• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sarky
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

AR Bolt action

Has anyone done an AR bolt action? ie no gas block with manual racking of the bolt.
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

It's been talked about before. Some have tried it using a side charging upper, but you have no primary extraction. This can make it difficult to work the action (like really hard).
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I think bj139 has such a rig. In his state no AR hunting allowed for big game.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I have a side charge upper I planning a build for. I have heard that if you keep the gas block and leave it very slightly open, just enough to help with unlocking the bolt, it will make pulling the bolt back easier. I have tried the side charge with gas block turned completely off and it was a bear to extract the cartridge. Haqven't tried the partial open GB though....

Comment

• LtDan
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

I have 5 of them now in 223, 762/39, Grendel, and Valkyrie of course I live in Commiefornia.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Mossberg pump action is another option.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Dzeek
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2018

I just built a side charge using a gibbz side charge. Gas block on backwards, no gas tube. Jp supermatch barrel and bolt. No issueswith extraction. I added gibbz extended charge handle for better grip, works great.

Comment

• SightedIn
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Its been covered on here many times. Yes it is possible and yes it does work(with side chargers only), but dont go buying parts to make it happen. If you have an existing AR you want to modify, or if you have parts laying around then go for it, but otherwise buy a Howa.

Comment

Working...
                X