• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt @ LSI
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Drift View Post
    I, when ordering a barrel usually order a heavy sporter fluted barrel. That usually give me an accurate barrel light enough for hunting. What I want to know is 2 things. How thin/light of a barrel can I go with and still keep the first 4 round under an inch at 100 yards-from a cold barrel? And (2) how thin can I get the barrel and still have it aftermarket threaded to put a suppressor on it? . Thanks
    personally, i wouldnt thread anything but the #6 heavy barrel.
    the heavy barrel version of this is still plenty light. rifle only still hovers in the 6lb range.
    with the 6.5 grendel rifles using hornady 123gr ssts, all three barrel profiles kept groups under one inch from cold bore with three shot groups. using a factory barreled action and factory hunting ammo id say thats pretty darn good. just remember, any barrel modifications void the factory Howa warranty.
    Last edited by Matt @ LSI; 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• SDguy
      Warrior
      • Oct 2015

Baby steps & threaded for supressor

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
      just remember, any barrel modifications void the factory Howa warranty.
      This dialog seems to be leading down the path of encouraging baby steps b4 long. So I would be pleased to see a lighter contour offering with a little extra material left at the muzzle end to be threaded very concentric to the bore for a polite muzzle device.

I think the Ruger American predator may be one of the better examples of what I am striving for with the light contour barrel threaded for a muzzle device.

Comment

• ahillock
        Warrior
        • Jan 2016

I have been following this thread but might have missed it, is the barrel SAAMI spec'd?

Comment

• SDguy
          Warrior
          • Oct 2015

All indications are yes it was mentioned this will be a complete SAAMI spec chamber, see post 77 in this thread. A .300 throat was indicated though I question if a standard .300 neck may have been what was meant? And rifeling looks to be a standard 1 in 8 twist for the production run.

Comment

• ahillock
            Warrior
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
            All indications are yes it was mentioned this will be a complete SAAMI spec chamber, see post 77 in this thread. A .300 throat was indicated though I question if a standard .300 neck may have been what was meant? And rifeling looks to be a standard 1 in 8 twist for the production run.
            Thank you SDguy. I must have missed that post in my reading of the thread.

Comment

• stangfan94
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
              personally, i wouldnt thread anything but the #6 heavy barrel.
              the heavy barrel version of this is still plenty light. rifle only still hovers in the 5lb range.
              with the 6.5 grendel rifles using hornady 123gr ssts, all three barrel profiles kept groups under one inch from cold bore with three shot groups. using a factory barreled action and factory hunting ammo id say thats pretty darn good. just remember, any barrel modifications void the factory Howa warranty.

You posted the weights before and listed the heavy barrel at 6.4 lbs. That's a bit more than 5 pounds. Is 6.4 an old number? Is it lighter than that?
              Last edited by stangfan94; 01-27-2016, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by stangfan94 View Post
                You posted the weights before and listed the heavy barrel at 6.4 lbs. That's a bit more than 5 pounds. Is 6.4 an old number? Is it lighter than that?
                rifle only, compared to package weight. i will update weights when i get the chance.

Comment

• Rainman
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2015

Matt, Evolution Gunworks, Inc (EGW, Inc) is and OEM supplier of picatinny rails for Steyr and other manufacturers/importers. They make 0 and 20 MOA picatinny rails for Savage, Remington as well as Howa 1500 actions. I've had a conversation with them about the Howa mini action and to get such a project underway would require discussion with Legacy Sports. Their products are high grade CNC machined built from quality materials. To maximize efficiency of the 6.5 Grendel most bolt rifle owners will want a 20 MOA pic rail without having to pay the price to have a gunsmith custom cut one.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                    Matt, Evolution Gunworks, Inc (EGW, Inc) is and OEM supplier of picatinny rails for Steyr and other manufacturers/importers. They make 0 and 20 MOA picatinny rails for Savage, Remington as well as Howa 1500 actions. I've had a conversation with them about the Howa mini action and to get such a project underway would require discussion with Legacy Sports. Their products are high grade CNC machined built from quality materials. To maximize efficiency of the 6.5 Grendel most bolt rifle owners will want a 20 MOA pic rail without having to pay the price to have a gunsmith custom cut one.
                    EGW is who helped us previously with our 0 and 20 moa rails. dont worry, were on it ; )
                    Last edited by Matt @ LSI; 01-27-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Matt, PM sent!

Comment

• Beerswimmer
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2015

I must have missed it, will these have threaded muzzles as an option?
                        UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• kmon
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Beerswimmer View Post
                          I must have missed it, will these have threaded muzzles as an option?
                          It is mentioned a few times, the Barrels are not threaded with no current option for it. See post 151 for one of those

Comment

• ahillock
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                            I have a good friend who's a FFL, let me talk with him to see if he'd be willing to do a group buy for us. If so I'll get the numbers worked out and see if everyone is happy with the price. So give me a couple of days to talk with him.
                            am4966, any update on your friend and a possible group buy?

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

The Howa Grendel is being touted on 24hr so be in quick guys if you want one

6.5 in the Howa mini action. At least I saw a press release to that effect. Checked Whittaker's, they aren't up on the site yet. Or weren't when I checked. If you need one of these, PM SAS or email Eric to get a place in line, I reckon.
                              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                                The Howa Grendel is being touted on 24hr so be in quick guys if you want one

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...Grendel#UNREAD
                                this information is not correct. were expecting shipment within a few months.

Comment

Working...
                                X