• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwlongshot
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by klr View Post
    I guess it's too late now, but did you check to see if the bolt hits the magazine when the bottom metal is contacting the action? With the factory plastic bottom the magazine is too high when the bottom is tightened to touch the action.

Not specifically. But I snapped some pics with and without pillars before install.

I popped the action out this AM. Nearly perfect and looks like I even managed a recoil lub bed!!

Pics once I upload them.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-04-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• cwlongshot
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

I need to dress these up just a little bit, but they really came out great. Plus I got the recoil mostly bedded without trying!! I wanted to test again before the recoil lub bedding... OOH well. Its not likely to have been a negative anyhow!

Action side:

Bottom metal here:

I had just a bit of chip out, from drilling and the JB filled everything in beautifully.

CW

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        Thanks. I've got one inbound. Also the howa will be getting an adjustable cheek riser, plus when I take the action out for that I will be opening up the barrel channel a bit along the left side. I've already put in the Aussie trigger springs, I like the pull much better now.
        Received my tactical bolt handle. Mine is a pretty loose fit for some reason, I may have to "bed" it somehow to make it work.
        I'm reviewing the situation...
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Received my tactical bolt handle. Mine is a pretty loose fit for some reason, I may have to "bed" it somehow to make it work.
          I'm reviewing the situation...
          Gray try some tevlon tape on the threads to take up the slop and make it a tighter fit.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

The slop is between the tactical knob and the original handle-knob, even when all the way tightened down... they do say on their site that there might be some looseness depending on the particular dimensions of your handle (they include a couple of rubber bands to fix that -- LOL!)... that's why I'm thinking of using some filler material to fill in the void. For now I have some black duck tape in spots to take up some room.

Comment

• cwlongshot
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

The slop is between the tactical knob and the original handle-knob, even when all the way tightened down... they do say on their site that there might be some looseness depending on the particular dimensions of your handle (they include a couple of rubber bands to fix that -- LOL!)... that's why I'm thinking of using some filler material to fill in the void. For now I have some black duck tape in spots to take up some room.
              Just bed it. That's what I did. You can use lock tite green or small amount of epoxy. Spray Bolt with could coats of case lube or PAM first.

You can tru a wide rubber band inside. it worked for me. But I didn't like the "squishy" feel it produced.

I'm hitting the range this Sunday afternoon for another accuracy test for the lil G. I dont really expect much improvements, but for consistency. (Shoots pretty well now)

CW

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Oh ok I see know. I was thinking it was some how a thread on peice. Never really looked at my bolt handle close enough till now.

Seems cool might have to pick me one up as well.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

It's a clam-shell design with 2 threaded allen screws that hold the 2 pcs together. The clam-shells have a hollow that fits the bolt-knob and up onto the bolt handle a little ways. Not bad really - I found it on Amazon, too.
                  CW, good to know I'm not the only one!

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Don'f forget release agent on your threads as well. Great if it does not stick to the bolt, but worthless if you can't get it off again.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

good point, yeah I did think of that. think I'll put some vaseline down into those dinky holes...

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Project finished.
                        I added a "Matthew's kydex" variable cheek riser, and epoxied the new tactical bolt handle.
                        I added the riser b/c I am swapping some scopes around and they have different line of sight heights...
                        so I'm covered no matter what.

Will take it out for a spin Sun or Mon.
                        Thanks guys for all the help.

howa-now-1.jpg

howa-now-2.jpg

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Project finished.
                          I added a "Matthew's kydex" variable cheek riser, and epoxied the new tactical bolt handle.
                          I added the riser b/c I am swapping some scopes around and they have different line of sight heights...
                          so I'm covered no matter what.

Will take it out for a spin Sun or Mon.
                          Thanks guys for all the help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13653[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13654[/ATTACH]
                          I like it. Probably will do the same too mine as well. The 20moa rail kicks the eye end of the scope up just enough that it sometimes bothers me. Just kind of depends on how well my position has been built up.

A lol more check hieght would be just the ticket.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

I'm gonna have to look into those bolt knobs.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2018

Well my rifle SHOOTS!!

Some intresting results.

OK so last weekend after shooting above target. I pillar bedded and releaved the barrel channel in the Boyds stock.

As you read above the pillars where pretty much as expected. But the barrel channel was quite a bit out of square with action. It appeared to be just the tip. But as I releaved the tip, the mid made contact then the barrel shank. I decided to leave much of the shank/chamber area but floated the rest of the entire barrel.

First five shots @ 10 yards where much looser then shots made BEFORE bedding!!!

I brought two more loads that shot very well before the stock change. First was RL15 & a 130 SGK HPBT. This load still shot sub MOA. The second was the 120 Gold Dot I hunted with last year. I shot a few 1/4 MOA loads with it. Its AR-Comp stiff loading, and a 120G GD bullet. Now it shoots a loose 1MOA.

I also brought a ladder loading with a 120 Pro Hunter on top of Benchmark loads from 26 thru nearly 28g. 27 shot about 1/2 MOA!!

In closing, Im supper happy with this stock and how it makes my rifle a better shooter.

CW
                              Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-06-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• CazadorBob
                                Bloodstained
                                • Nov 2018

That looks like a great build. You are giving me some ideas...May I ask what the complete finished weight is?

Comment

Working...
                                X