• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnjohn
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Lilja AR740 barrel and looking for bolt

I have a Lilja barrel. Lilja site says to purchase bolt from Maxim Firearms for the Lilja chamber. Is the Lilja chamber the SAAMI version? And are there other bolt makers that makes bolts for Lilja chambers that will be in spec besides Maxim Firearms?

Thanks,

John
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The Maxim Grendel bolts will work. Lilja is using a SAAMI reamer. You can also use bolts from AA, Precision Firearms, and Underground Tactical. These are all using the .136" +.000/-.003" recess face, made from the ground up specifically for the 6.5 Grendel.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• johnjohn
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2014

LRRPF52 - thank you for your response. I'll check them out.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

AA bolts should work. An LBC bolt may not work.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
          Warrior
          • Apr 2011

LBC Bolts will work, but we have had more of them break than all bolts, 556 and 6.5 put together. Can't recommend them due to that. We used them about 2 years ago.

Our bolts are available in Phalanx (black nitride) and Super Match (Nickel Boron).

Mark Hostetter
          Precision Firearms
          "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

One thing I noticed about the bolts from Precision Firearms is that the extractors are already tuned, which is a nice touch that you don't often see in the AR15 market.

The AA hard use bolts are very well made as well. There is something going on with the coating/surface finish that looks much different than the nitrided bolts.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• johnjohn
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2014

Thanks guys. When the time comes for me to buy a bolt. I'll make sure to look back to this thread.

Comment

• aclark
                Warrior
                • Dec 2011

I have mine paired up with the 264 LBC bolt. At the time I started building it was the only bolt available. I actually sent mine to Lilja for the group buy so they could head space the barrels for those of us that had the LBC bolts. I don't have a ton of rounds through my rifle yet, but its running like champ, and extraction is great. I could set a bucket at 4 o'clock and catch every piece of brass ejected.

Comment

• NCTTA
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2014

So with the above mentioned bolts will all be headspaced properly with the Lilja barrel? Any reason to check with go/no go gauge
                  Last edited by NCTTA; 10-23-2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• jurassic
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    One thing I noticed about the bolts from Precision Firearms is that the extractors are already tuned, which is a nice touch that you don't often see in the AR15 market.

The AA hard use bolts are very well made as well. There is something going on with the coating/surface finish that looks much different than the nitrided bolts.
                    I think I read the AA hard use bolts are IonBond coated, which is probably a DLC (diamond like carbon) finish. Very cool stuff, my Remington 700 XCR II and a BCM bcg I regrettably let get away, have that finish on them. Very slick and hard stuff. I just bought a VooDoo Innovations bcg that's finished with the same stuff. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Comment

• Joseph5
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

If I am not mistaken it states on The Les Baer website that their bolts are made out of 8620 steel which would explain the breakages.

Comment

• jurassic
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by NCTTA View Post
                        So with the above mentioned bolts will all be headspaced properly with the Lilja barrel? Any reason to check with go/no go gauge
                        I paired my Lilja barrel with a precision firearms bolt, I did check the head space, but It probably was not necessary. The bolt quality is fantastic, you will wait forever for an AA bolt.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2011

When I spoke to Les, he stated Carp 158. But I heard from numerous sources that they are 8620. Really disappointed with them. 158 has been the standard for years now.

Ours are made from 9310 now about 40% stronger than 8620!
                          "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                          X