• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Who here has done a suppressed bolt action 6.5 Grendel

Looking for Ideas or shared experience with those who have done a suppressed bolt action 6.5 Grendel. Been wanting to do this for to long now. May end up doing a short and a longer barrel before all is said and done. don't expect I will spend a lot of time punching paper this will be primarily for hunting say 200 yards and in.

Was just reading a post where an avid Prairie dog hunter had a number of custom rifles built up in .172" and .204" calibers. What surprised me was the weight of his rifles. Think he mentioned 10.5 lbs on average.

So I am interested in your surpressed rifle experiences for both custom and factory rifles.

What barrel length are you working with.

Please share overall weight of your rig.

What suppressor did you decide on.

& anything else you care to share from actual experience to your wish list.
  • Greg Skinner
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2016

I have a Ruger American that I shoot suppressed. It is not a lightweight rifle. I think I would have preferred something like a light profile 18 or 19 inch barrel as opposed to the medium profile factory 24" ( it actually measures closer to 23"). There is probably enough meat on the barrel that it could be shortened and re-threaded, but I have not gone that route - yet. Not sure how much that would reduce the weight - mainly it would shorten it and make carrying and handling better. It shoots so well, though, that I hate to risk messing it up. I have a 5-20 SWFA scope on it, which contributes to the overall weight, which is 9.7 lb without mag or suppressor. Add the Gem-Tech Tracker suppressor and it is 10.4 lb. I also have a Gem-Tech 300 Win Mag which is slightly heavier, but I mostly use it when I'm testing loads on the bench. If your eyes are good, you can get a smaller, lighter scope to reduce some weight, but I find I do better with more magnification, rather than less. I have SWFA 3 - 15 scopes on all my AR Grendels, and that seems to be a good compromise.

I also have a Kimber Montana that I had converted to 6.5 G, and it is lighter at 7.5 lb. But the barrel is too thin at the muzzle to thread, so I don't shoot it very much.

Overall I really like shooting suppressed, even at super-sonic velocities. With the longer barrel it sounds about like the crack of a 22 Long Rifle. Where I hunt it is pretty open, so the extra length is not really a big deal. If all your hunting is within 200 yards I would probably go with an 18" barrel for handiness and maneuverability. I don't think you will lose enough velocity to matter. The Tracker weighs 0.7 lb, and is not rated for full-auto fire, but works very well for hunting, where no more than 3 or 4 shots at a time will be fired.

Comment

• Javman
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

Have a RAP and tried my friends titanium thunder beast and it sure makes a difference in comparison to a steel suppressor as far as balance is concerned. Doesn't feel muzzle heavy with the titanium one.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

I move my Omega 30 around to each rifle, including my 20" Howa HB. Shoots fine, POI change as expected.

Rifle is in an MDT chassis, and comes in at 13+/- lbs w/o the suppressor. I shoot prone or off a tripod, not moving around so much, so balance and whatnot I can not comment on.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Nodak
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

I have Howa 20"HB with MDT LSS chassis and use a titanium Crux Saxon 6.5 suppressor. I need to weight it but it's easy to carry all day. I use a 4-20x50 Sightron S-Tac scope with Weaver 6-hole Tactical picatinny rings. Very easy on the ears

Comment

• tango29
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
            Looking for Ideas or shared experience with those who have done a suppressed bolt action 6.5 Grendel. Been wanting to do this for to long now. May end up doing a short and a longer barrel before all is said and done. don't expect I will spend a lot of time punching paper this will be primarily for hunting say 200 yards and in.

Was just reading a post where an avid Prairie dog hunter had a number of custom rifles built up in .172" and .204" calibers. What surprised me was the weight of his rifles. Think he mentioned 10.5 lbs on average.

So I am interested in your surpressed rifle experiences for both custom and factory rifles.

What barrel length are you working with.

Please share overall weight of your rig.

What suppressor did you decide on.

& anything else you care to share from actual experience to your wish list.
            I have a Savage Model 10 7.62x39 I converted to 6.5 Grendel with a 26 Inch Bartlein 5R barrel and a TBAC 6.5 7 Inch supressor.
            It shoots lights out and is very quiet. Great on coyote, deer, and elk. Have used in the mountains of New Mexico and the hill country of Texas.

Comment

Working...
            X