• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EPeterson
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

1000 rounds later...

I haven't cleaned my barrel yet and I've shot around 1000 rounds through it. Mainly hand loads with cfe. When do guys typically clean your barrels?

Here's the best group today, 3 shots at 100yds:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by EPeterson; 05-29-2015, 03:11 AM.
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Whut whut WHAAATTT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Whaddya mean ya' didn't clean it? LOL!

Feels great, doesn't it?

It's pretty liberating knowing you don't have to swab the crap out of your bore every time you turn around. You get to actually enjoy your rifle, and your barrel will last a lot longer since you aren't cleaning it to death.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Savage Shooter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

If I am at the range, I typically clean my rifles after about 25 rounds, because most of my shooting time is spent in load development, so I want to keep consistency at a maximum. On the rare occasions I get to just practice, I'll typically do a light cleaning after about 50 rounds at the range and then a full cleaning (focusing on copper removal) at home after every range session. I am probably at the end of the spectrum of cleaning too often, though. However, if I regularly got the accuracy you are showing in your picture, I'd probably quit cleaning altogether. Great group you shot!
      My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• EPeterson
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

It is great not having to swab it out. I apply some lube to the BCG every once and awhile and call it a day. My other barrels/rifles require more tlc, but not this one.

Comment

• EPeterson
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
          If I am at the range, I typically clean my rifles after about 25 rounds, because most of my shooting time is spent in load development, so I want to keep consistency at a maximum. On the rare occasions I get to just practice, I'll typically do a light cleaning after about 50 rounds at the range and then a full cleaning (focusing on copper removal) at home after every range session. I am probably at the end of the spectrum of cleaning too often, though. However, if I regularly got the accuracy you are showing in your picture, I'd probably quit cleaning altogether. Great group you shot!
          Thank you. This group is the exception to the rule, I typically shoot 1moa. I guarantee you that the rifle can out shoot me any day.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

I clean when accuracy goes away, or every spring before Boomershoot, whichever comes first.

Comment

• achristian8
              Warrior
              • Jun 2014

I clean after each range session. Typically every 200 rounds. By clean I mean I run a soaked patch of bore cleaner and a few dry patchs.
              Adam

Comment

• 65Whelen
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by EPeterson View Post
                It is great not having to swab it out. I apply some lube to the BCG every once and awhile and call it a day. My other barrels/rifles require more tlc, but not this one.
                EP, I'm with you on this. IMHO cleaning is overrated.

Comment

• Kikn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

I don't clean as often as my dad taught me to do. I usually only clean after extended sessions with a suppressor or after using some wolf ammo since it's corrosive. Other than that it shoots consistently enough to nothave to clean and then have to re foul the barrel.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Our cleaning habits have been hugely influenced by the realities of black powder with continued reinforcement by mercury fulminate in smokeless powders. Some odd batches ammunition in other calibers still have corrosive primers.

Then we have the high velocity freaks who routinely plate their barrels with copper (or lead when abusing cast bullets).

That history, coupled with current reminders for some cartridges, keeps the cleaning habit alive and well. That history, coupled with peer pressure, induces many of us to clean more often than necessary.

I have dropped back to doing a single pass with a bore snake and a bit of solvent after each range session of 30 - 40 rounds. (The TC Contender lets me get lots of range time without burning a lot of shots!)
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• SG4247
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2013

The Grendel is really good on the cleaning aspect, compared to other calibers.

The little 6.5 round is very efficient with a small powder charge, and the velocity is slow.

Barrel life is excellent too. All this makes for more fun and less cleaning.

My borecope has me cleaning at 200 rounds, using 8208 powder.

CFE may be better...
                      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• mwilkins
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2014

I used to never worry about cleaning the barrel. Just the bcg to make sure it is nice and smooth but since moving over and shooting suppressed only, cleaning of the chamber and BCG has become more routine. Currently burning 8208 but am considering working up some loads with cfe as well just to see how it does.

Comment

• lead chucker
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

I cleaned my BHW barrel last night after 65 rounds down in. It took one wet patch of carbon solvent and 4 dry patches to clean it. Shot suppressed also. Rounds shot were 123 gn amax with CFE. That powder burns very clean in my experience.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I cleaned my bbl as to the 08' break in period from AA. Took a while, end results were great. Have not cleaned it after last 200 rounds- 2 years ago.
                            LRRFp52=L52, claims that he rarely cleans the bbl. as copper glides on copper better the onto bbl steel.

Always check your chamber, lug area-bend some q tips to get all the gunk out of that area. You should run a something down the bbl once in a while tho. It seemed like, every time I cleaned the bbl, really clean,, it took 3-8 shots to get it accurate again.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Lead chucker, I noticed that too with my only BHW bbl in 5.56 Easy clean, higher speeds too! Minimal rifling contact is the deal.
                              I'm so happy that AA released the license to a many Great manufactures, to build AA bbls. BHW , was the odd nut on the tree with the polygonal rifling. It works .

Comment

Working...
                              X