• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ported45
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
    Yup! What dpete says above. If you are going to hunt with it, just be sure it's stand hunting or a stationary groundhog perch! The RAP is already heavy so adding even more weight creates less joy hauling it through laurel uphill! Ask me about it!
    The RAP is as light an most any other bolt action out there unless it is one marketed as a "light" rifle. The thing that makes the Grendel RAP heavier is the AR mag stuffed with ammo. I have RAPs in .308, 22-250, 6.5 Grendel, & 6.5 Creedmoor. All are light rifles with the mag of the Grendel making the difference. All others are flush mags; wish the Grendel was, too!

Comment

• JCart
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2021

Comment

• Rosecrans1
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

The thing that makes the Grendel RAP heavier is the AR mag stuffed with ammo

The biggest "thing" that makes the RAP heavy is the long varmint barrel. I have 5 rounds loaded while hunting. With a Viper PST scope, the AR mag and 5 rounds and a sling, it is indeed heavier than "most" deer rifles that several camp full of hunters I shared seasons with in Pennsylvania use or have used in the past. I'm not knocking or bashing the RAP. I own one in Grendel and one in 223. The price verses accuracy point is the best value in the 6.5 Grendel and a few other calibers I'm sure. But a 24" heavy barreled rifle is NOT a mountainous-forested region big game gun for covering large distances. The Greatest Generation GI carried an M1 Garand everywhere with close to 100 lbs of pack & ammo in WWII and Korea. I'm amazed at how the GI's of old did it.
        I'm a Boomer! When I hunt our mountains and ridges, either walking or driving for deer/bear, I go lite! If I stand hunt, the RAP or my 7mm08 heavy barreled 700 is with me.

Comment

• ported45
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Guess I got lucky and got a 22" standard contour barrel on my RAP. I don't consider it a varmint/heavy barrel. My RAPs are the lightest rifles I have; on par with my rimfire rifles and lighter than my .17's as they do have heavy barrels on them.
          Last edited by ported45; 07-21-2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X