• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rookie7
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

One more ? before I buy the Howa

Good morning,

The primary purpose for this rifle will be for whitetail deer hunting. It will be my daughter's primary rifle (she will be 12 by the time the season opens).

This rifle is replacing a Ruger American Ranch in 300 blackout.

My first thoughts were to buy the BA from Brownell's and then buy a Boyd's or the B&C stock.

However, this is my first Howa mini, this is my first 6.5 grendel. I'm thinking now why not just go the safe and easy route, and buy the whole rifle as is from the factory.

I kept the plastic stock on the Ruger to keep weight down for her, but I did add epoxy to the forearm and free float it.

I am asking for confirmation or rejection on the idea that the Hogue stock that comes on the mini will be just fine for deer hunting. My thoughts are sure it will, but I am asking you all because you have experience with it and I do not.

Side note: I will purchase dies and roll my own.

Thank you
  • HokeyPokeyKid
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

One of my Howa's still wears the original plastic stock and it's just fine. I wouldn't worry at all about hunting with a factory stocked rifle.

There are people still using their factory stocked rifle's with the plastic trigger guard and are very happy with the results.

Comment

• Mac7
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2017

My daughter shoots a factory Howa mini youth. Has been working well for her, 2 deer and an elk so far.

Comment

• Chipj4
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2018

I had a hard time convincing myself to buy the B&C because the factory stock does seem like it is pretty good for being polymer. It does have aluminium pillars and after some light sanding the barrel is free floating. I did get the DIP bottom metal and mag catch and to me it was a nice upgrade. The DBM was functionally unnecessary however, I would recommend the mag catch because I did find it too easy to accidentally release the mag with the original. Some people are just shortening the factory catch which is reported to work OK too. Ultimately I went with the B&C stock because I primarily target shoot for groups and wanted the possibility for a slight gain in accuracy. I also want the ability to use a bi-pod without worrying about for-end flex. Also, less importantly, the green and black color scheme just looks damn good.

Comment

• TXCrow
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2019

Run it. I'd put money on it being well under MODeer. ideal? no. functional? Yes, especially if you bed it.

Factory stocks(as long as they clear the barrel) Work out great 9/10. My savage 12fv 6.5cm has the cheapest of the cheap plastic on it and will hold 3/4moa at 400y.

Comment

• rookie7
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2018

I appreciate the responses so far.

Thank you

Comment

• Chipj4
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2018

I forgot to mention that I think you still may be able to get the package with the Nikko Stirling Panamax 3-9X40 scope. I did not realize what I ordered came with it till I picked up the rifle from the dealer. I was pleasantly surprised how nice the scope was for being an add-on. The glass it a good bit clearer than the 3-9X40 Vortex Crossfire I have. Definitely serviceable for deer hunting I would think.

Comment

• klr
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

It will be just fine. You can sand down the grip and fore end to make it lighter and easier to hold for small hands if you want.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

The plastic stock is not made by Hogue for mini-actions, it's a different manufacture. They do well if you don't try to support it near the front, such as with a bi-pod. If I supported mine near the action screw is was MOA. If I supported it out on a bi-pod it wasn't even minute of deer. That is what drove me to get the Boyd's At-One stock. I have two now and one is for sale.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• rookie7
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2018

Ordered one today. We will give it a go with the factory stock.

Depending on how much I like the Howa a B&C will be in its future.

She shot the Ruger very well. It has one major flaw - the handle can be bumped out of battery too easily.

I like the 3 position safety the Howa has.

Comment

• Chipj4
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2018

That's a nice looking pattern on the Boyd's, Is that the forest camo?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Chipj4 View Post
                        That's a nice looking pattern on the Boyd's, Is that the forest camo?
                        It's the forest Camo Ripple. They offered it for a short time. I'm not sure if they offer it every so often or if it was a once only type of deal.
                        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2019

The Boyds option for the Howa mini action is great and I put it on mine ( it serves the same purpose as yours will...hunting rifle) I think the best reason if you do decide to put it in the At one stock ( thumbhole or regular) is that it will grow with your daughter and also be useable across any other family member or friend that shoots it. The adjustable features makes it the perfect fit in just a few short pushes and adjustments. Loving mine and it has already scored high praises and harvested the lions share of meat this past season.

Comment

• Bearcat74
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2019

My Howa is still in the factory stock and it shoots excellent. I shot great out to 600 prone with a bipod. You’ll have no trouble deer hunting with it.

Comment

• TropicalVibe
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2015

I have not shot any long guns in a year and a half. Went out with my fully stock Howa today, and after 6 warm up/zero check shots, proceeded to hit 3 out of 3 golf balls laying on the berm 100Y. Sure wish I could hit a golf ball with my clubs with that consistency.

I would have no reservations with the Howa stock for hunting.Grendel Golf Up 2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X