• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacklab
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

What do you think of a

24 wssm ar build. I have 204, 223 soon to be 223 Wylde and the ol mighty GRENDEL. I think this will be a happy medium between the 223 Wylde and Grendel. Other thought or ideas welcomed.
    Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

They shoot like lasers but I think they have a rep for being barrel burners. I also think the mags are fairly special(single stack due to case dia.) and pretty pricey. If myemory serves me right I think $90-100/PC for mags

Comment

• Sniper338
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

I wouldnt. Itd do a 6mm grendel way before that.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

If IIRC, the 243 wssm, is more like an Ackley improved 243-3400 fps.
        Once you get past 3000fps., that's where the bbl. wear accelerates.

I chatted with Mike Milli from D-tech last year of all his calibers. I may get up there this spring to have him build me a-.35--.375 cal. bruiser, bbl/, & bolt for the AR.

The 6mm turbo looks really good.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

If you go that route, I would have D-Tech do it as well. Also look at the .25 WSSM. Biggest problem is finding brass. My buddy scours the earth for rare brass, and he really likes the WSSM cases, but they are like hens teeth. He said he can double his money on them after he pays full retail for them on any number of the shelves he finds them on at LGS's along his travel routes when he is away on business.

He made a killing last year just turning around brass. He tries to hold onto the WSSM's because he has a wildcat planned on that case. We suspect they are only run on machines every 3 years or so.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sniper338
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Yep brass availability will kill this caliber build quick.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

It's out there- yet hard to find.

Comment

• Buster
                Warrior
                • Mar 2012

Creedmoor Sports is really pushing the 6mm HAGAR

Comment

• lrgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                  Creedmoor Sports is really pushing the 6mm HAGAR
                  Which has better performance, 6mm AR TURBO 40 or the 6mm Hagar?

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

D tech also has the 6.5 wssm- bugger ! Yet back to reality, the Grendel will hold barrel longetivty to a maximum, as compared to the 6.5 wssm Dtech.,,,, oh man,,,I want- yet not,,

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

The AR turbo does, but pushing a light bullet compared to most Grendel loads. The Hagar has more meat on the bolt.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rwh
                        If you go to 6mmar.com you will find load data for both the turbo 40 and hagar. There are loads that push 105 gr bullets in the 2800-2900 fps range for both cartridges. The 6mm ar turbo 40 can use lapua brass, the hagar brass is from hornady.

The mystery to me is why we have to be careful to keep pressure down in the grendel to avoid breaking our bolts but the 6mm cartridges are able to come close to the performance of a 6mm BR in an AR cartridge. Why don't the 6mm AR and hagar cartridges have the same pressure limits as the grendel?
                        I think the MAP of the Hagar is a bit high at 55,000psi. It should really be down at maybe 52,000-53,4000psi because of hoop strength.

If you look at Hodgdon's data for 6.8, they don't exceed 54,000psi, whereas Accurate Powders has data going up to 58,850psi. Nobody ever took real ownership of the 6.8 in its development, so it's all over the map when it comes to working pressures.

The thing I like about the Hagar is that Hornady makes brass for it, and chose to address performance with more case capacity, rather than ramping up pressures over 55ksi, but I would still look for loads that keep the peak pressure down. For mag-feeding, it's limited to the shorter weight 6mm pills, and hi-power shooters will have single load COL lots for the longer distances, pushing the 100-107gr pills.

The full potential of a cartridge like the 6mm Hagar would be realized in a slightly longer action with the ability to load to 2.420". They have clipped magazine loads at 2.340", getting in the 2700-2800fps range with 105's from a 28" barrel. That's where you cut out the front wall of the magazine so the tips can clear it, and allow longer COL.

The 6mm AR's allow you to load the long bullets and feed from the mag.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• achristian8
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2014

I had a .243 wssm. It was an awesome gun. In an ar platform the wssm rounds are hard to beat. Finding good brass was a never ending quest and resizing requires a press that cams over. Brass was about 80 dollars with shipping for 50 when I was buying it. I sold the upper and bought a grendel because it is very hard to build up any amount of ammo for a wssm. Mike a d tech gave me lots of useful info when I was in the wssm game.
                          Adam

Comment

• Blacklab
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2012

Hey thanks for all your input guys. I guess I better start looking for brass. lol. Burning the barrel is no issue for me. No competitive shooting here. As long as I get 1 moa or close to that i'm a happy shooter. My Grendel is another story...........hehehehe. Thanks again.
                            Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

Working...
                            X