would the Grendel benefit from a 28" barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Friendly
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

would the Grendel benefit from a 28" barrel?

so I've decided I will buy a custom barrel for my T/C Pro Hunter. being custom, I can get it at any length...but being most barrels from T/C are 28", I'm curious if the Grendel would benefit?
  • Sixoeight
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

I'm posting here as this is in relation to getting a barrel for my T/C Pro Hunter. so I'm curious about whether any more velocity is ecked out in using a barrel light like, say 27"? also, suggestions for companies that make a 6.5 Grendel barrel for the Pro Hunter would be appreciated. I do have a CDN reseller that gets

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

You'll want to check with bwaites, on that. As far as I am aware, he's the only member who's owned one with a 28 inch tube. He's spoken quite favorably about it, but I don't recall how much improvement over, say, a 24" bbl there would be.

ETA: thanks, 6-0-8
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• nockhunter
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Friendly View Post
        so I've decided I will buy a custom barrel for my T/C Pro Hunter. being custom, I can get it at any length...but being most barrels from T/C are 28", I'm curious if the Grendel would benefit?
        You sure will!

Check this.

Mike

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Friendly View Post
          FR:

I had a CSS Match Rifle that used the 7.62 X 39 bolt. I believe the barrel was 28" on those but can't quite remember. Nothing spectacular from it other than poor performance past 500 plus sheared bolt lugs and a broken side charging knob.

I currently have a Match Rifle using a 26 inch barrel that my barrel maker made for me. Barely long enough for a decent sight radius with match rifle sights. Great shooter, no mechanical problems. If I were to do it again, I would go with a 24 inch barrel and a six inch bloop tube to bring some of the weight back towards me when shooting standing. However, if I were to shoot over the course again, I would use my 6 AR with a 26" barrel simply because it is a much more competitive cartridge.

You won't get a increase in velocity big enough to make a difference between a 24 and 28" barrel.

If you intend on using irons, I would go with a 22 or 24 inch barrel and a six inch bloop tube.

If you intend on using an optic, I would go with a 18 or 22 inch barrel -- fluted to remove weight.

LR55

Comment

• Friendly
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2018

my bad. I've got memory issues from some head trauma 20 years ago. sometimes I cross up what I have asked...sorry for the double post. mod's, can my 24" and this 28" query be merged?

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Running the numbers on Quickload you will get an extra 70fps extending the barrel from 24" to 28". As the barrel gets longer and heavier the incremental benefit drops to a point where you wonder why you are not using a 6.5 with a shorter barrel and larger case (6.5*47, 260Rem, 6.5 Creedmore).

Comment

• jkingrph
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

My CZ American came standard with a 24" barrel. I wish it were a little heavier, not up to varmite , but maybe a heavy sporter weight . If it could be had with open sights I would love to have a 26" barrel. I have a Husqvarna M46 with a long barrel, 25 or 26 and love it with the open sights and long sight radius.
                Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

In an AR with rifle length gas, the 28” is actually a liability. There is too much dwell, and running even hot factory ammo could cause case head swelling. I had excellent accuracy, and Factory Hornady ammo shot 1/2 MOA, but factory LBC was too hot and I could make Grendel belted magnum cases. I also could not run handloaded 123’s with 8208 at 28.3 grains without doing the same. That load has been safe in every other Grendel I’ve had. The additional 4 inches over a 24 only got me 40FPS, not as much as I had hoped for.

In a bolt gun, where you might be able to safely load hotter and use a slower powder such as RL15, 16, or 17, it might get you more. Lapua brass is theoretically good to 60,000 PSI, so running a bolt gun hotter is done frequently.

Comment

Working...
                  X