Quietest buffer spring for a bolt action AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inquisitor89
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2016

Quietest buffer spring for a bolt action AR?

Hey guys,

Not sure if this would be better suited in the AR section; seeing as it's a bolt action though, here I am.

I have two builds going right at the moment, both are AR-15 platform builds but without gas systems attached. One is a 6.5G and the other is 5.56/.223R; they are sister builds using Rowe Tactical billet lowers. The Wylde uses a Rowe billet upper with a GFG side charging handle while the Grendal uses an Eisenach Arms upper and BCG. I normally don't worry about the sound of the buffer spring since they're so damn loud anyways, but for these two that scratching sound is going to be annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions about a quieter buffer spring (flat springs, different materials, companies, etc..)?

Thank you in advance for any imput and if this needs moved to a new group, please feel free.

-Mark S.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

JP silent capture spring....

It is super queit and smooth running and with the changeable weights and springs can be set to you rifle better and improve opertion.

They aren't cheap though, I put a gen 1 in my lower when I bought my first grendel and now have one in all four of my AR rifles, the gen 2 is what I have in my grendels lower now and it is just as smooth and queit as the gen 1.

Hope this helps sir, it's just my .02 cents ain't worth much but it's the best I got.

Comment

• hbp
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2014

Olympic Arms makes a pneumatic buffer system that's as close to silent as it gets. Also about as expensive.
      Hope that'll help

Comment

• jcjarmon
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

Cut a piece of copy paper 4x7 inches. Roll it the long way and insert it between the buffer tube, and the buffer spring. No more metal on metal. Change it when you clean the weapon. Thick piece of Mylar works even better.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

You won't need to silence the recoil spring.

The bolt and recoil spring/buffer won't be moving on firing so there will be no sound coming from the back end. What you will hear is the usual deafening 150db venting out the muzzle. Afterwards when you manually pull back the bolt carrier group you won't hear the recoil spring either. When a BCG is manually worked the carrier scraping along inside the receiver is the only sound heard.

What you might find is the bolt sticking after firing if there is no gas system. This is my experience when I forget to open the adjustable gas after cleaning. With the gas completely shut off the bolt hasn't moved and you have to really crank hard on the charge handle to unlock it.

Comment

Working...
          X