• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

howa #1 20", mdt lss, lightweight hunt build

so i may have to follow through with this one now that i've seen the smoke carbon ar butt stock at 4 oz
    I’m back! I apologize for the long hiatus, I went on an extended vacation to visit family and also MOVED. The good news: All parts are in, and the build is finished. The better news: I will be...

the mdt lss chassis is 29 oz (1 lb 13 oz)
    the action and magazine (sans bottom plastic) is 57 oz
    talley rings are 2 oz
    smoke carbon butt stock 4 oz
    hogue polymer 15 degree grip 1.8 oz

before scope you'd be 93.8 oz (5.8625 lbs)

i'm seriously contemplating having my talented machinest do a skeletonize job on the chassis to see if he can mill out at least a quarter pound but i bet he could get a half pound out of it? there looks to be lots of extra aluminum there to make disappear

with a leupold fx2 6x36 or 2-7x33 or 4x33 you'd be around 6 lbs scoped

you could even consider adding in the folding stock adapter which adds 4.5 oz and then the rig folds up to 30.5" long and stuff it in your pack, without swiss cheesing the chassis you'd still be about 6 3/4 lbs scoped with folding stock adapter, 6.5 lbs without...goal will be 6 lbs scoped without f/s adapter

edit, i own the chassis, action, rings, xr folding stock adapter already, those weights are verified on my digital scale, only the butt stock and grip i haven't verified but they will be accurate i'm sure
    Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 05-15-2018, 03:04 PM.
  • Msalm
    Warrior
    • May 2018

That would make a handy,light rifle for sure. I don't mind the OEM factory plastic for what it is, but the metalwork is certainly nice enough to put something better on.

Comment

Working...
    X