• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HokeyPokeyKid
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

howa mini bottom metal

So I recently picked up a howa mini in 6.5 grendel and one in 7.62x39 as well and both trigger guards were cracked right out of the box..
    so without even looking around for another option I went ahead and made my own out of 6061 aluminum.

After making a few prototypes and some extras I found the DIP product, which looks pretty well made.

This is my take on the same part, using the factory plastic as a template and adding a few flourishes of my own.

resized finished part.jpg
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Looks great! How long did that take you to make?
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Good work sir.

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
        Looks great! How long did that take you to make?
        It took me about 4 hours to 3d model it, and about 6 hours to make the first one including fixtures and special tooling.

I did it after hours at my day job.
        Last edited by HokeyPokeyKid; 11-13-2018, 01:48 AM. Reason: details and spelling

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Good work sir.
          Thank you

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Hey no problem sir.

Keep your tooling sharp and oiled sir.

New howa mag coming out soon and we will need a machinest too build us bottom metal to fit it into wood and plastic style stocks hint hint hint lmao.

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
              Warrior
              • Sep 2018

I saw that....,
              I already drew up a couple of other versions to use other magazines but they all require some stock inletting.
              The new magwell would probably be the same, this new option is extremely promising though.

I like Howa rifles and love to see these developments.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by HokeyPokeyKid View Post
                I saw that....,
                I already drew up a couple of other versions to use other magazines but they all require some stock inletting.
                The new magwell would probably be the same, this new option is extremely promising though.

I like Howa rifles and love to see these developments.
                Oh it for sure would need to be inleted to the stock but it sure would be nice to order the new mag and then get a new bottom metal to fit it to my howa action and boyd's stock.

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2018

I drew a simple template to match one of my other designs that would make inletting pretty easy, I just never made it because I saw no need.
                  This new magazine might be a game changer for this rifle.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I know we haven't really seen it in real life yet, but is there hope for using the new mag in the old ("Rev. 0") version stock?
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2018

On the thread that introduced the prototype of the new magazine it was basically stated that it will
                      currently only work with the new chassis that is being developed along side it.

So in order to make it work for a traditional stock inletting is the only current answer.

Comment

• flatland1
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2018

That's a good-looking DBM! As satisfied as I've been with the two DIP DBM units I'm currently using, it's always encouraging to see what someone else has come up with, and I do like the shape of your unit's trigger guard bow better than that of the DIP units.

I've got DIP units on the two Mini-based rifles I've re-barreled - one's a 6RAT in a McM Game Scout stock, the other one a 20 Tactical in a Boyds ProVarmint. The rear action bolt hole of the 1st rifle split while I was torquing the rear bolt, so using the DIP unit was out of necessity. I didn't even bother to assemble the 20 Tactical into the Boyds stock until after I'd put the mag latch, spring, & pin out of the OEM plastic part over into the DIP DBM. As pleased as I've been with Howa for bringing out the Mini action (especially with the 6.5 Grendel boltface!), I'm still disappointed that they even considered using plastic bottom 'metal' on them. Putting real bottom metal on these two rifles made a significant improvement to them IMHO, and not having to worry about accidentally releasing & dropping the mags is another bonus. Really looking forward to seeing what sort of DBM arrangement Howa comes up with for use with the new magazines...

Comment

• Trueblue
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Count me in a your bottom metal if you decide to make for sale

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Trueblue View Post
                            Count me in a your bottom metal if you decide to make for sale
                            Are you talking about the current design I just showed? or possible future designs...I actually made about 24 of the ones pictured.

I ordered a 12 foot bar to make my own parts that I needed and ran all the material I had left.
                            Last edited by HokeyPokeyKid; 11-13-2018, 08:45 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

• Trueblue
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2018

Either or!
                              Are you making these for sale?

Comment

Working...
                              X