• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ripcord
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

Installing Mag Release Into DIP Bottom Metal

Help!! Finally getting around to swap out my plastic bottom for the DIP bottom metal. I am having one !@#$%^& of a time installing the mag catch. Any help with hints and shortcuts will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Trim up a length of qtip stick to hold the spring in place in the mag release and then drive the pin in with a punch and that will drive out the qtip stick.

Comment

• Yama
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2018

Yup, as per the instructions, I used a tooth pick; worked like a charm! Don't forget some blue thread locker on that set screw.

Comment

• cwlongshot
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

Absolutely, you MUST have& use a slave pin!

I used a cut off drill bit sized just under diameter of the hole and ends chamfered. Still not a walk in the park, but much better!

Good luck,

CW

Comment

• Yama
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2018

Tools needed:
          Purple LocTite(222) or Vibra-Tite(111) Low Strength
          T30 TORX bit(for action screws)

When installing the magazine catch and spring, cut a tooth pick so it is the same width as the catch and use it to hold the spring onto the catch while installing them into the trigger guard/mag well.

Per DIP's website, does the trick.

Comment

• legaleagle47
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2019

I understand the slave pin idea; however, I have not seen any explanation of how you hold the mag release and spring under compression and then slide that assembly into the trigger guard before you can insert the slave pin, right? The long leg of the spring must be compressed against the front part of the trigger guard, correct? So, how does one hold that compressed spring in place w/o it popping out of the mag release lever before you can insert the slave pin? I'm sure I'm missing some essential but easy step. I'm not a machinist or gunsmith either. Thanks for any tips.
            KS
            E

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
              Warrior
              • Sep 2018

Put the spring into the magazine release and then install the slave pin to hold the two parts together. The slave pin should be no longer than the magazine lever is thick and the spring will not be in compression.

Slide the assembly into the magwell, as you put tension on the spring the slave pin will hold the spring in place in the lever.

Push the lever and spring into place until the hole lines up, then push the factory pin through the hole pushing the slave pin out the other side.

Comment

• Bearcat74
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2019

I used a lot of bad words. Finally I either said enough or the correct combo and got it all put together.

Comment

• legaleagle47
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2019

Thank you HokeyPokeyKid...you are the man! I obviously missed the instruction about the length of the slave pin[/U]

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by legaleagle47 View Post
                    Thank you HokeyPokeyKid...you are the man! I obviously missed the instruction about the length of the slave pin[/U]
                    No problem, glad to help.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Bearcat74 View Post
                      I used a lot of bad words. Finally I either said enough or the correct combo and got it all put together.
                      And without a slave pin... sometimes the challenge is fun because it's long past bed time, and your kid's birthday is being celebrated in the morning. No time for thinking, get it done or fail. I chose the first. Grunt and bear it, stupidity in spades...
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                        And without a slave pin... sometimes the challenge is fun because it's long past bed time, and your kid's birthday is being celebrated in the morning. No time for thinking, get it done or fail. I chose the first. Grunt and bear it, stupidity in spades...
                        Like we say out in the GOM. Put your purse down and hit that thing with a hammer lmao.

Comment

• Fess
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Bearcat74 View Post
                          It has always seemed to me that bad words are required for some projects. My Dad didn't cuss, and for the life of me I can't figure out how he ever got things fixed!

Comment

• Bearcat74
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                            It has always seemed to me that bad words are required for some projects. My Dad didn't cuss, and for the life of me I can't figure out how he ever got things fixed!

If he would have tried to put the mag release in the DIP bottom metal late one night he might have found the words.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by ripcord View Post
                              Help!! Finally getting around to swap out my plastic bottom for the DIP bottom metal. I am having one !@#$%^& of a time installing the mag catch. Any help with hints and shortcuts will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all.
                              I had DIP assemble my bottom metal & mag release for me. No charge.

Comment

Working...
                              X