Looking for a lightweight 18-20" barrel...need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dentite
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2015

Looking for a lightweight 18-20" barrel...need advice.

Hey gang. I'm putting together my first 6.5 Grendel and could use some advice.

My goal is to use the rifle as primarily a hunting rifle. Coyotes, javelina, etc. Small to mid sized game. Not likely used on anything as large as a deer.

I'm not looking for a heavy barrel long range bench rifle. I've got a bolt action .260 Rem for that.

I want something I can carry around without feeling like a boat anchor. I'm used to carrying around sporter bolt action rifles that weigh about 7lbs or so.

I've got a Colt 6920 that is nice and lightweight but I could tolerate an AR in 6.5 Grendel that was a bit heavier, but I'm afraid if it's too heavy I won't end up using it.

So far I've debated about three barrels:
    BHW 20" lightweight (not sure what it weighs).
    Lilja 20" LR740 (one part of the description says 2.43lbs, another says 2.6lbs.
    Lothar Walther 20" in "light HBAR" weight chambered by Mark at Precision Firearms. Not sure on weight, but I think it would be about 2.9lbs comparing similar contour barrels.

I spoke to Mark on the phone and he said that he doesn't recommend barrels with a wasp/turned down/reduced diameter section between the receiver and the gas block. Based on my budget he recommended the Lothar Walther.

Do you guys concur that the wasp section will sufficiently reduce accuracy?

I'm okay with 1MOA accuracy at 100 yards if it means the rifle is light enough that I actually want to hike around with it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
  • Dentite
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2015

I guess I should mention the rest of my plan at this point:

SSA-E trigger
    Multi position carbine stock - probably a basic Magpul
    Adjustable gas block to allow tuning
    Rifle length smooth free float tube.
    3-9 scope.

I reload for multiple rifle calibers and will be reloading for this rifle. I just recently picked up 200 new Lapua brass. I need to get some dies and start doing research on reloading for 6.5 Grendel. Planning on using 120 grain or so bullets. I shoot 140-142 grain 6.5s in my .260 Rem.
    Last edited by Dentite; 06-26-2015, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

My PF rifle has the stainless 740 Lilja barrel. It weighs 8.9# with everything but a sling.

After a long wait it finally arrived week before last and I just got the chance to shoot it last Friday. First, I want to thank bwaites for selling me such a beautiful Lilja barrel. I guess I should thank Lilja too, but making art is their job right? Initially I thought I would build this myself, then I decided to send the
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• CastorTroy
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

I got the Shilen Match barrel from Midway and had it reprofiled by Snipe Custom Arms. Last time I had it out I shot a 1.8" 5 round group at 200 yards with 123gr SST reloads.

Comment

• wfa17332
          Bloodstained
          • May 2015

My 18" BHW lightweight profile 264 LBC weights, IIRC, .2oz over two pounds. My entire rifle, with scope, is 7 pounds exactly.

Walt

Comment

• Dentite
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2015

Thanks guys for the responses.

My frame of reference for weight is a 6.5lb .300WSM with a 23" barrel that I love to carry around. It has lightweight rings and a 13-14 ounce Leupold Vx-3. That puts the setup at 7lbs 4 ounces.

As far as ARs go, my only other AR is a mostly stock Colt 6920. It has a Leupold 1.5-4 and the whole thing weighs less than 7lbs I think.

I think the rifle would get used if it were less than 8lbs with the scope. I don't know if I would pull it out of the safe for a long day of hiking it were 9lbs.

Maybe I'm hung up on the weight too much.

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
            My PF rifle has the stainless 740 Lilja barrel. It weighs 8.9# with everything but a sling.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...rearms-Grendel
            Thanks for posting. Great looking rifle. Is this the exact barrel you have? http://riflebarrels.com/shop/65-gren...grendel-ar740/

Looks like your scope weighs 21 ounces (sweet scope by the way). I'm going without a break, with a lighter scope so I could save some weight there.

Looks like you have some great accuracy once you got it dialed in.

Comment

• Dentite
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
              I got the Shilen Match barrel from Midway and had it reprofiled by Snipe Custom Arms. Last time I had it out I shot a 1.8" 5 round group at 200 yards with 123gr SST reloads.
              I would be happy with that accuracy. How did you have the barrel profiled? What is the diameter between the receiver and the gas block? The diameter from the gas port to muzzle?

Thanks!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

That should be it. I bought mine from a horde member.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Dentite
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by wfa17332 View Post
                  My 18" BHW lightweight profile 264 LBC weights, IIRC, .2oz over two pounds. My entire rifle, with scope, is 7 pounds exactly.

Walt
                  That is awesome. I would love for it to be that light. I imagine a 20" barrel with similar profile would add a 3-4 ounces or so? I would be happy with less than 7.5lbs or so with a 20" barrel.

How is the accuracy? Whose bolt are you using?

