• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sixoeight
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

Howa HACT vs Timney Triggers

Hey all,

For my Howa 20" Heavy barrel build I am trying to make a decision about the trigger. I actually bought a trigger before I even bought the barreled action. I picked up a Timney 609 1.5-4lb trigger. It's still in the box because I was really surprised by the Howa factory HACT trigger. It's nicer than I expected.

I do not however like the safety. The 3 position is fine but I don't really need it. What I really don't like is the bent sheet metal safety lever. It looks and feels really cheap. It is also super hard to switch positions. It actually hurts my thumb to actuate it on the sharp sheet metal. Does this smooth out over time?

The Timney has a nice knurled rounded knob that seems like it would be nicer, but I haven't opened the package in case I decide to sell it.

The Howa is a 2 stage and the Timney is a single stage.

Does anyone have experience with the Timney? I have read some issues with installs on the mini but I am not worried about that since this build is fairly intricate already. Would the Timney be a nice upgrade?
    Last edited by Sixoeight; 07-25-2018, 07:16 PM.
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

I have the timney in a weatherby vanguard 7-08. Mind you this has been a long time 1993 I believe. At the time the factory trigger sucked and only had a 2 position safety. So the timney for 70.00 at the time was a huge upgrade. The safety is very functional and you can easily adjust poundage and creep in the trigger to your liking. This is on a hunting gun, so I turned the poundage up to 3lbs. But had it at 1.5 when I shot silhouette. I can't comment on how it compares to the current howa but the timney is well made, adjustable and a solid unit.

2 notes I had to do minor stock inserting for the safety, and when it came from the factory it was so light it would fire on bolt closure, so function test before you run live rounds through it!

Comment

• Cooper
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2018

I really like the HACT trigger. I find them a very nice hunting trigger. I put a spring kit in my trigger on the 6.5 Creedmoor but my 3 other Mini action (204,223 and 6.5 Grendel) are standard. They all break about 3lbs. I'd probably be happier closer to 2lbs. It's an easy fix if I was that fussy. Either cut a coil off the spring or put a spring kit like I have done with my Creedmoor.

I have an older Wetherby (Howa) with had the older style single stage trigger. Over time it got worse. Seemed to get stiffer. Had a gunsmith tune it. But I still wasn't happy. So I put a Timmey on it. It's a nice trigger. But ideally I'd have all my triggers the same.

Comment

• Sixoeight
        Warrior
        • Jul 2018

I think I will stick with the HACT only because it is more like the rifles I usually hunt with.

Comment

• Sticks
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2016

Myself and the three ladies are all running HACT trigger with 1.25 coils cut off the mainspring. Feather light take up first stage, and crisp break on the second around 1#. The safety for the 14 Y/O, 17 y/o and the Mother (all very petite with tiny hands) does not bother them...though they don't know anything else but an AR safety.

I suspect the safety will smooth out over time. Work it.
          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sixoeight
            Warrior
            • Jul 2018

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think I will stick with the HACT but man that safety is an eye sore. Are there any replacement levers? I am guessing that there are not.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

I agree about the safety lever being an eyesore. It's not as bad as the bottom plastic, but it does bring down the overall feel of the rifle.

I'm not quite sure why people are cutting the coils on the HACT triggers though, or replacing the springs. They are adjustable. It adjusts just like my Marlin XT-22 trigger. The Marlin tells you how to adjust it in the manual. The Howa manual does not. Howa even puts a glob of white rubbery paint over the adjustment screw so that you don't adjust it, but it is still adjustable. I can see why they wouldn't want you to for liability reasons, but at least it isn't as permanent as cutting the coils. Am I missing something other than getting the trigger pull down past the lowest setting?
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sixoeight
                Warrior
                • Jul 2018

In my understanding the coil cutting it to bring the pull weight down below the minimum possible with the adjustment. Essentially once you've adjusted all of the pressure out of the coil that you can with the screw you can also cut down the coil to further reduce the pressure. I don't plan to cut the coil because this is going to be a hunting rifle. While hunting I prefer to have a bit of resistance before the break so that I can have my finger on the trigger while getting ready for the shoot without fear of firing before I intend to.

