• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Market Update Q4 2014

Market Update Q4 2014

I have followed the AR15 and AR10 market since I was a kid in the 1980's. My childhood dream gun was a "CAR-15", only chambered in 7.62 NATO. Back then, there were only collector's pieces consisting of original Dutch Armalite pre-1986 guns, as well as parts kits - lowers made on US steel or aluminum hand machined lowers of varying quality, fit, and feel.

Original Hollywood ArmaLite AR10

A lot has changed, starting with Knight Armament Corporation's introduction of the Eugene Stoner designed SR-25 in 1993, then Eagle Arms/ArmaLite Inc. in 1996. Since then, the AR10 market has slowly grown, with new companies coming on board almost every year since 2004.

KAC SR-25 Match Rifle 1993

In case you haven't noticed, the AR10 market is exploding this year, and mostly not in a good way. That said, it shows that there is a very high demand for AR rifles in larger calibers, mainly .308 Winchester.

The way the market is playing out right now appears to be this:

* Several companies who had plans to introduce an AR10 were retarded in their efforts somewhat after Sandy Hook, but have been able to see that 5.56 and .300 AAC are saturated to very low price points, and very low margins, with a lot of DIY types cutting out most of the opportunity for complete gun profits.

* Since so many customers want more performance than .223 Remington and 300 AAC, .308 WInchester/7.62x51 NATO is the next most common caliber, especially outside of the AR15 market.

* With a long history of AR10 design and development already underway, several companies have realized that the only way to get back those margins is to keep their designs under control in house, so more variation has been introduced to the market.

* We are seeing several companies offering economically priced, forged 7075 aluminum receiver sets following the AR10 pattern. Two that have been released this year are from Palmetto State Armory, and Aero Precision.

* Customers assume that they can purchase these receiver sets, buy the remaining parts from the market, slap them together, and all will be fine when they head to the range. Most are totally unaware of the AR10 minefield of parts non-compatibility, which is only widening, to include the PSA receivers.

* Most are unaware that you need specific recoil system parts for the AR10, including different buffer and recoil spring lengths, different bolt catches, different TD and Pivot pins, and that most of the barrel manufacturers have done basically zero research on what gas port locations and diameters work with the majority of ammunition on the market.

* In short, most of the parts on the market that are sold as parts were never tested with the other parts from other vendors as to fit, function, or safety. Customers who thought they could approach an AR10 build like an AR15 are learning the hard way that there is much, much more to it than this.

* To add even more radical changes to this market, I feel that the new "DPMS" GII has made the previous receiver and BCG designs obsolete when looking at weight and balance of the guns. They went with a totally redesigned BCG, barrel extension, receiver set, gas system, and made the gun feel like an AR15 in terms of weight.

Since it is chambered in .308 Winchester, I have no interest in that, but it is going to make a great platform for other calibers, however, you will need to hand load for most of the others.

I had a chance to hear the impact on steel between my 16" 6.5 Grendel and my buddy's 26" .308 this weekend, and I gotta say, I had a very hard time telling the difference between a 123gr 6.5mm and a 168gr SMK, with the SMK leaving the muzzle much faster.

For customers looking at AR10's, I would suggest saving the thousands that I spent learning that .308 wasn't going to make me happy, and just go straight to a 6.5 Grendel AR15. You will have factory ammo that is meant to work in the AR15, whereas a lot of the ammunition for .308's just does not work well with the untested gas systems that are springing up all over the after market for AR10's.

You will have half the recoil, less wind drift, and 85% of the .308's energy on target. You will have AR15 parts commonality in furniture, recoil systems, receivers, lower parts, charge handles, and armorer tools if you are the DIY type. If you absolutely have to have .308 Winchester, I would get a GII 20" Hunter, see how it shoots, and go from there with trigger options.

If you already know you want to pull the barrel, get an MOE or AP4, have a custom tool made for the unique extension, get your barrel pulled, and have a highly competent AR10 smith do the install of the caliber and barrel profile of your choice, taking into consideration the gas port location and diameter, what powder/bullet combos you will be using, and your accuracy expectations.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Nice write up.

A buddy and I had talked about building our own just recently but possibly in .260 REM.
    Purpose would be long range tactical.

What would your thoughts be on this project. I.E. Cost, accuracy etc compared to a 6.5 Grendel build (AR 15)

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

When I went that route, I chose a company with a reputation for doing really good work on gas guns. That was GA Precision. This was before the GAP-10, so I was able to send them a receiver set, BCG, LPK, receiver extension tube, buffer & recoil spring, charge handle, handguard with barrel nut, and let them do the barrel profiling, chambering, fitting to the extension, gas port work, gas block, accurizing, etc.

I have well over $3000 in that rifle, and it now sits in the case, but does offer a competitive advantage against .308's at matches. There was one Sniper match I shot where we had to do a benchrest stage at 600yds, winner has the highest score count on bullseye paper targets. Everyone else had bolt guns, and I was the only one with counts in the black. One other guy had one hit on the white on his target. They just didn't call the wind as well as I did on that stage, but I wonder where I would have been with a .308 Win.

You definitely have more velocity than a Grendel with .260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor, and can push the 130gr bullets pretty fast. If I were using the 1993-2013 BCG size, I would look at the Lancer or Seekins billet sets and build from there. I would also consider the GII as a donor gun.

Lancer L30 2014 Advanced Large Frame AR

Seekins SP-10

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

(0:35-1:20) Would that be painful to shoot?

Comment

Working...
        X