Bolt Action Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
    You might be able to color me confused -- I read the "and" to mean he is planning to get both a 222 and a 6.5 Grendel rather than replace. Sorry for adding to the confusion!
    no, i was kind of confused myself! got to thinking after I posted that I probably shouldnt put words into ones mouth, as that usually results in a foot in my mouth!

Comment

'been there, done that -- kinda stings!

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
        From what I understand, some countries or jurisdictions prohibit use of "military caliber" ammunition. For example, I understand that ordinary citizens in Australia were not allowed to own rifles chambered for the .303 British.

The question was prompted by the huge quantity of .223 ammunition and brass compared to the .222 Remington. Most folks would opt for the .223 if they are allowed to. Of course making .222 from .223 is a relatively straightforward operation, but...
        That was the case, after WWII, but not now. Gunsmiths here, got around that, by setting the SMLE barrels back one turn of the thread and shortening the .303 case to suit.
        I think .223 would be the most popular round here, closely followed by the .243 & .308.

I'll be opening up the bolt face, on a customers BSA SF2, to fit the Grendel case.

Cheers,
        Tony

Comment

Tony (FR0408),

Thanks for the clarification. Your client will see significantly less wind drift in addition to the other reasons for going to the Grendel.

Comment

Muchas Gracias, All,
            I was a bit cryptic ( in retrospect!) what with discovering the 6.5, and then this forum...
            Yes, to all Afro said. There seems to be a growing Australian presence here

Will keep you all posted on progress.I didnt know the ER Shaw and Adams& Bennet connection.Thanks

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Good to see you on board with the horde eljefe, and Afro too for that matter.

Von Gruff.
              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post

Von Gruff.
                Thanks Von. I'm hoping to build a very accurate bolt gun, for eljefe and will probably build one for myself as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post

Von Gruff.
                  Thanks VG
                  I like the "on board with the hoard"
                  Maybe we 'down under wallahs' should start a sticky here on bolt Grendels, seeing that its going to be the only option?

Hi Tony,
                  Mate its heartening to read the part about you wanting to build one for your self too.Augurs well for me

Cheers All

Comment

• Von Gruff
                    Chieftain
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by eljefe View Post
                    Thanks VG
                    Maybe we 'down under wallahs' should start a sticky here on bolt Grendels, seeing that its going to be the only option?

Hi Tony,
                    Mate its heartening to read the part about you wanting to build one for your self too.Augurs well for me

Cheers All
                    I dare say there are a number of us who are bolt rifle by choice, so I will start a thread for the dedicated handloaders of bolt rifles.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Originally posted by eljefe View Post
                      Thanks VG

Hi Tony,

Cheers All
                      A bolt rifle section would be good, as there are some of us, in this world, who aren't allowed to own semi auto rifles.

I'll be building mine on a near new Stevens 200 that came in minus it's bolt. Seems that old mate had break in and the thieves stole his ammo and bolts, but not the rifles. I've ordered another bolt, in .223 head size and will open it up for the Grendel round.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

Have postewd my bolt rifle intention here http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ed-handloaders

so as not to hijack this thread.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• @ Tony-Now that'll be interesting, to see a non Stevens barrel go on...Are you planing an A&B too?
                          @ Von G, am sure a lot of us 'AR deprived' folk will benefit from loading data, neck bushing sizes etc.
                          Does /would the 6.5 Grendel fit into the Sambar legal category,I wonder?
                          Cheers All

Comment

• Originally posted by eljefe View Post
                            @ Tony-Now that'll be interesting, to see a non Stevens barrel go on...Are you planing an A&B too?
                            @ Von G, am sure a lot of us 'AR deprived' folk will benefit from loading data, neck bushing sizes etc.
                            Cheers All
                            1. I'll probably get a Walther bbl for it. Maybe a TSE. Don't know yet.

2.Wouldn't fit here in Aus. .270+ cal restriction. That's why I sold my 6.5x55 and built 7x57, in case I get the chance one day to go south and hunt Sambar.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                              Chieftain
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by eljefe View Post

Cheers All
                              No caliber restrictions here in NZ for hunting cartridge use but if I were after larger Sambar - wapiti sized animals I would use my 7x57 as Tony has also indicated, unless I had a fit of the "lets see what happes" and take the 404 Jeffery as I did once on a goat bomb up.

Von Gruff.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Grendel bolters becoming more popular! I won't feel so alone at home anymore.

Hi gents, its a good source of Grendel info here. I'll get back to you about that reamer later on tonight.

I went out yesterday with the shortened PacNor and the more I shoot it, the better it seems to perform. Can you tell which shot I pulled? Need to buy some more BM1 when I head up for the SHOT show in Sydney.

Grendel 108.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X