Comment

• roor
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2018

Comment

• Sixoeight
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

Originally posted by roor View Post
                    Factory limit for HACT is 3lbs. I went with the upgrade spring kit to 1.5 lbs. Now there’s a lot more adjustability rather than going all the way down to minimum and still being light enough.

FYI mines used for precision so that’s why I went that’s light. I also tested the safety and it’s still working.

Edit: AFAIK the timney won’t fit in the trigger guard with modding
                    This is for my build using a SA 1500 bottom metal so the modding wouldn't be needed.

Comment

• flatland1
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2018

I've put several Timneys on both SA 1500s & Minis, and always felt it was a good move, although there's often a little inlet work to be done on either the stock or the PTG Stealth DBM I typically use on Howa 1500 actions. However, after cutting a coil off my last Mini's OEM trigger, I doubt I'll ever spend the $$ on another Timney - getting the HACT trigger down to 1.25lbs with complete safety is as good as it's going to get with the Mini. I use Jewell HVR triggers on most of my M700 or Bighorn custom actions, and they come out of the package set at 1lb - so I'm used to the light break.

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

The HACT trigger is pretty much fully adjusted to being as loose as possible, and still 3# or more. Lots of reports of people backing off the adjustment screw to the point it falls out and the trigger pull is still heavy.

Cutting coils release the preload and then you can tighten the tensions to increase the pull and tune it.

IIRC the LSI rep (Matt) stated that the adjustment is meant to be fixed as the minimum - ergo people bubadizing the FCG or replacing the spring.

All the ones I have done have passed the bounce and mortar test (did not fire - drop safe).

Appearance of the safety - really? It functions, it's small, and well camouflaged being the same color as the action. I think it's fine. It's a utilitarian rifle that happens to shoot really well.

ETA - Of the bolt action Grendels available, it is the top dog at the moment.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sixoeight
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post

Appearance of the safety - really? It functions, it's small, and well camouflaged being the same color as the action. I think it's fine. It's a utilitarian rifle that happens to shoot really well.

I'm not suggesting I am going to give up on the rifle. The safety is a minor issue it is just the one part of the gun that looks like it was made from a tin can and seems cheap in terms of appearance and feel.

Comment

• jbmarshtx
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by flatland1 View Post
                            I've put several Timneys on both SA 1500s & Minis, and always felt it was a good move, although there's often a little inlet work to be done on either the stock or the PTG Stealth DBM I typically use on Howa 1500 actions...
                            Does the Howa Timney fit into the mini? I have the DIP bottom metal, boyds stock bedded by a gunsmith, but I haven't put the scope etc. on yet. I like single stage triggers and was considering buying the 2# Timney.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Sticks
                              I agree it is the best option out there, but it could still be better.

Cutting coils release the preload and then you can tighten the tensions to increase the pull and tune it.
                              This makes sense and was the answer I was looking for. Thanks

The HACT trigger is pretty much fully adjusted to being as loose as possible, and still 3# or more. Lots of reports of people backing off the adjustment screw to the point it falls out and the trigger pull is still heavy.
                              Adjusting mine made a noticeable difference. It's still not 1.5 pounds, but it is better than my Rise Armament RA-140 triggers that I paid $100 each for. Most "drop-in" AR triggers cost north of $100 and have a trigger pull of 3.5-4.5 pounds. The TriggerTech ($193 at Brownell's) can be adjusted down to 2.5 pounds, but off hand I can't think of any that go down below that. I guess that it just depends on your perspective and end use. To me, getting a 3-3.5 pound two stage trigger with a great clean break in a $430 rifle seems like a great deal.

I guess that (again) it is all perspective. Is is a utilitarian rifle that happens to shoot really well? Or is it a quality rifle with a butter smooth action, very accurate barrel and a great factory trigger that they put in a Rubber-maid stock with a Tupperware bottom plate and sheet metal safety?
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                              X