• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Silencerco Omega

Emailed Silencerco and they say the Omega is rated to 16" for the Grendel. Which totally sucks! I was looking at getting one for my 12.5" build. Guess I'll need to move on to another can.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Well that sucks. I figured it'd be good for shorter than that.

The Templar Ark30 I ordered (SBR PMS version) is rated for 5.56 down to 7" barrels. I figured that'd be plenty safe for a Grendel at 12.5". I haven't received it yet, so I can't say how good/bad it may be.

The new Thunderbeast cans look like they might be good too.

Liberty was willing to make me a custom 6.5 bored version of their "Triumph" can. They wanted a steep premium for it though, so i went with the (also pricey) Templar instead.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

For some reason they are comparing the Grendel to a .308 since that's the same length that it's rated to. I think the tech has something confused, or maybe not.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• keystone183
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

I would be pretty confident the reason they say that is because the have not tested it. Rated to 10" on 556. I would not hesitate to run it on a 10" grendel.

Comment

• lead chucker
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I have a cyclone that I intend to use on a 12.5" grendel build. I use it on my 8" blkout with sub's and super. I also used it on a 7.5" 5.56.

Comment

• PigOPs
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Guess it's a good thing I went with the Saker 7.62... I was think my next purchase may be the omega though... You ought to press them on it a little bit explaining that the pressures associated with the Grendel are comparable to the 5.56.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Grendel pressures are lower at the chamber. Depending on the load, it can be elongated farther out, but a can that will handle 5.56 should have zero issues with 6.5 Grendel.

The ThunderBeast Ultra 7 has been undergoing abusive testing on a short barreled 300 Win Mag. They've already hit 3000 rounds, with no issues. The new Ultra series has been pushed to the max in terms of performance, lightweight, and strength. The cans felt like .22LR aluminum cans, they are that light. Blew my mind really.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 81police
                Warrior
                • Feb 2013

Just saw this thread. I've got an Omega on order to put on an 18" Grendel. Will post thoughts on it in 6-7 months LOL
                John 11:25-26

Comment

• burnsome
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2011

I run a 308 Gemtec HVT on my 12-inch Grendel. No problems whatsoever. Just updated the rifle with a rail system and adjustable gas block. runs like a champ and isnt too heavy to lug around in the woods. I'm thinking towards updating the optics with an IR MkII thermal scope this year.

Last edited by burnsome; 03-05-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

+1

Gemtec HVT stacks up well for SBR use:

Features:
                    Caliber: 7.62mm NATO / .308
                    Sound Reduction: 30 dB
                    Length: 8.2"
                    Diameter: 1.5"
                    Weight: 24 oz.
                    Material: Stainless Steel
                    Finish: Matte Black Cerakote with Reduced Visual-IR Signature
                    Mount: 5/8-24 (2A) Thread

For Barrels:
                    16" or longer 7.62x51/.308 WIN
                    10.3" or longer 5.56x45/.223
                    10.3" or longer 6.8 SPC
                    8" or longer 7.62x39

7.5" or longer 300 BLK
                    (Emphasis mine)
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• lead chucker
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Grendel pressures are lower at the chamber. Depending on the load, it can be elongated farther out, but a can that will handle 5.56 should have zero issues with 6.5 Grendel.

The ThunderBeast Ultra 7 has been undergoing abusive testing on a short barreled 300 Win Mag. They've already hit 3000 rounds, with no issues. The new Ultra series has been pushed to the max in terms of performance, lightweight, and strength. The cans felt like .22LR aluminum cans, they are that light. Blew my mind really.
                      I love my Cyclone but I hope to purchase a Tbac ultra 7 in the next few months. The grendel is a great round suppressed. Much quieter than you would think!

Comment

• burnsome
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2011

Comment

Working...
                        X