• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

AA 12 1/2" forward grip and FDE Grendel mags

I possibly want to change out my forward grip or tube. Will taking it off affect the accuracy or integrity of the upper as I am sure Loctite was used at AA when it was assembled. Also should I get a shorter or longer one. This is only used with a bipod so where the bipod attaches is probably important?? Also looks?? Too long might look....

I believe heat might be needed to remove the grip?? I am very hesitant!!

Also has any one seen Grendel mags in FDE?

Thanks.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Is your hand guard composite? Does your hand guard have a proprietary barrel nut that would have to be changed to assemble a new hand guard?
    Last edited by montana; 02-26-2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

ASC sells Grendel mags in FDE, Black, bright green and for the discerning shooter...pink.

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Yes it is composite.
        I will need to call AA to find out about the nut.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

May I ask you why you want to change your composite stock? They seem to be very light and I have seen no down side to them.

Comment

• lrgrendel
            Warrior
            • Jul 2013

There is nothing wrong with it. It is an AA 24" Overwatch. It shoots pretty good. Weight is not a concern to me.
            My gun does not look finished. Maybe I should try painting the grip with that FDE paint available at Brownells????

That is also why I am looking for mags in FDE.

The photo of the grip is just an example of the type I am looking at.

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

KLEM

This might be a little insensitive and not politically correct but.......

Lived in Perth WA for a year. Not too many pink AR mags for sale when I was there!!! Great city. Played rugby, drank too much beer and had the time of my life!

Pink guns. Really?? What companies do just to sell their products....

I might regret this!!
              Last edited by lrgrendel; 02-27-2015, 06:45 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]6241[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6243[/ATTACH]There is nothing wrong with it. It is an AA 24" Overwatch. It shoots pretty good. Weight is not a concern to me.
                My gun does not look finished. Maybe I should try painting the grip with that FDE paint available at Brownells????

That is also why I am looking for mags in FDE.

The photo of the grip is just an example of the type I am looking at.
                I have many of the MI hand guards you pictured and I can tell you your composite is stronger and will stay cooler than the MI aluminum hand guard with sustained shooting. The MI hand guard uses a proprietary barrel nut and you will have to remove your gas block,flash hider and barrel nut you already have on to install it. You will have to measure your gas block height as it may not fit under the MI hand guard if you wish to use a long hand guard. If you are experienced building AR platforms it shouldn't be too difficult. You will also have to use green loctite on the outside of your MI barrel nut before you attach the MI hand guard or it will walk forward with use. You can not over tighten the Hand guard nuts or you will break the nubs that fit into the barrel nut. I have no experience changing a glued on composite hand guard or the type of barrel wrench needed. It maybe more challenging. If you are like many of us who throw money and caution to the wind and cant leave well enough alone have at it. But if you don't wish to spend a lot of money for aesthetics I would look at using Duracoat or similar products . There are people who have done great things with spray cans on this forum. I personally like the way your rifle looks but whats more important is how it shoots. I know a few people who are replacing their MI hand guards and want to install composite hand guards like you already have.
                Last edited by montana; 02-27-2015, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Montana

Thanks for the detailed response.
                  I am concerned if I dismantle it that it won't shoot that well after I put on the new grip and put it back together.

I may go the paint route BUT am also concerned I will mess it up!

A buddy mentioned this to me. (The photo)
                  Last edited by lrgrendel; 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

KLEM

This might be a little insensitive and not politically correct but.......

Pink guns. Really?? What companies do just to sell their products....

I might regret this!!
                    Indeed! Best not to think about it too much. 360 million people, plus the rest of the world. Someone out there wants their mags in pink...

I find pink mags go well with my underpants on my head.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      Indeed! Best not to think about it too much. 360 million people, plus the rest of the world. Someone out there wants their mags in pink...

I find pink mags go well with my underpants on my head.
                      This is getting weird so I thought I would add this:

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kSncpUnUo
                        Brilliant! That clip had me in stitches.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kSncpUnUo

Awsome!! Not too many pink mags in that video!

Comment

• jurassic
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

I possibly want to change out my forward grip or tube. Will taking it off affect the accuracy or integrity of the upper as I am sure Loctite was used at AA when it was assembled. Also should I get a shorter or longer one. This is only used with a bipod so where the bipod attaches is probably important?? Also looks?? Too long might look....

I believe heat might be needed to remove the grip?? I am very hesitant!!

Also has any one seen Grendel mags in FDE?

Thanks.
                            It's been mentioned several times that the AA hand guard nuts are basically glued on. Several have had to resort to heat and lots of colorful language to get them removed. I would call AA before doing anything if you intend to remove it.

Comment

Working...
                            X