• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKYNET KC
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2014

Billet Upper and Lower recomendations

After making a profile on here...a long time ago...then life happening, I am finally about to get a 6.5G build underway. Just looking to make the big commitment to a matching upper and lower. Right now Northtech Defense is my top choice. Who else should I consider? Mega? Black Rain Ordinance? San Tan?

What are your thoughts?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Precision Firearms would be my first choice, then Seekins Precision.

Comment

• olde sarge
      Warrior
      • May 2014

I guess there are a number of good manufacturers doing billet but after my experience with Precision Firearms and the quality upper/lower I bought from Mark I would buy from him if a billet setup was in cards again. I think I will buy several of his new forged uppers and a forged lower when I have the funds to do so based on the quality machining he did on my billet upper/lower. Hope this helps in your search. John

Comment

• Apparition
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

I want a megalithic upper. Been using Mega for a while and am satisfied. I haven't had experience with any others though.

Comment

• spectra
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

I have a few Megas and they are nice. I also tried the SanTan and they are ok. If I do get another brand I think Seekins will be the one.

I am left handed and only go for brands that are ambi.

Comment

• SKYNET KC
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Apparition View Post
            I want a megalithic upper. Been using Mega for a while and am satisfied. I haven't had experience with any others though.
            Do you think there is a harmonic advantage to having the hand rail connected to the upper? Or is it really just for the badass factor?

Comment

• spectra
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by SKYNET KC View Post
              Do you think there is a harmonic advantage to having the hand rail connected to the upper? Or is it really just for the badass factor?
              I had one on a pistol build and loved the way it looked and felt in your hands. My 2 Megas I have now are not a mono and wish one was. One build can not use the mono rail as the dimensions do not fit the can. I am on the fence to get another billet upper and mono rail or just use the rail and upper I have now for my Grendel build.

And to answer the question I do think the way the rails mount can help. Mega, Noveske, Seekins and a few others use it. I am also just a fan of the smooth look of them.
              Last edited by spectra; 02-10-2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Apparition
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by SKYNET KC View Post
                I just like the looks and simplicity of it. I'd probably use the level also. I see no advantage.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I actually think there can be a mechanical advantage with a monolithic upper receiver.

Any stress that is normally transferred from the handguard to the barrel nut, for example, is non-existent with a monolithic upper. This can come from a heavy gun with a bipod, or from a shooting sling where a lot of pressure is applied to the fore end. There are other upper receivers that get around this by offering an extended mounting extension integral to the upper, without any contact with the barrel nut. The Seekins iMRT is an example of that.

It can also offer increased life on the bolt in guns that are run hot with dynamic sling tension, but most monolithic uppers seem to be used on heavier precision guns that aren't used as short ranges blasters, unless we're talking about the LMT MRP.

Free-floating the AR15 pretty much gets rid of this, so the actual benefits may be so small that they are not quantifiable by the consumer or our experiences. The most practical is as Klem mentions, and that is that no consideration for mounting location and cantilever scope mounts is necessary with a monolithic upper. It also offers a unified mounting plane for clip-on optics in front of your day optic, when looking at Thermals and other Night Observation Devices.

From a subjective standpoint, the monolithic upper feels very strong, solid, and gives a secure feeling to the gun in the user's hands.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• spectra
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    I actually think there can be a mechanical advantage with a monolithic upper receiver.

Any stress that is normally transferred from the handguard to the barrel nut, for example, is non-existent with a monolithic upper.

From a subjective standpoint, the monolithic upper feels very strong, solid, and gives a secure feeling to the gun in the user's hands.

I agree 100% with this.

I did really like the feel of the Mega Mono. I have not had a Megalithic and not sure I want to pay the price for one of those. They look real nice but....

Comment

• wilecoyote
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

My Grendel is built on Seekins billet upper and lower. I like them a lot as much as I like Mega (my standard AR brand). The curved mag well is not bad. I didn't know if I would like it, but it is nice. The machining and finish are flawless. The upper and lower are also teamed up with Seekins SP3RV3 rail. The combination is well fit and nice.

I am now at another "one more thing, and it'll be done..." point. I am waiting for an UBR to come in. I was going to replace the ACS on it with a PRS, but thought I would give the UBR a try. Hope it works out otherwise another part will end up listed for sale.

Any of the billets listed you probably cannot go wrong with. Just choose which appeals to you most and go with it.
                      Last edited by wilecoyote; 02-11-2015, 02:36 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Check out Sun Devil. Dave is a super guy to work with. Several other builders put there stamp on his upper/lower combos. Lots of options and colors too.
                        NRA Lifer

Comment

• Apparition
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Klem
                          Knights SR15 and Seekins both have re-positioned the rear take-down pin spring and detent from the horizontal to vertical. Seekins retains theirs with a tiny Allen screw. Knights retains theirs with the handgrip in the same way the safety spring and detent is secured MILSPEC. No more fiddly buffer spring/detent assembly's.
                          On my last several builds I have shortened the springs and held them in place with a set screw. Very cheap mod and no more "fiddly buffer spring/detent assembly's" works on both forged and billet.

Comment

• SKYNET KC
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2014

Great info on this thread. Thanks a ton guys. It's gonna be hard for me to sell one of my bolt guns just to buy an upper and lower. Ha.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2011

Another thing to keep in mind is: those that Machine from 7075 from those that use 6061.

Ambi bolt release is being explored as of now.
                              "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                              X