Comment

• wfa17332
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2015

Bolt: I have one 7.62x39 from Midway which I installed on an AR BCG, and a complete 7.62x39 NiB M16 BCG from AIM Surplus - both bolts work fine, although the Midway extractor had to have the rough edges removed as it was chewing the rims a bit. Accuracy is "under MOA" (.93 MOA according to "OnTarget" software) for 7 to 10 shot groups. I'm waiting for delivery of an adjustable gas block as the BHW barrels seem to be a bit "over gassed" (based on three BHW barrels - 5.56, 300 AAC, and 264 LBC), but drilling a gas port is always a "crap shoot" that isn't going to satisfy everyone; the other two barrels seem "just right" for my applications. Obviously I'm happy with my BHW barrels since I have three of them!

My "WAG" on weight would be about 2-3oz/inch of additional length with the "light" profile, but I have no first-hand knowledge.
                    Last edited by wfa17332; 06-26-2015, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Dentite
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by wfa17332 View Post
                      Bolt: I have one 7.62x39 from Midway which I installed on an AR BCG, and a complete 7.62x39 NiB M16 BCG from AIM Surplus - both bolts work fine, although the Midway extractor had to have the rough edges removed as it was chewing the rims a bit. Accuracy is "under MOA" (.93 MOA according to "OnTarget" software) for 7 to 10 shot groups. I'm waiting for delivery of an adjustable gas block as the BHW barrels seem to be a bit "over gassed" (based on three BHW barrels - 5.56, 300 AAC, and 264 LBC), but drilling a gas port is always a "crap shoot" that isn't going to satisfy everyone; the other two barrels seem "just right" for my applications. Obviously I'm happy with my BHW barrels since I have three of them!

My "WAG" on weight would be about 2-3oz/inch of additional length with the "light" profile, but I have no first-hand knowledge.
                      Great info, thanks. I also use the "OnTarget" software. Pretty slick. I am planning on an adjustable block as well.

after doing some research I think I'm going to get the SLR:

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

This one weighs 7lbs 12oz with optics and magazine:

I put together another blaster today, and will test it out tomorrow. It has a Lilja 17 5/8" barrel, with the Wasp contour. I'll post pics up after I get back from the trip. W/o optics, it weighs 6lbs 2oz. With a Viper PST 2.5-10x32, it weighs 7lbs 12oz., and I didn't even try to put it on a diet. I used an Aero

It has the Lilja Wasp profile 18" barrel. From a hasty position off the bipod, it prints 10rds at 200yds into about 2.25", as you can see in the thread above. Best 3rd groups have been sub 1/2 MOA at 100yds. I have yet to shoot any hand loads through it.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dentite
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          This one weighs 7lbs 12oz with optics and magazine:

I put together another blaster today, and will test it out tomorrow. It has a Lilja 17 5/8" barrel, with the Wasp contour. I'll post pics up after I get back from the trip. W/o optics, it weighs 6lbs 2oz. With a Viper PST 2.5-10x32, it weighs 7lbs 12oz., and I didn't even try to put it on a diet. I used an Aero

It has the Lilja Wasp profile 18" barrel. From a hasty position off the bipod, it prints 10rds at 200yds into about 2.25", as you can see in the thread above. Best 3rd groups have been sub 1/2 MOA at 100yds. I have yet to shoot any hand loads through it.
                          Thanks for taking the time to post. I enjoyed reading your thread and seeing your results. I have very similar goals for my rifle. Lightweight hunting rifle that will occasionally see some "just for fun" target shooting at long range. I have a .260 bolt gun that will be interesting to compare and contrast with this one when I get it done.

Mine will look pretty similar when it's done. FDE Magpul STR stock, MOE+ grip, BCM mod 4 charging handle, free float smooth forearm, I plan on cerakoating my receivers in FDE as well, similar size and mag scope, similar mount (I'll probably use a Larue just because I have one on my 6920, I do like NF stuff though...I have a NXS in NF rings and base on my .260).

I see you are in Utah. I'm from Ogden but I live in Phoenix now.

Comment

• Dentite
                            Unwashed
                            • Jun 2015

Thanks for the input guys. I settled on a Lilja 318. Lightweight 18.8". I ordered Monday and it'll be here Friday. Can't beat the shipping time. The lightweight factor won out in the long run. I'll sacrifice a 1/2 moa of accuracy if it means it's light enough that actually take it out and use it.

Comment

• san antonio fj
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dentite View Post
                              That is awesome. I would love for it to be that light. I imagine a 20" barrel with similar profile would add a 3-4 ounces or so? I would be happy with less than 7.5lbs or so with a 20" barrel.

How is the accuracy? Whose bolt are you using?

I just built one with the BHW 20" light profile and 15" ALG EMR tube, I just hopped on a fairly accurate bathroom scale with it a few times seem 6.9 to 7.2lbs with no scope and an M4 stock. Havent shot it yet as the bolt and gasblock/tube just got here today and installed. It feels pretty handy though, I built a 6.8 (ARP midweight profile, seems to be about the same as BHW light profile) just like it last month and would say its not to bad to carry around

Comment

Working...
                              X