X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taz575
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

My Howa Mini 1500 in 6.5 Grendel. Outer Impact rail, Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15x. I always seem to pull 1 shot out of the 5! Orange Diamond target is Hornady Black and the square and circle is Alexander Arms 123 SST. 1/2" and 5/8" for the 4 shots if I throw out the flier. Less than 50 rds down the tube. My Chassis arrives tomorrow, need to decide on the ar style stock for it. Thinking the Luth AR? I want something adjustable, but not $240 like the PRS3! aa6.5g.jpghb6.5g.jpgmini6.5.jpg

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Taz575 View Post
      ... I always seem to pull 1 shot out of the 5! ...
      It's called a Stonehendge (is it ok to mention his name for the next 6 mo?). Seems to be a fairly common affliction around here. Working towards a .3 MOA group, then crap, barely a 1.0
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Taz575
        Warrior
        • Jul 2018

Ok, got the factory stock forend stiffened using metal based epoxies (marine tex, jb kwik weld, etc) and aluminum channel. MDT BRN-1 from Brownells also arrived, Luth-Ar MBA3 is the stock I went with. The MDT doesn't feed #4 and #5 from the mag normally unless I am pushing up on the mag; the bolt just goes right over the rounds. The MDT is way more comfy from the bench, but the Factory may be the better hunting stock. Group sizes are around the same average between the 2 stocks, but the MDT seems more consistent and easier to shoot with. I also noticed approx 7-8" vertically in poi/poa between the 2 stocks.
        Last edited by Taz575; 08-18-2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Taz575
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

Got some shooting in today, found a good 123 SST handload!! 28.33gr 8208XBR, CCI SR primers, 123 SST 1.73" and 1.72" to ogive (1.75" to lands) in the 20" Howa mini HB in the BRN-1 chassis from Brownells, Luth-AR MBA-3 stock. Middle group is right around .3", right group is around .49". 10mph winds gusting to 15 mph. Next is reloading more of this recipe and trying it in the stiffened factory stock!

I tried some 120gr NBT at .01", .02", .03" ogive off the lands, same powder charge, results were around 1.5" groups. Tried 100gr NBT with 28, 28.5, 29, 29.5, 30, 30.5gr of TAC set .02" ogive off of lands, most were 2" groups. No pressure signs at 30.5 TAC either, 2670 FPS ave. Do NBTs like a longer jump?

hmmdtbrn1.jpg123SST LD.jpg

Comment

• Stevil
            Banned
            • Dec 2015

Damn fine reloading Taz575, will be following your further load development

Comment

• Taz575
              Warrior
              • Jul 2018

Contacted MDT and they have some longer mag catch latches en route to me to try out. It seems the mag is just slightly low in the chassis and the longer catch should push it back up a hair that it needs; it's only like 1 mm low or so. Going to order some 120gr Gold Dots next; they should have less collateral meat damage than the 123SST on deer hopefully! I think the 123 SST load should work well with coyote hunting around here; I don't care if I blow them up!

Debating on making an AR Upper or not for the Grendel. With the short action, I can cycle the bolt pretty quickly for follow up shots. I am getting excellent accuracy out of this setup, which I was looking for. I don't often shoot semi auto's except for 22 or my Ruger PCC 9mm at plates. My 223 AR doesn't get much use and I have a AR Lower with no upper sitting around.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

A lower with no upper is begging for a Grendel.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Taz575
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

I don't even shoot my 223 wylde upper all that much; I seem to shoot my bolt action rifles more than my semi auto's? My MAK-90 rarely gets shot, either. When I bring out rifles, it's usually the bolt actions.

Comment

Working...
                  X