• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaGuideMan
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2018

Howa And CZ

Just curious how the two brands compare in the accuracy department. My Howa is accurate and I know CZ makes fine products. I am thinking about adding the CZ to my collection so I was wondering how the two compare.
    Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit!
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Howa is the better of the two in accuracy and function. I have not shot a CZ, but reports from others indicate the same.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I haven't shot the CZ but if what I have seen with my howa is going to be typical, I'm not sure you can do much better then the howa as for as accuracy goes.

I almost bought the CZ American varmint rifle because it gave me all my wants but the bolt to scope clearance problem and having to use taller rings then I would have liked turned me away from the CZ.

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

I have shot and handled both and the Howa feels better made and is more accurate in my hands. The CZ is no slouch in the quality department though. I would buy the CZ myself just because I have a compulsion to buy every gun that catches my eye...

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

"Out of the box" I think that the CZ is a better rifle. It has a nicer mag and stock. The CZ isn't as smooth of an action as the Howa and it does have the scope clearance issue along with a proprietary mount. Also you can't make a flush fit mag for it. If you are willing to put extra money, time and effort into a Howa, it will be a nicer rifle in the end (IMO anyways). Either one is a good choice though.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I have the Cz American in 6.5 Grendel and I’m using the Dip 25 MOA mount which accepts standard rings. Good accurate rifle but barrel heats up pretty fast. Easy to shoot off hand but I normally shoot off the bench with the Cz.

I like mine but would’ve preferred a 22” barrel but I like it for what it is.

Comment

• GaGuideMan
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2018

I kind of felt like the CZ wouldn't be able to out shoot the Howa but I wanted some input from you folks. I think that if I am able to add a second Grendel to my collection it will probably be the 20" heavy barrel model Mini Action with some sort of camo stock or some sort of Boyds stock.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The Howa is more versatile to customize to fit your preferences if you buy the action only from Brownell’s. I seriously considered buying the Howa and a chassis but a Friend offered me the Cz at a great price. I have less than 50 rounds through my Cz and I read where accuracy improves on the hammer forged Cz barrels after the first couple hundred rounds.

With the Dip bottom metal and all the stock options it’s hard to go wrong with the 20” threaded barrel Howa.

Comment

• splashy
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

I have both. The Mini in an MDt chassis, and the CZ with a varmint barrel in a B&C stock. They both shoot exceptionally well, nothing between then in accuracy. The Howa has the stupid bottom metal and the magazine release. The CZ is, overall, a much better made and complete package, and a FAR superior trigger.
                  I have both because I really like the cal. I had the mini first, and then got the CZ to see what it would do in a longer, heavier barrel. And now when I go out it is the CZ that I grab. But the Howa still gets a run.
                  They are both good pieces of kit. If I was to have one (which isn't the question), I would have the CZ. So get one.

Comment

• GaGuideMan
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2018

You guys are helping on one hand and not helping on the other. With all of the input I will probably end up with 3 or 4 in the Grendel. You should never give an addict reasons to keep being an addict. That's why I am blame me furthering my addiction on y'all. Jokes aside the CZ looks like a great rifle and based on my experience with other CZ products, it is likely well made. Another Howa and a CZ. I've made up my mind. Thanks

Comment

• splashy
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by GaGuideMan View Post
                      You guys are helping on one hand and not helping on the other. With all of the input I will probably end up with 3 or 4 in the Grendel. You should never give an addict reasons to keep being an addict. That's why I am blame me furthering my addiction on y'all. Jokes aside the CZ looks like a great rifle and based on my experience with other CZ products, it is likely well made. Another Howa and a CZ. I've made up my mind. Thanks
                      This will match what is in my safe - LOL. They are both different and both great. Enjoy, and glad we could help.

Comment

• murfvol
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2016

It's anecdotal, but at 200 yards with a completely stock 20" HB Howa and off the shelf SSTs, I had three shots (out of three) touching.

Caldwell bags were supporting, not a Lead Sled. All I was doing was verifying zero for a hunting trip.

Comment

• GaGuideMan
                          Unwashed
                          • Dec 2018

I definitely want to pick up on of those heavy barrel Howa rifles. Seems like those guns really do shoot really tight. Of course I am really happy with how my 22" barrel version shoots. It is very easy to shoot sub 1" groups with this rifle.

Comment

• Taz575
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

I want to get the CZ 527 MTR in 6.5 Grendel for bench shooting and have my Howa 1500 for Hunting! I have a 527 Lux in .223 and it's a sweet rifle. I am debating getting one of the Carbines in 7.62x39 and rebarreling for 6.5 Grendel. The CZ Varmit and American have barrels that are pretty long for me for hunting, but nice for bench shooting. The Howa 1500 20" HB is a sweet handling rifle!

Comment

• robertWperret
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2018

I currently own three CZ 527s. A .204 Varmint, 7.62x39 carbine, and a 6.5 Grendel Varmint. All of them are shooters. The .204 will touch 5 bullets at 100 yards if it isn't windy and I do my part. Even the 7.62x39 will consistently shoot under an inch at 100 yards with 123 grain Hornady .310 dia bullets. The 6.5 Grendel Varmint is new and I have less than 150 rounds through it but I have quite a few 1/2 inch groups with 120SMKs and IMR 8208 XBR powder. You can't beat the set trigger on the CZ 527s especially if shooting off hand. My best 5 shot 200 yard group with the 6.5 Grendel is 5/8 in. I do not own any of the Howas but have tried a few and it seems the triggers on them are not as good as the CZs. My Opinion. I am also hearing through the grapevine that CZ may stop putting the set triggers on the 527s as a cost saving measure so if you want one buy one soon. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X