• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sputnik
    Warrior
    • May 2013

Originally posted by MrDraco View Post
    Matt, will a bull or heavy barrel be offered?
    I hope so! But the description weights seem a bit lite for a heavy version

Comment

• usmcm16a2
      Warrior
      • Aug 2015

Just placed my order with my FFL, spoke with the folks at Legacy Sports. You can place orders, first come first served. July delivery. A2

Comment

• Drift
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

I can wait till mine is actually built. I want a HMA30602KHC. That should be their shortest ( 20 barrel) lightest (5.7lb) Grendel with Kryptic camo. I can do my own scope.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MrDraco View Post
          Matt, will a bull or heavy barrel be offered?
          Absolutely. #6 contour 20"

Comment

• Sputnik
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
            Absolutely. #6 contour 20"
            Fantastic! So that would be either the HMA90622KHC Highlander or the Yote KMA90622YOTE I believe. I gotta find a source. I think Eastern Outfitters deals with Ya'll.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

I read on another thread here on the forum that the twist rate on the prototypes is 1:9. I strongly recommend 1:8 for the 6.5 Grendel.

If you go to Berger Bullet's Twist Rate Calculator and enter in data for a sort of worst-case scenario — 6.5mm 130 Berger AR Hybrid at 2450 fps at temperature 0 and altitude 0 with a 1:8 twist — you get a "comfortable" stability factor of 1.61. Good article on this by Litz here.

Changing only the twist rate to 1:9, you get "marginal" stability of 1.27.

To get back to comfortable stability with a 1:9 in those conditions — let's say you're on the Alaskan coast in winter — you'd need a muzzle velocity of 4,000 fps!

Howa: Please, change the twist on your 6.5 Grendel mini-actions from 1:9 to 1:8 before these go into production!

P.S. If you're trying to be efficient by using the same barrels as your 6.5x55s, they, too, will benefit going to 1:8.

P.P.S. Bryan Litz tested velocity loss from twist rate increase and found it averaged only 1.33 fps per inch of twist rate. So if your 1:9 shoots 2601.33, then your 1:8 will shoot 2600 fps.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                I read on another thread here on the forum that the twist rate on the prototypes is 1:9. I strongly recommend 1:8 for the 6.5 Grendel.

If you go to Berger Bullet's Twist Rate Calculatorheretested velocity loss from twist rate increase and found it averaged only 1.33 fps per inch of twist rate. So if your 1:9 shoots 2601.33, then your 1:8 will shoot 2600 fps.
                Sounds good. Well pass this along.
                From my personal experience... And I'll upload pictures tomorrow... I shot nothing but sub 1" three shot groups at 100yards with factory Hornady superformance sst 123gr rounds. Wind was around 10-12mph. I managed to keep the 20" HB to .800" center to center and the 22" std bbl to .720" with the 1-9 twist.

Comment

• GSPHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                  +1

My 20" 1:9 twist J&T keyholes 127LRX's at 100, and shoots the 140SGK's with mediocre accuracy. If I were to buy another AR grendel barrel, it would definitely be a 1:8 twist. I'd still be seriously interested in a 1:9 Micro, but even more so a 1:8 :-)

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by GSPHunter View Post
                    +1

My 20" 1:9 twist J&T keyholes 127LRX's at 100, and shoots the 140SGK's with mediocre accuracy. If I were to buy another AR grendel barrel, it would definitely be a 1:8 twist. I'd still be seriously interested in a 1:9 Micro, but even more so a 1:8 :-)
                    I have personally shot all three models, and achieved sub 1" groups with factory Hornady ammo. This from a 20" rifle with a 3-9 power scope. I really don't think you'd have to ever worry about keyholing @100 with this setup.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

These were shot on 12/23/15 with the new Howa mini action samples. 22" std on top and 20" HB on bottom.

Weather that day was 20% humidity. Winds of 10-12mph and temps were at about 40 degrees at 4500 ft elevation.

Last edited by Matt @ LSI; 12-30-2015, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

GSPH, right on! There are a lot of us here just dying for something like this.

Doing it right the first time with a 1:8 will just compound the success, as glowing accuracy reports start coming in from all ranges, bullets, and conditions.

According to Litz, having a less-than-optimal BC doesn't necessarily affect accuracy at 100 yards, only that it "means, in practical terms, that your bullets drop more quickly and deflect more in the wind."
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

If you have the axiom stock as an option, and I reckon you will be as good as printing money!

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                            If you have the axiom stock as an option, and I reckon you will be as good as printing money!
                            If only it were that easy!

Comment

• GSPHunter
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
                              I have personally shot all three models, and achieved sub 1" groups with factory Hornady ammo. This from a 20" rifle with a 3-9 power scope. I really don't think you'd have to ever worry about keyholing @100 with this setup.
                              Matt, the same rifle that keyholes 2 out 5 Barnes 127gn LRX's will average 5 123gn sst's into 1.25" with nice round holes :-)

Comment

• kmon
                                Chieftain
                                • Feb 2015

Glad to see these rifles on the way. One configuration that I think would be $ is a youth model, there is not a better youth cartridge IMO than the Grendel, rifle can be light weight, accurate, smaller sized and still not recoil while being effective further than most should be shooting.

Comment

Working...
                                X