• montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

AK-12 produced in 6.5 Grendel?

• Mountain Man
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

I like it. A lot.
    "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

I have a gunsmith buddy who built a AK in 6.8 and his customer gave him a Mauser barrel to work with.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

The AK modification sounds pretty interesting. I have no idea how you would do that.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Very cool, if true. But, Gawd, those Russkies go out of their way to make ugly guns!
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Eye of the beholder, John. Eye of the beholder.

I'd rate looks of the basic AK on a par with a "plain Jane" AR15.*

With a little cosmetic surgery, IMO an AK can look pretty good.

*Nobody, not even Russkis, makes uglier rifles than the French...

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Maybe not Grendel at all...

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Yeah, Stan, THAT AK is lookin' pretty good.

Biodsl, that article is definitely referencing a unique Russki 6.5x39, which just goes to show that us Americans are not the only ones afflicted with N.I.H. syndrome. There is not a soul created since the world began that can resist fiddling with a cartridge design! Having said THAT, it is my speculation that any AK-12 sold to the U.S. market would be chambered in genuine 6.5 Grendel from Barnaul.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Found a thread on a Russian forum, with a post which contained an interesting drawing.
                  Notice that the author apparently expected the 6.5x39 to have a steel-core projectile:

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                    Found a thread on a Russian forum, with a post which contained an interesting drawing.
                    Notice that the author apparently expected the 6.5x39 to have a steel-core projectile:

http://guns.allzip.org/topic/48/950768.html#p104
                    Very interesting find Stan. It makes me wish I could read Russian. I could see from the links that the've scoped us out...
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                      Very interesting find Stan. It makes me wish I could read Russian. I could see from the links that the've scoped us out...
                      I didn't notice the links to this forum. That makes me think the 6,5x39 drawings may be 6.5 Grendel, and depiction of the steel-core bullet probably based upon Bill Alexander saying that's what the Wolf FMJ would have.

I used google translate on the title. It reads: 6.5mm intermediate cartridge. Back to basics

Curious that the drawing I posted is not visible now...

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

P.S. I just noticed that post #60 has a brief comment about the AK-12, which translates as: "Test AK-12 cal. 6.5x39 clearly showed its 1.5 fold advantage in almost all characteristics in comparison with the standard calibers"

P.P.S. I see they have the same kind of discussions as on this forum. Reference post #102:

"But in general the AK-47 should have been done originally in 6.5x39 or 6.5x42"

"Absolutely in dyrdochka! Were in fact the same experience in 1945 about 6.35x42 - but won the economy - more precisely, not to scientific research was then ...
                        But damn why in 1974, did we step on the same rake as the Americans?! IMHO just 6.35x42 cartridge ideal for assault rifles, even better than 6.5x38 GRENDEL!"

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Good work stanc, thanks for the translation.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

P.S. I just noticed that post #60 has a brief comment about the AK-12, which translates as: "Test AK-12 cal. 6.5x39 clearly showed its 1.5 fold advantage in almost all characteristics in comparison with the standard calibers"

P.P.S. I see they have the same kind of discussions as on this forum. Reference post #102:

"Absolutely in dyrdochka! Were in fact the same experience in 1945 about 6.35x42 - but won the economy - more precisely, not to scientific research was then ...
                            But damn why in 1974, did we step on the same rake as the Americans?! IMHO just 6.35x42 cartridge ideal for assault rifles, even better than 6.5x38 GRENDEL!"
                            Hee hee, we aren't so different after all.
                            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

That's hilarious. Russians have a lot of funny euphamisms that I quite enjoy. There is a sentiment from the more professional types that 5.45x39 is inferior in many ways to good ol' 7.62x39. They had a lot of blue on blue problems with 5.45 because the projectiles are so prone to yawing, that in urbanized or built-up terrain, you get skipping off structures into your assault elements who are in position to enter and clear, with the support by fire positions having to be very careful with lead element trace.

Lead element trace is a phrase used by gunners when tracking their supporting fires in front of a maneuver element, and is a critical task that comes into play during infantry live fire exercises.

The 6.35x42 actually would make a great assault rifle cartridge, since it is flat, with more energy than the 5.56 pills.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X