65 Receiver Set with Polymer mags from PF (HOPEFULLY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

So an optimal polymer mag for the Grendel would need to be wider, correct?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

No I think it should be narrower to prevent the rounds from forcing themselves against the side walls. A straighter stack would help with side wall stress and also align the bullets to the ramps better. The closer together to center line of mag the more upward pressure and less side wall pressure. It's a matter of fulcrum points.
      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
        No I think it should be narrower to prevent the rounds from forcing themselves against the side walls.
        I can't imagine how you reach that conclusion. The SPC case is smaller diameter than the Grendel case. To achieve proper stacking, a Grendel mag would have to be wider, not narrower.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
          Warrior
          • Apr 2011

Yes and no.

Wider would do it but it would have to be quite a bit wider. I am thinking in terms of using existing mags or mag wells. Not creating a whole new mag well AND Mags. If the mags were narrow enough the force vertically would be greater creating less tension on the side walls. That is the issue with trying to use standard mag bodies now. Too much pressure on side walls because the contact is side to side and not equal in up and down too. The rounds are not touching vertically, just horizontally creating a jamming effect. If we make that angle steeper the force would be directed vertically and not so much horizontally.

I may not be explaining it so you guy can understand it, its too late at night.

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Yes and no.

Wider would do it but it would have to be quite a bit wider. I am thinking in terms of using existing mags or mag wells. Not creating a whole new mag well AND Mags. If the mags were narrow enough the force vertically would be greater creating less tension on the side walls. That is the issue with trying to use standard mag bodies now. Too much pressure on side walls because the contact is side to side and not equal in up and down too. The rounds are not touching vertically, just horizontally creating a jamming effect. If we make that angle steeper the force would be directed vertically and not so much horizontally.

I may not be explaining it so you guy can understand it, its too late at night.
            You're coming in loud and clear Mark.

It seems the ideal mag would be so wide that we'd need a magwell wider than any current AR, correct? So then would the ideal mag be so wide that it'd affect reliable feeding with the center line of the ammo being shifted so far to the outside? At least with the standard bolt and extension.

Then could what your suggesting have a the inverse problem?

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

I would tend to think a new Grendel mag wouldn't need to be any wider than any of the current 7.62X39 AK mags. Measure any AK mag , steel or plastic and see what mag well width is needed.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                It seems the ideal mag would be so wide that we'd need a magwell wider than any current AR, correct?
                Correct. For a 6.5 Grendel PMAG, the mag well would have to be wider even than the LWRC SIX8 mag well.
                So then would the ideal mag be so wide that it'd affect reliable feeding with the center line of the ammo being shifted so far to the outside?
                I don't see why. AFAIK, the stainless steel mags currently used achieve proper stacking. The centerline of the cartridges in a "SIX5" PMAG would not change; only the external width of the magazine would.
                Then could what your suggesting have a the inverse problem?
                Yes, indeed. Doing as he suggests would result in shifting the centerline of the rounds inward.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by montana View Post
                  I would tend to think a new Grendel mag wouldn't need to be any wider than any of the current 7.62X39 AK mags. Measure any AK mag , steel or plastic and see what mag well width is needed.
                  Good point! I didn't even think about that. It's nice having people here smarter than me who can point these things out.

Does anyone have one they can try filling with Grendel ammo? If not I'll order one from Joebob.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    Good point! I didn't even think about that. It's nice having people here smarter than me who can point these things out.

Does anyone have one they can try filling with Grendel ammo? If not I'll order one from Joebob.
                    Save your money. It's been done.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2011

Curvature of the AK mags doesn't work well in 30 round configuration. Up to 15-20 rounds they were fine, after that it jammed badly due to curve of mag that was done to work with the tapered case 7.62x39 cartridge.

We tried it.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2011

I starting to lose the point of this thread. Wasn't this thread started in order to find a polymer mag for the Grendel and not to redesign a metal mag? I for one use ASC 6.5 and PRI 6.8 Mags with no problems at all. Personally I like the PRI Mags the best and never had a malfunction with one in over 5,000 rounds fired using 15 round PRI mags.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

I starting to lose the point of this thread. Wasn't this thread started in order to find a polymer mag for the Grendel and not to redesign a metal mag? I for one use ASC 6.5 and PRI 6.8 Mags with no problems at all. Personally I like the PRI Mags the best and never had a malfunction with one in over 5,000 rounds fired using 15 round PRI mags.
                          There is no 30 round plastic or metal mag for the Grendel. If some billionaire wished to make one they could take the width of the AK mag and design it to the Grendel case taper. If a lower could be made with the new mags and match the AR platform then it would be feasible, but then it would only work with the new Grendel mags. All of my older AA magazines have functioned flawlessly in my rifles but a strong 30 round P-mag would be nice . If a dedicated 6.5 Grendel rifle were built with new mags it would be another choice for for Grendel owners to argue about pros and cons LOL.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2011

Sometime when I nothing better to do, I'll design and machine a billet Aluminum 7075T6 Grendel mag. Wonder how the feed lips would last?

But it would be a pretty mag. Machine each half and then weld them together and machine the weld line smooth. Machine the follower and floor plate.

Hmmm What Time?

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

I starting to lose the point of this thread. Wasn't this thread started in order to find a polymer mag for the Grendel and not to redesign a metal mag?
                              Not exactly. According to the OP, the purpose of this thread was to convince Precision Firearms to offer a receiver with wider mag well which would accept a 6.5 Grendel PMAG, a la the LWRC SIX8.

So, are you convinced?

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2011

No - It wont work so the idea is not worth pursuing.

Settled a old question decisively.

I don't think we have the power to have Magpul make a 6.5 Grendel Pmag. I will however look around at SHOT for another company that may be willing to produce a polymer mag. Not Lancer since they still have steel feed lips.

I would like to see a polymer mag that doesn't score the brass, allows drops, can be run over with a tank, get shot through, survives a sand storm, and still perform flawlessly and reload itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X