6.5 Grendel velocities out of a 14" barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Friendly
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

6.5 Grendel velocities out of a 14" barrel?

you can merge my thread about velocities out of barrels longer than 24" if you like, but digging around MGM's website, I see I can get some short barrels in a plethora of cartridges for my Pro Hunter, and reading up on a fellow in BC that shoots a 338JDJ and 375JDJ out of 14" barrels, made me wonder how well the performance of the 6.5 Grendel would be maintained.

I recall reading an article where fellows cut back a 24" bull barrel in 1" increments (they did not re-crown) all the way back to 16" on the .308 and while there was a velocity drop, accuracy was maintained and all within spitting distances of each other at the end of day. they did not factor in different loads I don't believe, so the shorter barrel shots were not optimized.

how does that info translate here?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Run any load you want though this Grendel-specific calculator.

Shooter's Notes 6.5 Grendel Barrel Length/Velocity Calculator

With a 14" Grendel shooting 123gr cup/core bullets, at 50,000psi chamber pressure and optimum powders, you'll be in the high 2300fps region, low 2400fps maybe.

We're looking at 2325-2420fps.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sixoeight
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

I seem to remember that article haha

I don't know the laws in Canada but one other consideration would be legal barrel length. A 14" barrel would not fly here without it being a "pistol" or paying and waiting for an SBR.

These questions and the questions about long barrels have answers that are entirely dependent on one other question. What are you using it for?

If you were blind folded and lead up to a 6.5 Grendel rifle looking down the scope and fired off a few rounds, even when inspecting your 100-800 yard target you wouldn't be able to tell if the barrel was 12 inches or 6 feet. Your use will determine the best barrel length.
      Last edited by Sixoeight; 07-24-2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Friendly
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2018

as long as the OAL of the rifle is 26", you're good with a few caveat's. the barrel length must be factory original, it can't be a cut-down/modified barrel. I believe you can cut back until it's 18", but shorter it must be factory original.

our laws regarding SBR's are much friendlier up here in Canada.

and if you saw the bush where I will hunt, having an SBR to manage will be very beneficial. it's rain forest, so thick and dark, so not having a big long barrel to swing and tangle will be a bonus. I'm looking to get a short barrel in .358 Win for my T/C, but I wondered about the Grendel.

Comment

• Sixoeight
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

In that kind of bush it doesn't sound like you will be taking 800 yard shots so the 14" would work great.

Comment

Working...
          X