Bolt Action Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bjorn,

Thanks for the research -- it looks like the comment that "...You could easily replace that mag body, spring & follower with a .223 mag body, spring & follower or a standard short action .308-family mag body, spring & follower if you so desired..." means that one could use the 7.62X39 magazine in a .308 length magazine well.

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
      it looks like the comment that "...You could easily replace that mag body, spring & follower with a .223 mag body, spring & follower or a standard short action .308-family mag body, spring & follower if you so desired..." means that one could use the 7.62X39 magazine in a .308 length magazine well.
      Smitty, that is the way I interpreted it as well...

I think that also means you could use ANY .308 family Savage DBM rifle and convert it to Grendel using their 7.62 magazines and bolt.

McMillan has some stocks that would fit your .243 Savage.
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
        Smitty, that is the way I interpreted it as well...

I think that also means you could use ANY .308 family Savage DBM rifle and convert it to Grendel using their 7.62 magazines and bolt.

McMillan has some stocks that would fit your .243 Savage.
        So does H-S and Manners. Problem is if you factor in DBM, the price gets high enough to look at chassis. I believe I'm going to order a McRee, if I'm in for that $. Too bad B&C Duramaxx only seem to be available only for the staggerfeed models.

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Smitty,

Don't know if you've gone to SSS website or not, but here is a quote from their website that may help you with your blind box magazine to DBM conversion:

DBM & HFP MAGAZINE CONVERSION PARTS
          Since the recent change over to the new center feed magazines, the system lends itself to be modular, and adaptable to most applications on current rifles. For the blind, detachable and hinged floor plate magazine configurations, the same magazine box is utilized. The blind magazine consists of a box and follower. For the detachable box magazine, it uses the same components, plus a snap on bottom cap. For the hinged floor plate model, the same components are used in conjunction with a magazine frame with the hinged lid. The detachable box magazine requires the appropriate magazine frame to retain the box. Both the DBM and HFP use the same stock; the inlet is the same for both sets of hardware.

With this in mind, we recently introduced a few new stock patterns to take advantage of the whole system of DBM, blind and HFP rifles. Now one may start with a blind magazine rifle and upgrade to DBM or HFP by adding the correct components.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ - see "Original Parts"
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Thanks for the info!

My 116FC, however, already has a detachable magazine. Main question was whether I could use a 7.62x39 magazine in a rifle that normally uses .308-length magazines. Your research has helped build my confidence that that should work as well.

Of course, I will check to see If Grendel cartridges will feed OK in my .243 magazine!

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for the info!

My 116FC, however, already has a detachable magazine. Main question was whether I could use a 7.62x39 magazine in a rifle that normally uses .308-length magazines. Your research has helped build my confidence that that should work as well.

Of course, I will check to see If Grendel cartridges will feed OK in my .243 magazine!

Thanks again!
              I know they won't work in a .243 blind magazine. I did try a .22/250 magazine, and it kinda worked. The more you loaded, the more they started getting cocked. It basically made a logjam as the pressure on the spring released.

Comment

Good to know!

Thanks!

Comment

Am looking at a BSA in 222 and a A&B 6.5 bbl to go. What do you guys think?
                  TIA

Comment

Bienvenidos, El Jefe!

A&B barrels are made by E.R. Shaw, IIRC. They're decent for the $. I have an J&T AR upper in 5.56 with a Shaw barrel, and it's been good to go.

Here's a link to compare some Grendel uppers-note the J&T upper accuracy. http://www.jprifles.com/press.php?document_id=166
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2012, 11:21 AM. Reason: link

Comment

I gather the .223 Remington is not an option in Ausralia?

Comment

Ruger has a Hawkeye in 7.62x39 but no detachable box. Eveybody tells me to go bigger Creedmoor or 260 but I'm impressed with the Grendel and how efficient it is. So I willprobably build a Grendel bolt and buy a Creedmoor to launch the heavy bullets. Damn the problems you have to face being addicted to shooting!
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I gather the .223 Remington is not an option in Ausralia?
                          Why do you say that?? Not an option for what??

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFRO408 View Post
                            Why do you say that?? Not an option for what??

Tony
                            From what I understand, some countries or jurisdictions prohibit use of "military caliber" ammunition. For example, I understand that ordinary citizens in Australia were not allowed to own rifles chambered for the .303 British.

The question was prompted by the huge quantity of .223 ammunition and brass compared to the .222 Remington. Most folks would opt for the .223 if they are allowed to. Of course making .222 from .223 is a relatively straightforward operation, but...

Comment

:
                              From what I understand, some countries or jurisdictions prohibit use of "military caliber" ammunition. For example, I understand that ordinary citizens in Australia were not allowed to own rifles chambered for the .303 British.

The question was prompted by the huge quantity of .223 ammunition and brass compared to the .222 Remington. Most folks would opt for the .223 if they are allowed to. Of course making .222 from .223 is a relatively straightforward operation, but...
                              I think he is planning on replacing barrel with a 6.5 G and opening the bolt face. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                                :

I think he is planning on replacing barrel with a 6.5 G and opening the bolt face. I think.
                                You might be able to color me confused -- I read the "and" to mean he is planning to get both a 222 and a 6.5 Grendel rather than replace. Sorry for adding to the confusion!

Comment

Working...
                                X