Howa Mini action mag mod problem...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • se3388
    Warrior
    • Sep 2011

Howa Mini action mag mod problem...........

I know this is a 6.5 Grendel forum but I need help on the same gun but in 7.62 x 39, I did the Howa Mini mag mod and it looks and fits great but I now have an ejection problem. It functioned perfect in stock configuration.
    The mag now holds 4 rounds, when cycling them through the action it will extract but it looks like the head of the case gets stuck on the next round in the mag with round 4 and round 3. The last two rounds will eject normally, does this point to too much mag spring pressure? I clipped 1.5 coils off the mag spring.

Steve..........
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

My 6.5 grendel mini does that if I try to run the bolt very slow on my newest mag.

The mag that came with it dud it too after a lil while it stopped but my new does this.

If I run it fast it's fine. Both my mags are still stock haven't shortened them up yet.

Try running the bolt fast and see what it does.

Comment

• se3388
      Warrior
      • Sep 2011

Just double checked it and it doesn't matter if you work the action fast or slow on 4 rounds in the mag the first 2 will hang up like in the pic's but the last 2 rounds will eject perfectly whether cycled slow or fast. I'm thinking it might have to do with the mag spring.

Steve........
      Last edited by se3388; 01-16-2019, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

That or shim out your bottom plate. Mag may be getting inserted too deep. How much clearance between your bolt and the fee lips?
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Sputnik
          Warrior
          • May 2013

+1 for Sticks. Be careful not to shim it too much or you may have feeding issues.

Comment

• se3388
            Warrior
            • Sep 2011

I didn't change the locking notch so the mag isn't seating any deeper, the bolt isn't contacting the feed lips at all, looks to be seating as deep as it before. Is there a thread showing shimming the floor plate?

Steve..............

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

First thing to check is that you are torquing the action screws down properly. The inletting of the factory LSI stock is wrong at the rear action screw. It is too deep and should be bedded with a little bit of epoxy. Loosen up both screws. Snug the front action screw then the rear action screw. Then torque the front action screw. After that try cycling your dummy rounds. My guess is that your bottom metal is going too far up into the rear inlet.

If that doesn't work pull the action out of the stock and make some "pillars". You can use anything like 1/4" tubing or even a stack of 1/4" washers. Assemble the action and the bottom metal outside of the stock with the temporary pillars. You should be able to fine tune the spacing required to get the proper feeding. Once you know what that measurement is, you should be able to shim the stock to the correct height.
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
                +1 for Sticks. Be careful not to shim it too much or you may have feeding issues.
                Agree with Sputnik. Had this problem and had to do some extra work I caused. Bought the bottom metal from can't remember who on here and have a winter project of pillar bedding and devecon 10110 pretty soon.

Comment

• se3388
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2011

I never took the action out of the stock so I'm sure it wasn't to do with the torque. What I did do was to take off the "bottom metal" lay on a .058 thick washer on each pillar and installed the floorplate. It seemed to fix it at least for now. Are all the factory stocks pillar bedded, mine is the green one.

Steve .............

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

All the factory LSI mini-action stocks are pillar bedded that I have seen. The rear inletting being too deep (and the wrong angle) is a known issue for those stocks. The factory bottom plastic simply bends to conform, and will often crack as a result. Your new aluminum bottom metal doesn't bend near as much. My guess is that you tightened the rear screw first, then the front screw. This allowed the mag well to go in too deep at the rear.
                    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                    X