• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Max rounds through a barrel

AA 24" Overwatch 1/9 twist.

I shoot ONLY 123 grain bullets at max pressures and velocities. I would probably call it a .5 to .75 MOA barrel. No idea who the manufacturer is.

Do all barrels last the same amount of rounds fired? And how far will my groups open up?
    Will it be obvious?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Since the Grendel operates at lower pressures, the throat, and consequently the barrel life is exceptional, easily out-lasting the .308 Winchester. I think Les Baer has claimed barrels lasting well past 20,000rds for accuracy life.

What do you mean by max pressure and velocities?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I shot more than 6000 rounds through my first Grendel before I swapped barrels, and it still shot sub MOA with its preferred loads. It was a button rifled barrel. I expect that a good cut rifled barrel will easily go 7-10,000 rounds before issues.

I think most barrels are at higher risk of damage from cleaning than from wearing out from shooting the cartridge.

Comment

• m796rider
        Warrior
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        I think most barrels are at higher risk of damage from cleaning than from wearing out from shooting the cartridge.
        Which is why I own a bunch of dirty guns... I used to clean obsessively after every range trip but I know better now.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

+1
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I did all my cleaning in the Army. We cleaned M16's and M4's so excessively, it bled over to my personal guns, so I don't even need to touch them. Just add lubrication and ammo, and blast away....right?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Since the Grendel operates at lower pressures, the throat, and consequently the barrel life is exceptional, easily out-lasting the .308 Winchester. I think Les Baer has claimed barrels lasting well past 20,000rds for accuracy life.

What do you mean by max pressure and velocities?
              I use 30 grains of AA 2520 which is at or slightly above "book" value depending on which source you use.
              For my given equipment, components and local conditions I have determined I am at the safest highest velocity hence also my max pressure.

Comment

Working...
              X