at the soonest. If you think you are interested in the Trust route, there a large number of sites available for info. Just search "NFA Trust", and plan to spend quite a few hours reading.

Prerequisites for the lower: None really. Jusy pick whatever you want, and don't actually assemble it as a SBR until your approved stamp comes back (on your Form 1). You'll have to have your name, town, and state engraved on it also.

For marking a lower-- There are places online you can mail to. "Ident Marking" is one of them.

Advice: This is just my opinion, but use a nice lower.

Disadvantages to doing a form 1 item--- Be prepared to be married to it. They are hard to sell with your name permanently engraved in them. If there is any concern with future value or collectibility, then you'd likely be ahead with owning a "factory" SBR instead of a homemade form 1 gun. I could sell my factory registered Colt 6933 SBR for good money. I'd have a hard time giving away one of my form 1 SBR receivers. To a lot of folks that doesn't matter though. Just food for thought if collectability is a possible concern.
    Last edited by Variable; 07-26-2014, 02:11 PM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

I was looking into it last year. The rules regarding trusts were supposed to pumpkin middle of December or something and I never got around to seeing if they actually changed or not. It would be kind of nice to be able to hear things when I get older.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Last week, the board of the American Silencer Association (ASA) met with the NFA branch to get an update on the status of the proposed rule change regarding the use of trusts to acquire NFA items. As you may recall, the … Continue reading →

"As you may recall, the comment period for the proposed rule change (known as 41p) ended on December 9th of 2013 and since then we have all been waiting anxiously for the ATF to provide information about the number of valid comments submitted.

This is important because, as part of the federal administrative rulemaking process, the ATF must respond to all valid comments in writing prior to moving on to the final rulemaking process.

The ATF told the ASA that there were an astonishing 9,504 comments received. However, approximately 1,000 of these were disqualified for vulgarity, anonymity, or non-applicability. That still leaves around 8,500 comments, almost all of which were opposed to one or more aspects of the rulemaking.

Because of the extraordinary number of comments in opposition to the proposed rule, the ATF stated that they anticipate it will take at least a year before they will be able to move on to the final rulemaking process.
        "

I don't know how long ATF will be held off, or what new skullduggery they'll eventually come out with, but for now they are temporarily at bay.

ETA: And for the record---- My comments were "applicable", not anonymous, and (though it took massive restraint on my part) non-vulgar.LOL
        Last edited by Variable; 07-26-2014, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

Thanks for that! Maybe getting it this year might not be a bad idea then.

I am extremely profane, not for a dearth of other vocabulary but because profanity is quite often necessitated to modify so many things I observe.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Thanks Variable. Yea I started a trust about a month ago when I started the wait process on an SDN6.

So I'll have to have a lower engraved with the name of my trust, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by cory View Post
              Thanks Variable. Yea I started a trust about a month ago when I started the wait process on an SDN6.

I did one earlier this year and yes you have to have the name of your trust and the city and state engraved on the lower.

Are you planning on using eForms or the mailing in the paperwork?

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post

Yes. Trust name, city, state. Hopefully you kept your Trust name short.LOL I warned a guy at work about keeping his short, but he's one of "those" guys. He had to complicate everything to the Nth degree, and now regrets having a ridiculously long title that has to be scratched into everything.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by gmar View Post
                  I did one earlier this year and yes you have to have the name of your trust and the city and state engraved on the lower.

Are you planning on using eForms or the mailing in the paperwork?
                  eform preferably.

Comment

• Dave Bob
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2013

The lawyer I had set up my trust will do the eform. If you did it yourself I don't know.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X