• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinny
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Attn: Matt at LSI

Matt,
    We haven't heard much from you lately. I'm holding off on purchasing my next Mini. I'm really interested in knowing what's to come....

Thanks, Dinny
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Dinny - Matt is on deployment at the moment. Another LSI member chimed in a couple of threads, but I don't think they monitor it regularly.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

Godspeed Matt! BTDT.....3x

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
        Godspeed Matt! BTDT.....3x

Thanks, Dinny
        Hi all! im back from my Army dealings for the time being.

catch me up to speed, whats going on in the world of grendel.

I should be buttoning up a few projects here shortly and ill be able to release some pictures soon!

thanks!
        Matt

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Thank you for your service! Glad you are back safe!
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

WH Matt! Home beats the alternative. Glad you're still wandering Grendel halls.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Glad to see you are back safe and sound.

The latest hoping is that something is done about the safety design on the Howa HACT. Not much love for the "Sheet Metal" sticking up, would prefer a knurled knob or some such as seen on other rifles.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                Glad to see you are back safe and sound.

The latest hoping is that something is done about the safety design on the Howa HACT. Not much love for the "Sheet Metal" sticking up, would prefer a knurled knob or some such as seen on other rifles.
                i agree with this. let me check on this. we have another trigger/ sfety we used for the webley and scott empire rifle that had a better safety shoe. ill see if i can find images of it.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

Hi Matt,
                  Glad to see you back.

I was thinking of that exact same thing about the safety. Does the W&S use a HACT trigger as well? If so, it should be a drop in replacement correct?

You may want to read through this thread as well. He is doing some pretty interesting work with a HOWA hinged floor plate. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...te-Rifle-Build

I'm not sure if you saw the DIPinc bottom metal or not. Besides being made out of aluminum, it also preloads the mag release spring a bit more. With the mag release lever trimmed a bit as well, the accidental drops have been eliminated.

And finally, the inletting on the Howa stock (and therefore the Boyds stock) is wrong under the rear action screw. I think this is what leads to the rear action screw hole splitting so easily on the factory bottom plate.

I'm not complaining You did ask what was up The Howa Mini-Action is great. I have more than one, but these are the current findings of the guys who have been using them.

Oh one more thing that I have noticed personally. Mine doesn't shoot worth beans off of a bi-pod. Once I switched to a bag under the front action screw, I got great results. My suspicion is the flex that I was getting out of the factory stock, but there are too many other variables to say that with 100% confidence.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• flatland1
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2018

I don't want to get into a pissing match, but honestly, I don't see anything much wrong with the existing safety lever on Howas. I think it's the best shape they could've come up with when using a single stamped piece of steel. And as far as the Timney trigger's safety goes, I have managed to pop one of the little knobs off their safety lever. Anyway you look at it, the HACT trigger is far superior to the abortion Remington puts on their latest M700 actions.

Comment

• ricsmall
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post

Oh one more thing that I have noticed personally. Mine doesn't shoot worth beans off of a bi-pod. Once I switched to a bag under the front action screw, I got great results. My suspicion is the flex that I was getting out of the factory stock, but there are too many other variables to say that with 100% confidence.

FG

I’ve noticed this on three of the mini Grendel’s. Mine is good now with the Boyd’s.

Matt, Thanks for your service and glad you made it home safe.Do you foresee just an action(the mini of course) being available in the future for us wildcatters? I’d love to buy a couple to build on. Just throwing it out since this thread has come alive.
                      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

thank you!

no, actions will not be offered. only barreled actions. this will most likely never change

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by flatland1 View Post
                          I don't want to get into a pissing match, but honestly, I don't see anything much wrong with the existing safety lever on Howas. I think it's the best shape they could've come up with when using a single stamped piece of steel. And as far as the Timney trigger's safety goes, I have managed to pop one of the little knobs off their safety lever. Anyway you look at it, the HACT trigger is far superior to the abortion Remington puts on their latest M700 actions.
                          honestly, if people are nit-picking the safety lever....everything else must be going pretty smoothly : )

Comment

• Matt @ LSI
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                            Hi Matt,
                            Glad to see you back.

I was thinking of that exact same thing about the safety. Does the W&S use a HACT trigger as well? If so, it should be a drop in replacement correct?

You may want to read through this thread as well. He is doing some pretty interesting work with a HOWA hinged floor plate. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...te-Rifle-Build

I'm not sure if you saw the DIPinc bottom metal or not. Besides being made out of aluminum, it also preloads the mag release spring a bit more. With the mag release lever trimmed a bit as well, the accidental drops have been eliminated.

And finally, the inletting on the Howa stock (and therefore the Boyds stock) is wrong under the rear action screw. I think this is what leads to the rear action screw hole splitting so easily on the factory bottom plate.

I'm not complaining You did ask what was up The Howa Mini-Action is great. I have more than one, but these are the current findings of the guys who have been using them.

its a version of the HACT. no these are not compatible with the mini.
                            we have something in the works as far as a bottom metal...stay tuned.

Howa has updated the floor plate to crack resistant.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

Thanks for the updates Matt. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. You are correct, if we are nit-picking the safety (which I am) then everything else is going pretty well. Keep up the good work. We really appreciate that little mini-action and especially it being in 6.5 Grendel.

I honestly tried to like the Ruger Americans, twice in fact. The Howa has it's issues, but they are much easier to fix and in the end it is a much nicer rifle.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                              X