• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 62flint
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2012

lilja barreled grendel,

I have a lilja barreled grendel. It holds consistent moa out to 300 yards. Which is as far as I have tried it. While MOA is not bad, I would like to get a little better grouping.
    I have shot AA 123 scenar, Hornady 123sst , precision firearms 123 sst, precision firearms nosler 120.
    Every thing I have fed it has been boringly consistently moa.
    I had some Wolf 120 mpt and it actually shot that the best of about .5-.75moa at 100-200 yards.
    I have not started reloading for it yet. Like to see a under moa load before I start reloading.
    I am considering re-barreling or just dumping the whole rifle and going back to 308. I just really like the ballistics of the grendel and the size of the ar15 vs the ar10 .
    Any suggestions?
  • CPT.CRAZY
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

From what I've seen from these barrels, even the first run group buy. With the right hand load .5moa is realistic.
    sigpic

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

62 flint, I would sell me your bbl., at a discounted price- if I were u., I will give you some .308-150grn. Gmx bullets to plump up the deal. just jokin.

Start reloading on the Grendel- it's so easy to load, to find a sweet spot,. The shorter case is the key to finding a load, faster. No need to load by .5 grns - per try.
      Jump ahead by .2's instead.

I sold my .308 to shoot the Grendel as my main heavy, longer range AR caliber. No disappointments as of yet.

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 62flint View Post
        I have shot AA 123 scenar, Hornady 123sst , precision firearms 123 sst, precision firearms nosler 120.

Every thing I have fed it has been boringly consistently moa.

I had some Wolf 120 mpt and it actually shot that the best of about .5-.75moa at 100-200 yards.

I have not started reloading for it yet. Like to see a under moa load before I start reloading.

I am considering re-barreling or just dumping the whole rifle and going back to 308.
        Any suggestions?
        Boringly consistently MOA?...LOL

Small adjustments to the jump to lands with these factory loads would probably bring them sub-MOA.

Going to hand loads will also allow you to tweak the powder for your barrel (barrel harmonics) to bring it sub-MOA as well.

If your barrel is "boringly consistently MOA" with everything you feed it, then you have a good barrel and I wouldn't do anything to it other than adjust its diet.
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• 62flint
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
          Boringly consistently MOA?...LOL

Small adjustments to the jump to lands with these factory loads would probably bring them sub-MOA.

Going to hand loads will also allow you to tweak the powder for your barrel (barrel harmonics) to bring it sub-MOA as well.

If your barrel is "boringly consistently MOA" with everything you feed it, then you have a good barrel and I wouldn't do anything to it other than adjust its diet.
          Thanks,, I don't mean to sound bad about the rifle being MOA... I just wished I could find a factory load to shoot .5-.75 moa. I have never had a rifle that shot so consistent with any thing you put it in as this rifle is. But moa is about all I can get with factory loads. Guess i just need to come off the money and buy some reloading gear.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

To me the sweet part of what you posted is that it shoots exceptionally well with the cheapest brass cased factory ammo out there. I personally would be pretty tickled with that, and besides developing some good loads, I'd leave some cash laid back and buy a buttload of Wolf Gold 120 MPT next time it came in.LOL

I have an old Mannlicher stocked Krico bolt action chambered in .222 Remington. It shoots lights out with the crappy remington 50 grain pointed soft points. I tried buying the fancy stuff for it, but it shot lousy. I just shrugged and giggled like a little girl while I cleaned out Wallyworld of all their cheap Remmy .222 fodder. I have a pretty big pile of it now. I still laugh every time I see some marked down and grab it just because I can.LOL

For an easy accurate handload for your Grendel-- Try the Nosler 120gr. BT. Many folks have found very accurate handloads with that bullet (and the 100gr. BT also) with very little effort. I see you tried one factory load of it (PF), but it might only take a different powder or seating depth to snug your barrel's groups right down to bughole territory. My personal load with that bullet uses 31.7 grains of Win. 748 (WARNING-- Work up. That charge is warm in my rifle...), a CCI 450 primer and seated at 2.265". I hit it almost right off the bat, and it was so easy I just called it good right there.

