Should I run the appropriate drill bit in the barrel gas port after Ceracote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TacBlade
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2014

Should I run the appropriate drill bit in the barrel gas port after Ceracote?

Getting my barrel Ceracoted. Should I clean out the barrel gas port with a drill bit? Not going to use a drill, just going to turn it with my fingers. Or is this necessary?
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Since it is measured in thousandths I would make sure it is CLEAN. My personal opinion. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Who ever Cerakotes your barrel should cover your gas port with heat resistant tape before Cerakoting. They "should not" Cerakote over your gas port un-covered. Was your barrel gas port already Cerakoted un-covered?

Comment

• TacBlade
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2014

I have not got my barrel back yet, but I was thinking about the details to assemble my upper. I may of just jumped the gun here?

Comment

• Mountain Man
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

When I used to do Cerakote/Duracoat for a living, I would just avoid getting too much material in the port if it was exposed (usually a gas block was already installed). This method was enough to never have a problem with .223 and AR-10s. Occasionally we'd poke a toothpick into the gas port before coating to mask it up, but I never found it to be a 100% necessary step and I was the one doing function checks on all the guns before they went back to customers. I would assume your applicator probably has a similar mindset, especially if he has to do the re assembly as well.
          "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF? I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Comment

• Mtnev
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

Nothing but good can happen when you spray ceramic laden epoxy into the bore.

All of the coating I have done involves stripping down every single part as far as you can within reason and masking/plugging all holes and important threads before blasting/degreasing/coating.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mtnev View Post
              Nothing but good can happen when you spray ceramic laden epoxy into the bore.

All of the coating I have done involves stripping down every single part as far as you can within reason and masking/plugging all holes and important threads before blasting/degreasing/coating.
              This ^. You don't want ceramic particulate matter mixed with industrial-strength epoxy hardener in your gas port. I high temp tape the gas block journal, as well as plug the muzzle, and cover the entire barrel extension.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X