• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Nice stick.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      First thing I did was check the squareness of the upper with my facing tool, and it was already square. I had that happen with AA and Colt uppers as well.

I bedded the barrel on this one, and Red Loc-tited the gas block. A point on gas blocks: This Sadlak block indexed off the shoulder perfectly, so I didn't need to space it, but on another one I just did, I had to space it off the shoulder. Always measure each individual gas block and port location, even if they come from the same company.
      That's good to know. I passed one up on the cheap at a gun show earlier this year because I didn't know anything about them. If I recall correctly their company is relatively close to me and could probably pick up a spare.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Just got back from the range today to check my zero and shoot some groups at 100yds with the 17.6" Lilja Grendel. It's a shooter. I can feel this gun wants to bughole badly, but it printed several sub-MOA groups today. The first group when I shot for initial zero was 1". 2nd group was .824", and the last group was .659". This was with factory Hornady 123gr SST. This gun is going to sing with hand loads. Keep in mind this is a lightweight barrel under the handguard.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The week before Christmas, I took it out for some long range shooting just to function test it, get an initial zero, basic break-in of the gun.

At 100yds with 123gr SST factory load, it appeared to be around 1 MOA, but the targets got pulled down before I could measure them up close, so I just went off what I saw in the spotting scope.

At 470yds, I printed a group on steel that was basically rounds impacting on top of each other. You could see the same splash on impact on top of impact, and I could spot my own hits since it's so pleasant to shoot.

It's a very lightweight set-up, so it wants to get squirrely on you, but it makes an awesome little hunting/target rig.

I was also able to get hits at 1045yds on a 22" steel plate with it. I'll work up a better load than the factory fodder with the 123gr and CFE223.

For comparison, I jumped on my .260 Remington gas gun, which is literally twice the weight, and I could not spot my hits due to the recoil, some primers were flattened and cratered, while others were dimpled. I was pushing the 129gr SST at 2750-2800fps on top of a load of H4350. My jaw was hurting from the .260 Rem initial recoil impulse as well, to the point I didn't want to shoot it anymore.

The charge handle clearance on the AR10 is such that we can't put the cheek piece where it needs to be, so you end up with odd residual muscle input that takes a beating from the recoil, at least I do. I need to do some tuning on the .260 Rem to get it to run smoothly so that I can spot my own hits without an offensive muzzle break. I'll probably drop in a JP AR10 SCS.

Another thing with the .260 Rem is that I really need to uniform my necks, or else the ES is all over the place, and my case length stretches considerably with each shot because of the pressure. There is a lot of work at the bench required to keep a gas gun fed if it runs on high pressure, and you hand load for it. No way can I run factory through it, so there's my options.

With the Grendel, none of those issues are there, and every single factory load specifically works in the AR15's gas system.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Heywood
            Warrior
            • Aug 2013

Nice lookin' rifle. Looks nice and shoots great.
            I hear what you're sayin' about trying to tame the recoil of the 260 without using a big brake. I would rather deal with the recoil than the report of a brake any day of the week.
            Please keep us up to date on your load development.
            quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!

Comment

• Adam Lilja
              Warrior
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by albireo View Post
              Was your Lilja barrel part of the original group buy or did you order it later? I ask because Lilja does not list the 304 as an option on their website now. Looking forward to the range report.
              FYI we still have some original GB 304 profiles if you want one. He took them off the list because they weren't quite SAAMI.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Whenever I've gone to the range over the past few months, I take this carbine out to get more trigger time with it. I still haven't shot hand loads in it yet.

Here are some groups. The best 100yd group so far, as well as some rapid fire groups at 200yds. The thing about the 200yd groups is that they are a combination of 123gr SST and 120gr Scenar-L, with (3) 8-10rd groups shown. I wanted to see what type of practical accuracy is available for hunting purposes, not a best-case shot-from-rest bench. Another thing is that one of those groups is a combination of shooting off the bench block, then bipod supported.

Top left is rapid at 200yds, mixed between 123gr SST and 120gr Scenar-L. Worst group so far, 2.295" at 200yds with 2 loads, 10rds. Elevation POI is same for both. I'll take that all day long for such a lightweight little blaster.

Top Right is a combination of block and then bipod supported with both loads.

Bottom left is the same at 200yds.

Bottom right is 100yds with 123gr SST.

Keep in mind the 200yd groups are with two different loads, two different bullet weights, 8-10rd groups. All well within vital zone on medium game.
                Last edited by LRRPF52; 08-26-2015, 06:13 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Nice results. For a blaster, it shoots quite well. With results like these, it's hard to argue a case to begin reloading for it.

Were it mine, I'd tear it down to discover what was wrong with it. Maybe, upon reassembly, it would open the groups and give me an excuse to hand load it...
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I've really been enjoying this lightweight Lilja barreled carbine.

Results with 129gr ABLR and 120gr TSX on CFE exceeded my expectations, and it's a pleasant gun to shoot.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1075 tech
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2015

Sweet looking rifles. What hand guard is that on the second one in the pic?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Apex Machine Gator Guard. I think I'll put something lighter on the 16" and use the Gator Guard for a suppressed 300 BLK project.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X