Bolt Action Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me one ...... I'll take it to the range and tell you how it went ...... LOL. I'll even video running it on the chrono.

Comment

• Originally posted by adamjp View Post
      That it does, but I would estimate the pressures needed to throw a 123gn at those speeds from the Grendel case will be closer to 80k PSI. Only guessing mind you, someone with Quickload could help on this theory. My 6.5x47 Lap will achieve those speeds at the 65k PSI limit of that cartridge, just.

At pressures above 75k PSI brass flows like liquid and would probably lock the action up on both the CZ and the Mini Zastava when it flowed into the ejector slot.

Oddly the actions are probably able to contain pressures towards 90k PSI, although I'm not sure how it would look afterwards or how useable it would be.
      +00.0 99 29.87 2397 1569 37706 6626 91.7 1.398
      Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for that.

It is interesting to note that there it appears impossible to load enough N550 in the case to acheive the stated velocity.

Comment

• Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.260 inch = 57.40 mm
          Barrel Length : 24.0 inch = 609.6 mm
          Powder : Vihtavuori N550

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
          incremented in steps of 1.0% of nominal charge.
          CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time
          % % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % ms

+00.0 114 29.88 2560 1790 51340 6454 94.4 1.232 ! Near Maximum !

Comment

• QuickLoad seems to have a temperature knob to twist.

I assume the loads were run at the default temperature.

I wonder what the calculated velocities would be if 0 deg F and 130 deg F were used?

Comment

• I just confirmed that it was in fact a Grendel bolt gun, and it was an extreme pressure test to certify whether or not the Grendel could be used in EU hunting where they have certain velocity, bullet weight, and caliber minimums required for moose, and related competitions.

The load is considered dangerous in a bolt gun, and brass is toast after 1 firing. While discussing this today with one of the head R&D guys at Lapua, he said to think about the maximum pressure capacity of .300 Win Mag, then add about 20%. That is what it took to push the 123gr Scenar at 940 m/s from a bolt gun Grendel. I think .330 Win Mag is 64ksi SAAMI, so 20% on top of that is about 78,000psi-not recommended to try at home folks.

I am quite familiar with the 6.5x47 Lapua, and know several competitors who use it. I almost chambered my AR10 in it, but chose .260 Rem for brass availability. A buddy of mine pushes the 140gr VLD's from a 25" RPA at over 2980fps, and I know some Norwegian Snipers who push the 123gr Scenar well over 3200fps with the x47. Primer pockets will loosen quickly with those loads, to say the least, but the trajectory is awesome!
              Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                The load is considered dangerous in a bolt gun, and brass is toast after 1 firing.
                Gee, I can't imagine why?

The CIP Specification for the 300 Win is 62k psi. So yes, nearly 75k psi.

Comment

• Does savage make a .223 specific sized action? Or would you just use a regular short action (.308)?

Comment

• Originally posted by JWP58 View Post
                    Does savage make a .223 specific sized action? Or would you just use a regular short action (.308)?
                    The discussions I've seen suggest that it is a .308 length action.

A good way to confirm is to do a search on the the Savage Forum. Join up and post a query if the answer doesn't pop up!

Comment

• I think the Savage 25 is a 223 sized action, but it has little in common with the standard Savage rifles. It is also quite a long action for what it is - unfortunately quite typical of Savage rimfires too.

Comment

• Originally posted by JWP58 View Post
                        Does savage make a .223 specific sized action? Or would you just use a regular short action (.308)?
                        There's a bolt "buffer" that you can put on a short-action bolt assembly to index stripping .223-size rounds from a magazine. Really, I would term it a "limiter" or "stop", since it mitigates nothing but excessive bolt travel.

The model 10 Scout in 7.62X39 might be your best bet to start with.

Comment

• Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                          QuickLoad seems to have a temperature knob to twist.

I assume the loads were run at the default temperature.

I wonder what the calculated velocities would be if 0 deg F and 130 deg F were used?
                          Coming from where I am-Victoria, both temperatures should be possible in the span of a day
                          QL has so much to twist, I probably need a loong time to tweak it in its entirety-All I got to do is wait for the Grendel to get into my sweaty hands...
                          Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X