• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
    We don't recommend going outside of SAAMI spec for any cartridge.
    I hope that means you're planning to use the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber. Other custom chambers might be tuned to this or that bullet for a specific performance node, but the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber was designed to shoot well the very wide variety of 6.5mm bullets at moderate 6.5 Grendel velocities.

And, Drift, I'd guess that the Howa MA shares the same bolt lugs as its bigger brethren. Only the bolt body length is shortened. Thus, it should have at least the same strength as their short actions in the .308-case family. <WINK!> (Eh, Matt, you didn't see that. . . .)

P.S. The maximum average operating pressure for the 6.5 Grendel of about 50,000 psi was specifically set for conservative margins of safety for the bolt-life requirements of a fleet of rack-grade AR15s operating from the extremes of the Siberian arctic to the Middle East. If you have a stronger bolt, the cases can certainly handle more pressure.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
      I hope that means you're planning to use the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber. Other custom chambers might be tuned to this or that bullet for a specific performance node, but the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber was designed to shoot well the very wide variety of 6.5mm bullets at moderate 6.5 Grendel velocities

And, Drift, I'd guess that the Howa MA shares the same bolt lugs as its bigger brethren. Only the bolt body length is shortened. Thus, it should have at least the same strength as their short actions in the .308-case family. <WINK!> (Eh, Matt, you didn't see that. . . .)

P.S. The maximum average operating pressure for the 6.5 Grendel of about 50,000 psi was specifically set for conservative margins of safety for the bolt-life requirements of a fleet of rack-grade AR15s operating from the extremes of the Siberian arctic to the Middle East. If you have a stronger bolt, the cases can certainly handle more pressure.
      From my experience with Howa, they do EVERYTHING SAAMI spec so I don't see why this would be any different. And yes we of course understand. People will push the limit and develope loads but this doesn't mean we're going to replace a broken/blown up rifle due to someone's hand loads. Stay safe. My little brother lost half of his left thumb due to an over pressured round, so this topic hits close to home with me.
      Last edited by Matt @ LSI; 12-31-2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Wow. Hey, sorry for your brother's misfortune. Safety warnings and personal responsibility totally understood and agreed to.

Gonna be a long wait til mid-2016!
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• adamjp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
          I hope that means you're planning to use the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber. Other custom chambers might be tuned to this or that bullet for a specific performance node, but the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI chamber was designed to shoot well the very wide variety of 6.5mm bullets at moderate 6.5 Grendel velocities.

The locking lugs of a Howa Mini are smaller than a standard Howa. Not only is the action less length, but thinner as well.

As for pushing the Grendel case. I've been running the bolt action Grendel for some time now and my best loads do not exceed published load data for the AR15 based Grendel. I do seem to get more velocity, but I put that down in part to the 21in barrel and the complete absence of a gas system to feed.

If you are looking for 200fps more velocity for a 120gn bullet out of a Howa over your AR15 Grendel I strongly suggest you buy a 260 Remington/6.5x55 Swede. The Howa Mini chambered in Grendel isn't going to do it (and have the cases last more than 3x reloads).

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

AJP, good info. My guess was simply based on examining the bolt length comparison in their catalog. I'm a bit surprised they'd go that route, but truly scaling down the whole action is understandable.

I'm not really feeling the need to hot-rod; if I was, as you say, it's best to step up to the next cartridge class, but it would be nice to know the capability is there to at least match what the brass can handle.

Comment

• Drift
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

I'm going to respectfully make some points about the 6.5 Grendel and the Howa rifles. (First point) The 6.5 Grendel was made to wring every last drop of performance out of the AR family of rifles. (2) There is no evidence that the maximum performance obtainable from the 6.5 Grendel is obtained using the AR family; indeed, up to this point, the only factory rifles for the 6.5 Grendel has been the AR. (3) Howa rifles shooting the 6.5 Grendel will either perform worse,the same or better than the AR.
              I conclude that if Howa does it right, this combination of micro action +6.5 Grendel could be as successful as the .308 after leaving the M14! This rifle if done right, could weigh less then the 30 30 point like the the 30 30 have less recoil and still take deer/hogs at 5 times the range of the 30 30. Oh and it could double as a heckofa varmint gun.

Comment

• FW Conch
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

^ I heard dat ! :-) ^

Comment

• southern180
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Matt @ LSI View Post
                  Howa does not sell to the public. We are selling the mini action barreled actions if you wish to go that route.
                  Please the PN for barreled action only

Comment

• MrDraco
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by southern180 View Post
                    Please the PN for barreled action only
                    Agreed. I don't like synthetic stocks so the first thing I do on my rifles is buy a replacement stock. Just buying the barreled action saves me some money.

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

I've recommended my oldest son to look at this rifle (22" standard profile) versus getting a 308 Win that he had been planning on. Primarily because he has young kids who are getting into shooting and I think the Grendel would be perfect platform for them to move into from .22 LR.

Personally, I would rather see the Grendel on the short action versus micro action as it is only 3 oz heavier and has a longer magazine length for hand loaders. 2.30" COAL micro action limitation of magazine could be a turn off for hand loaders. Von Gruff gets 2.405" COAL in his Grendel Max . I've loaded over 2.35" in my Savage "Grendel" so far.

Von Gruff's magazine length:
                      This will get me the OAL for the Grendel-Max at 2.405 COAL with 2.470 internal mag length.
                      All right guys, I will nail my flag to the mast with my colors showing for all to see. I am in the begining stages of a projected build of a bolt rifle that may horrify some of the Grendel purists but satisfies my tinkering obsession. There will never be a factory Grendel cartridge in my rifle so I decided the a chamber that
                      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
                        The locking lugs of a Howa Mini are smaller than a standard Howa. Not only is the action less length, but thinner as well.

As for pushing the Grendel case. I've been running the bolt action Grendel for some time now and my best loads do not exceed published load data for the AR15 based Grendel. I do seem to get more velocity, but I put that down in part to the 21in barrel and the complete absence of a gas system to feed.

If you are looking for 200fps more velocity for a 120gn bullet out of a Howa over your AR15 Grendel I strongly suggest you buy a 260 Remington/6.5x55 Swede. The Howa Mini chambered in Grendel isn't going to do it (and have the cases last more than 3x reloads).
                        Maybe not with micro action, but I believe it is more than achievable with a short action. I was getting +200 fps over published Hornady load for 129 Interbond using CFE 223; I could go higher with other powders listed. See http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...Interbond-load
                        Last edited by BjornF16; 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM.
                        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by MrDraco View Post
                          Agreed. I don't like synthetic stocks so the first thing I do on my rifles is buy a replacement stock. Just buying the barreled action saves me some money.
                          here you go!

sorry, have not updated the ROT for the grendels but it is in fact 1-8" twist and the magazines that come with the grendels are in fact 5rd's

Comment

• Stevil
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2015

Damn only 3.6lbs, well done Matt, chuck it in a custom 1lb Carbon fibre stock, 8oz Loopy 2-7, 2oz Talley rings.....

Im getting a package that comes in just over 5lbs !!! bloody ripper
                            Last edited by Stevil; 01-04-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Are the barreled actions released for sale yet or are yall waiting to release them at the same time as the grendel rifle yall are building.

Either way one of these will be mine lol maybe even two

Comment

• Stevil
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2015

Im having the same thoughts too A5BLASTER, a HB for range work and a lightweight for walking around. And a bunch of different stocks they can be thrown in depending upon the application.

Hey Matt the list shows only the Blued actions, will the Stainless be released at the same time ?
                                Last edited by Stevil; 01-04-2016, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X