• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howl
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Ruger and Howa impressions

I finally got my hands on both the Ruger and Howa Grendels.

The Ruger is a heavy gun for what it is. I am mainly interested for a youth rifle, so the weight is more than a little fella will want shooting offhand. For an adult, the weight might be welcome. I was disappointed they did not use all that metal in the action to better support the bolt at the rearmost position. With the short Grendel bolt throw in an effectively over-sized action this should have been a very smooth action. It binds at the rear of the stroke just like any Ruger made for a longer cartridge. If you don't know what I'm talking about check out something like a Sauer 200.

The Howa Mini action ain't so mini. The first thing that came to mind is I was expecting smaller than a Remington Model Seven, but it handled as if about the same size. It is smaller isn't it? It doesn't feel that way. Of course, the Howa isn't balanced as well a Model Seven. That means a lot. I don't exactly understand the point of making the shorter action if it doesn't work out to be appreciably smaller. They could have done a Model Seven sized action and been able to use it for short action cartridges as well.

And I saw what people mean about the mag release being too long. I dumped the magazine on the floor right off the bat.

These aren't necessarily criticisms, just my impressions offered for anyone who has not been able to find examples to look at in person.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I have handled all three bolt actions in 6.5 Grendel, Howa, Ruger and Cz. I bought the Cz 527 American with 24” barrel. The action is smooth and I think with a little tweeking the trigger will be gtg. I just wish the Cz had a 22” or 20” barrel. The magazine release is secure on the Cz but is not the most user friendly. I like the wood stock on the Cz and the fit and finish on my Cz is good.

If I hadn’t gotten such a good deal on the Cz I would’ve probably bought a Howa barreled action from Brownell’s. I wish the Cz came with a threaded barrel but none of three rifles were perfect to me. The Ruger I looked at on display did not have a mag in the well but I cycled the bolt and it seemed smooth. The balance of the Ruger felt good to me but I really didn’t like the looks as well as the Howa or Cz.

I will shoot my Cz mostly from the bench or prone so the 24” barrel is not a real problem. The little shooting I’ve done with the Cz the accuracy has been very good.

I like the safety better on the Howa compared to the Cz but don’t remember any issues with the Ruger safety. I think it boils down to personal choice. I think all three have hammer forged barrels and should have the potential for good accuracy.

I did purchase a DIP 25 MOA rail for my Cz so I can now use any scope rings which will fit on a standard Weaver rail. I didn’t like that the Cz requires a specific scope ring. The DIP mount is good quality and easy to install plus is reasonably priced.

Comment

• PA452
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2018

I just got a Howa barreled action and slapped it into a new Boyd's stock last Friday. It's nice, but I wish the barrel and action was shorter. I have a CZ 527 that started life as a 7.62x39. Years ago I had it rebarreled to 6.5G with an 18" Bartlein barrel. It's a tack driver. I got used to that 18" barrel, but also I noticed the CZ action is shorter. When I stick my 9" .308 suppressor on the Howa, it feels crazy long. I have a 7" suppressor on the way (NFA check cashed mid-April, so with current wait times I'm expecting to get it mid-October). That will help some.

CZ relatively recently came out with their 527 Suppressor-Ready model; currently chambered in only 7.62x39 and .300 Blackout. I have one in .300 Blackout and like it a lot. I hope they eventually offer that model in 6.5 Grendel, I'll probably buy one immediately.
      Last edited by PA452; 08-16-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by howl View Post
        The Howa Mini action ain't so mini. The first thing that came to mind is I was expecting smaller than a Remington Model Seven, but it handled as if about the same size. It is smaller isn't it? It doesn't feel that way. Of course, the Howa isn't balanced as well a Model Seven. That means a lot. I don't exactly understand the point of making the shorter action if it doesn't work out to be appreciably smaller. They could have done a Model Seven sized action and been able to use it for short action cartridges as well.
        What barrel length and profile do you have? Mine is a 20" lightweight. It feels very small and balanced to me.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Same, only I don't have it as it is still in the store where I looked at it. These things are subjective.

Comment

• flatland1
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2018

I bought a CZ527 carbine in 7.62x39 several years ago, pulled the bbl, and replaced it with a 6mm Krieger #4 sporter that I chambered for a 6RAT (6.5 Grendel necked down leaving a false shoulder, then fireformed - looks like a miniature 6 Dasher). Finished this bbl at 24", which looks a little long when placed in the carbine stock with its shorter forend, but it balances very nicely for carry or offhand, and is very accurate. Downside to the CZ - with that Mauser-style claw extractor, you can't single feed 105gr bullets seated out past mag length. I guess there's a SLED adapter that will allow this, but with this light bbl, I intended this rifle for field use, not bench shooting, so want mag-fed ammo. It's an attractive rifle, with some nice figure in the Turkish walnut stock & polished/blued action - just not as versatile as a push-feed Howa.

I've got another 6RAT on a Mini action, this one with a Bartlein in light Palma contour, also finished at 24". I put it in a McMillan Game Scout stock with DIP DBM, after trimming the trigger spring, and attaching a Warne 20 MOA scope rail. Have an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 mil scope on it, and am very pleased with the accuracy. Have shot a few 5rd groups at 600yds with 90gr Berger BTHP/H4895 that measured right at 1 MOA, and one at 500yds that went well under 1 MOA. Really like this little rifle, but wish I'd have gone with a slightly lighter bbl. Aiming to rectify that situation by pulling the OEM 7.62x39 bbl off another Mini bbl'd action just ordered from Brownells - they were running a sale on these for $219 dealer cost, plus I used the NDX discount for free shipping + 10% off. This action will be fitted with a Krieger #3 sporter in 6RAT; am trying to decide between a Boyds Heritage or Prairie Hunter stock in Royal Jacaranda laminate, or try to get a little lighter by going with straight walnut. Should make for a nice carry rifle for walking up the occasional coyote.

Then there's another Mini out in the shop that came with a std wt 222 Rem bbl which I've pulled. There's a Bartein 20 cal #2 sporter bbl in the 2nd lathe right now which will be chambered in 20 Tactical. It's a 1-9tw, as I'm wanting to try 55gr Berger BTHPs in it. If they don't shoot well, I've got some 40gr V-Max bullets that almost certainly will. It's going into a Boyds ProVarmint w/adj cheekpiece. Not sure which scope it'll wear, but most likely be another Ares 4.5-27x50. Need to place an order for two more DIP DBM units - once you've gotten used to this DBM, you really don't want to settle for the OEM plastic stuff.

Anyone need some new, unfired, pulled Mini bbls? I've got a std wt 6.5 Grendel, 222 Rem std wt, and will have the 7.62x39 mentioned above as soon as I receive that bbl'd action & can get the bbl pulled.

Comment

Working...
            X