Good luck, and I'm glad your rifle is a cheap date. That to me is worth bragging about.LOL

ETA: One caveat with the Nosler B.T.s..... The jacket alloy that Nosler uses seems to be a tad bit different than Sierra, Lapua, etc. Bill A. reported it long ago, and I experienced it too, so I toss it out there every so often as a reminder. I can shoot Sierras, Lapuas, etc. all day, and switching back and forth doesn't seem to change much. BUT--- If I shoot Nosler B.T.s and then switch back to Sierra bullets the groups open up for a brief spell until the bore settles down again. So you can either clean in between, or just plink through it (should be gone within about 10 rounds IIRC).
            Last edited by Variable; 08-03-2014, 12:47 AM.
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Is your current 1-moa shooter a different upper than the one below, or did accuracy degrade on the one mentioned in your post from April?

Originally posted by 62flint View Post
              Plug for Mark and precision firearms.
              I own 3 of Marks rifles, 2 223rem and one Grendel. They all shoot very well. My Grendel and one 223 both have lilja barrels. The both shoot one hole at 100 yards. I couldn't be happier with workmanship, quality of build or most important accuracy. His rifles will do just what he says they will.
              Link to source: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2197#post92197

If it's the same, what is the round count, and has it been thoroughly cleaned and copper fouling removed? Have any changes been made to the rifle?

If it's different, share some details about the build and maybe someone can help to determine if other factors (besides the barrel) could be affecting accuracy.
              Drifter

Comment

• 62flint
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                Is your current 1-moa shooter a different upper than the one below, or did accuracy degrade on the one mentioned in your post from April?

Link to source: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2197#post92197

If it's the same, what is the round count, and has it been thoroughly cleaned and copper fouling removed? Have any changes been made to the rifle?

If it's different, share some details about the build and maybe someone can help to determine if other factors (besides the barrel) could be affecting accuracy.
                Nope same upper, That is with wolf mpt 120 grain, .5 moa,,, all the expensive stuff the groups open up slightly. I am still happy with the build and quality,,, Just want .5 moa back, Or more wolf 120mpt. I bought 5 boxes of the wolf not expecting much. Will breaking the barrel in and going through that 100 rounds I was very excited about accuracy.. When I started shooting 123 AA scenar groups immediately opened up to 1-1.25 moa. And ever since no matter what I feed it. I get around moa groups.
                As for cleaning. I have cleaned it after every shooting session. or about every 50 rounds since break in. Round count is about 400-500 I believe.
                wish I could get another box of wolf 120 MPT just to see if I get below moa again.
                I am going to order a couple different boxes of ammo from mark next week. Might drop back to 100 grain bullets and see what happens.
                But who can really complain about a auto rifle shooting moa or less,,, I am just trying to squeze all I can out of it. Really need to start hand loading grendel.
                Last edited by 62flint; 08-03-2014, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• 62flint
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2012

shot about 50 rounds through it this afternoon, 200 yards 5 shot groups. 4 different types off ammo. I noticed all the groups regardless of ammo would have a flyer that would open the group up to around 2 inches. I would have a nice little 3-4 shot group of 1/2 to 1 inch then a flyer or two out around 2 inches.
                  SO, me? Factory ammo? Not being consistent? I do not have a chronograph. I am using a vortex pst ffp 4-16x scope on a GG&G mount.
                  ANY Thoughts ?

Comment

That is most often the shooter or technique, just not getting something the same as the other shots. It doesn't take much, more cheek pressure, less cheek pressure, rifle not lined up with the bag to allow a recoil ride that is straight and true, anticipating the shot break and so on.
                    Here are a couple of factory loads I would try if you haven't yet.

Hornady Custom 6.5 Grendel 123gr SST 20/Box 8152 $1.25/rd [$24.99] [Natchez]
                    Alexander Arms Ammunition 6.5 Grendel 120 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Box of 20 $1.52/rd [$30.49] Hunting [MidwayUSA]

Comment

Working...
                    X