Weight difference between 20" HVB and 22" Sporter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sixoeight
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

Weight difference between 20" HVB and 22" Sporter?

I am looking to build a fairly customized lightweight hunting rifle using a Howa barreled action. I was leaning toward the 20" because I do have a can, but I am curious what the weight difference is between the 2 barrel options. The Brownells website has information that cannot be true. It said something like 3.6lbs for the sporter vs 6.7lbs in the q&a of the 20" hvb which doesn't seem possible.
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Legacy Sports' brochure lists the difference as .4 pounds.

Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Sixoeight
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

That's not too bad of a difference. Thanks

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

3.6 lb
        3.8 lb
        4.4 lb

20" #1 contour
        22" #2 contour
        20" #6 contour

i have weighed the 20" #1 against the 22" #2 and there is 4.0 oz between them.

The 20" hb is .6 lb more than the 22" (3/4 of a pound roughly if going by 4oz for every .2 of a lb that i got from weighing the two)

if you slab the action and flute the bolt you can get another 3 oz off an action, as i've had this done

and if you have a good machinest he can remove nearly half a pound out of an mdt lss chassis, i got 7 oz out of one of mine, now it weighs 1 lb 6 oz, when it used to weigh 1 lb 13 oz.

1" talley rings add 2.0 oz, 30mm talley rings add 2.5 oz

the rest of the weights you can find for your stock/grip/scope etc. and you can build a pretty lightweight howa grendel, even on a chassis

smoke composites makes a 4 oz butt stock (carbon fiber), you can find 1.8 oz grip but i prefer one about 2.5 oz

start adding up the possibilities and you'll be scoped in the low 6-6.5 lb range...about as light a chassis build in the world, i will likely do a 24" proof carbon barrel on my slabbed action and lighter chassis, don't care if barrel has a bit of weight at the end as they balance and shoot better in hunting situations than tail heavy rigs and without heavy barrel chassis rigs are tail heavy, so thats the reason i'm putting attention into saving weight in the chassis/action, so at sporter weight it points and holds well
        Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-18-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Sixoeight
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

Thanks for all the information! Very interesting build that you have planned.

I am not going the chassis route just because I am used to hunting with a more traditional style rifle. My plan is a Boyd's laminate and I will hollow out the butt a bit and probably have the forearm milled out in the barrel channel to cut some weight. I am hoping to get the stock down to around 2lbs and still be well balanced. We will see. I just started this because I read conflicting information and wanted to be sure I wasn't going to end up with a heavy rifle due simply to the barrel profile. I am replacing a 9.5lb savage 308 so it should easily make my hunts more enjoyable!
          Last edited by Sixoeight; 07-20-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• jason miller
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

My HB Howa is just barely over 7lbs with a Leupold 3-9x40 mounted in Talley lightweights. That's with probably ~6oz or so removed from the factory stock, though.

Comment

Working...
            X