• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GLShooter
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

6.5 g rap bolt

I just purchased one of the 6.5 Grendel RAP's to wring out. I was cleaning it and getting an overall impression. I looked at the bolt and it didn't look all that deep. Mine is 0.125 deep the same as my other various bolt guns. Why would they do that in a bolt gun when the AR Grendel I have is deeper by design?

Greg
    Last edited by GLShooter; 02-22-2019, 06:33 PM.
  • LtDan
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

Have you measured your chamber yet? I think that the .135 Bolt in the Grendel was for the semi auto reliability for extraction. I wonder what the Howa Bolt Depth is?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LtDan View Post
      Have you measured your chamber yet? I think that the .135 Bolt in the Grendel was for the semi auto reliability for extraction. I wonder what the Howa Bolt Depth is?
      Good question stand by for measurement.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Mine is .116 bolt face depth. Not real sure what too think about that.

Think I will be putting this gun on the do not shoot list and contacting legacy monday. That just seems way short.

Might have something too do with why I have too run my bolt very fast to get proper ejection.

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Mine is .116 bolt face depth. Not real sure what too think about that.

Think I will be putting this gun on the do not shoot list and contacting legacy monday. That just seems way short.

Might have something too do with why I have too run my bolt very fast to get proper ejection.
          I just measured mine and it's exactly the same depth as your .116 deep. I have no issues with extraction or ejection.

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

I’m goin get me some cracklings and whiskey
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by HokeyPokeyKid View Post
              I just measured mine and it's exactly the same depth as your .116 deep. I have no issues with extraction or ejection.
              I just finished giving mine a good scrubbing too see if any gunk was throwing off the measurement. I'm getting .120 now.

Comment

• GLShooter
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LtDan View Post
                Shoots Grendel factory and comes out looking like fired Grendel. Shoulder is in the right place so they ran the reamer in the correct amount on the Ruger.

Greg

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Just heard back from legacy each rifle and bolt is headspaced together so there is no standard for bolt face depth like in a ar grendel or 264lbc ar15.

Carry on sorry for the sidetrack lol.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Just heard back from legacy each rifle and bolt is headspaced together so there is no standard for bolt face depth like in a ar grendel or 264lbc ar15.

hmmm. kinda stinks for replaceable parts... if they were ever needed...
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      hmmm. kinda stinks for replaceable parts... if they were ever needed...
                      Yes it does. That is check mark 2 of 3 in my book. It ain't looking good for the mini now.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Quite a few bolt actions are that way. I have a couple older bolt actions that are control round feed with a flat bolt face no recess at all. They shoot fine. As long as chamber matches it will be god. I would bet all the CZ 527s that were converted to Grendel and the newer factory ones are not .136 either.

AR you have a scenario where many ut the rifles together themselves and a standardized bot face keeps thins working right.

Comment

• Msalm
                          Warrior
                          • May 2018

Last edited by Msalm; 02-23-2019, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• ricsmall
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

Msalm hit the nail on the head on the Howa. More supported case in chamber. Winchester used to be the same with the timed threads. Not sure if they still are. Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about the bolt face depth on a bolt gun. I would also bet that most all of the bolts in the mini action Grendel’s are interchangeable as far as headspace goes. Completely different than an AR. Bolt face depth in Grendel is critical because of the correct extractor design. There are other considerations as well but that is the most critical
                            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2019

As a recently newer owner of the Howa Mini Grendel 20" #6 contour threaded barreled action from Brownell's....I can say you should buy with confidence. I was unsure of what to expect from my experience and have been nothing but pleased to date. I think the hardest part on deciding was the low amount of stock options available. I ended up with a Boyd's Thumbhole At- One since it feels like a nice hybrid of chassis and hunter capable stock ( which this rifle is built as Hog and deer rifle with some mid range target to boot : 300-800) I found my hunting load very quickly which was a nice surprise and working on my backup hunting before moving on to my target load. It shoots the Hornady Black very well and the SST factory loads also well within my expectations for hunting loads ( 1MOA or less at 200 yds) so I can grab a box in a pinch but the 129 Interlocks flying at a modest 2200 FPS with a very moderate charge of XBR is good out to 200 and is just ludicrous for accuracy. If I recall expansion is 1800fps for them so that's all she wrote for those but it already has harvested a deer and 3 hogs with bang flop results. If I can get these Custom Comp 123s from Nosler to shoot I will be set for range fun as well. RAPs look great as well from what I am seeing. Buddy is using his in much the same way and he likes the slightly longer barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X