• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck2732
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

Your thoughts please

Okay I have a CZ 527 converted from 7.62x39 to Grendel.

While I am very happy with its accuracy, I can't help thinking would it be more accurate if I had a true Grendel bolt face rather that the 7.62x39.

In your own time carry on.
    Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

In this question, I feel a bit naive. After all, a square bolt face with proper support should support the case the same regardless of nominal design. Yes there are differences associated with the manufacturing and finishing techniques in highly competitive precision rifles.

The CZ 527 is an excellent bolt action rifle and not an AR.

In the AR, the difference between a nominal Grendel bolt face and the AK bolt face is the depth of set back from the front of the lugs. The set back on tihe bolt face affects chambeing details, but I haven't seen complaints that one bolt face produces better accuracy than another.

So, I would expect no discernable difference in accuracy would be realized from changing bolt faces.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

If you are happy with it why not just enjoy it?
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Hoser1
        Bloodstained
        • May 2015

Is there extracting issue, if no, shoot and enjoy the accuracy!!!!

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Buck, I have what looks like a twin to your rifle. Never even thought about that aspect with the CZ being a controlled round feed action the lower part of the bolt face is open with only a little lip around the sides and top with the extractor holding in the case rim. On mine the smith did lap the lugs and squared the action face for a little better fit with than the factory barrel had and more even mating for the lugs, the bolt face was square.

Need to get back to playing with my rifle and loads but for now the Berger 130 Hybrids are shooting well enough that I am happy.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Buck2732 View Post
            Okay I have a CZ 527 converted from 7.62x39 to Grendel.

While I am very happy with its accuracy, I can't help thinking would it be more accurate if I had a true Grendel bolt face rather that the 7.62x39.

In your own time carry on.
            Buck:

Never noticed a difference in performance between the 7.62 X 39 bolt and Grendel bolt with a gas gun.

I can't see how it could make a bit of a difference in a bolt rifle.

I surely wouldn't change it.

LR55

Comment

• Buck2732
              Warrior
              • Feb 2012

Thanks for the replies folks. I was not intending to cause an spat.

It was just a simple musing about bolt faces. To be honest I can't shoot well enough to notice the difference if there was one.

Again thanks folks.
              Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

OK Guys:

Enough of this BS.

Thread closed.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I removed the non technical posts that distracted from the OP's question.

Keep it technical gents. Thanks
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                  X