Initial field report on my new Howa mini (kind of long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Initial field report on my new Howa mini (kind of long post)

Initial field report on Howa mini 6.5 G with Boyd's stock; with some pics.
    I got in on the latest Brownells mini-action-barrel (the HB) stock for the Howa mini. I ordered a Boyds pro varmint stock for it - I have a similar stock for my (Howa!) 6.5 Creedmoor and it works well, the cheek rise is just about right for me.
    I'm only 35 rounds into my breakin series so the groupings (factory ammo) are ok but I'm not really counting them yet. The Federal 90 TNT's are about 1.5" and the 123sst's are about 1.25" at 100 yds, but this is still early. My other grendels can do 1" for the TNTs and <1" for the sst's so I think this mini will do the same after breakin.
    1. I like the trigger, it is like the one on my Howa CM so I have some run-time with the setup and so far it works ok for my hunting purposes.
    2. I like the short action. With the HB, scope, stock, MB and rings/bases it weighs in right at 9 lbs, again which is OK by me. It points well and the coyote coloring fits it well.
    3. Shooting so far has been very good as far as the feel etc. I'm using my poor-man's bipod which I have on several of my rifles, very functional again for my shooting.

20170727_65Howamini-2.jpg

Now there is one small minor issue that cropped up right from the start, and one extra comment.
    The "extra comment" - the mag and mag release work much too easily IMO, this means it could easily drop out in the field so I'll have to be careful with that.

The minor issue also involves the mag... it sits just a bit low in the mag well so that a round will not strip correctly with the bolt to go into the chamber. I have some pics.
    I tried this with both hornady 123 sst and 123 eld-m match, and with the Federal 90 TNTs.

If you just work the bolt then the round may start into battery but then the bolt will over-ride it and the round doesn't flow into chamber.
    On the other hand, if you hold the mag bottom up just a "tad" (I measured 0.020" in fact) so it is flush (no further upward movement) then the round strips great and flows into battery fine.

I didn't want to say anything until I had a 2d mag in hand but now I do and this happens for both of them. I think it is b/c the latch/mag combo lets the mag droop downward just enough off of flush, to cause this (again, 0.020" by my calipers). Or possibly if the mag-springs were a bit thicker/stronger maybe that would fix it... I don't know.

There is a work-around for now, which is just hold the mag-bottom while feeding the next round or single load, but I wonder if anyone else has seen this or is it something just on my rig.
    Not enough to make me overall unhappy but if a different mag/bottom metal solution comes along I would be thinking seriously about trying that out.

Matt, thanks to LSI for getting this to market, it's a cost-effective little shooter and that hits my sweet spot really well.

Pics to follow. (All factory ammo so far)

Federals loaded into mag, then showing over-ride, then with the hand on bottom, feed fine.
    20170729_Mag1.jpg. 20170729_Mag2.jpg. 20170729_Mag3.jpg 20170729_Mag4.jpg

Same basic results with the 123sst's
    20170729_Mag5sst.jpg 20170729_Mag6sst.jpg 20170729_Mag7sst.jpg
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • Bravo4
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Pull the bottom metal/mag system out and deepen the stock inletting by the .02 you measured. It's your inletting that is off, not the bottom metal/mag system. I had the same thing on my .308 bolt gun I use for long range.

Comment

• Sputnik
      Warrior
      • May 2013

+1. That fixed my Boyd's stock. Remember, they say a 99% fit "with minor adjustments may be needed" (paraphrasing). Careful not to go too much or the spent casing may catch on the upper receiver when extracting the round. Also, check your work with the correct torque on the reassembly. I suggest a remove your the wood from your inletting little at a time.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Guys,
        I will get my dremel out and see what it can do for me. Maybe just some sand paper...
        Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Sputnik, did you remove from the flat under the forward bolt or from the flat(s) farther back...
          I checked the manual and the torque they call for is 50-55 in-lbs.

Comment

• Sputnik
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Both equally. Dremel worked well, especially since I had to take a bit off the pillars as well, since I bedded it before I found the issue.
            Last edited by Sputnik; 07-30-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Bravo4
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2017

+1 to that. I used a dremel as well. Just take it slow and easy and you should be fine.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Took the grandsons out fishing today, their 2d time. Was fixing lines and chasing bobbers all afternoon. They had a good time, once I recover then I'll be starting in on this.
                Thanks again.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

"A man's got to know his limitations" - Clint Eastwood.
                  I looked at the inletting last night and I really don't know exactly what I'd be doing, "sort of" but not exactly... so another trip to my local GS - he'll do the fixin'. Don't want to mess it up.

Comment

• Dinny
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2016

I submit for your consideration, move the rear scope ring back away from the extraction port. It will give you more space and rings spaced farther apart provide better support to the scope.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Dinny, you're in Franklin? I grew up in Marion.
                      That's a thought worth considering. Thanks.

Comment

• Dinny
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        Dinny, you're in Franklin? I grew up in Marion.
                        That's a thought worth considering. Thanks.
                        In Franklin for now. Moving to SE VA next year.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

HA!!!! I'm in Northern Va... keep me posted. If I can help let me know.
                          You'll love the rifle/hunting freedoms cp to Ind.

Comment

• xlcc
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                            I submit for your consideration, move the rear scope ring back away from the extraction port. It will give you more space and rings spaced farther apart provide better support to the scope.

Thanks, Dinny
                            I was going to mention the same about the ring location.Further apart is better and less crowded around the loading port.
                            Nice pipe!

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

I had shifted the whole assembly forward to allow re-adjust on eye relief/ better cheek weld position, but didn't "focus" on the ring locations... thanks for lookin' out for me, guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X