• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armadillo66
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Rem 700V conversion project

Many years ago when my dad was 75, I gave him a Rem 700V in .223. I found it in beat up shape at a farm auction in northern Missouri. Rode around in a farm truck rifle rack, but looked like a real low round count in the barrel and action. It has a 1:12 twist so not too good with anything over 50gr bullets. I redid the stock, removed all the Rem clear finish that was pretty beat up, resculpted the forearm to more like a Win model 70 featherweight look. Inletted and glass bedding kit from Brownell's and some of their Tung oil finish. It shoots fair with Winchester 55gr white box. He has never shot it much.
    I was thinking about rebarreling it to Grendel. It has a .223 boltface on the stock bolt. Should I have the stock bolt recut to fit the Grendel base or should I go with a .308 short action bolt? Is there a company that makes 6.5 Grendel bolts for a Rem 700?
    I was thinking that the short action in a Hogue overmolded rubber stock and a 18" barrel would make it a lot like a CZ.
    Problem is, I am figuring that the cost of the rebarrel and bolt would make it cheaper to just buy a Ruger American or a CZ.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

You can get a rem700 bolt from ptg that fits the grendel case or you can have the bolt opened by a good gunsmith.

The 308 boltheads wont work.

Comment

• Chev2500
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2018

Borden has been selling their PPC actions with a .480 bolt face for years. I have a 700 in 6mm PPC with a 308 bolt with over 4000 rounds through it with no issues. If the factory extractor doesn't work you can have a m16 ext. installed

Comment

• flyrod
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Armadillo66 View Post
        Problem is, I am figuring that the cost of the rebarrel and bolt would make it cheaper to just buy a Ruger American or a CZ.
        Yes, there are cheaper options. But if the rifle/project has sentimental value or you simply enjoy the build process then price is less of a factor, right? You can open up the bolt face, replace the bolt, rebarrel it, etc. There are options for all of that. You could even just swap the barrel to a tighter twist 223, or maybe 22 Nosler. There are many possibilities for tuning up an old R700. I would stay away from PTG; if you search on them you'll quickly see why.

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

PT&G bolts are well made and good to go. You can however have your current bolt face opened up and have a mini M16 extractor installed while you’re at it. There are a few threads on here with details on mag modifications for 700.
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• flyrod
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            PT&G bolts are well made and good to go.
            A friend of mine ordered a complete 2-piece bolt from PTG. After a long delay, it arrived and was actually the correct part. However, the profile of the bolt handle was not a good fit to the rear of the remington receiver. That was modified, timed and welded to the bolt body. After 30 rounds the bolt would not close. Upon inspection the tip of the firing pin had broken off and was sitting in the chamber. Disassembly of the firing pin was very difficult, and after the application of a bigger hammer it turned out the the cross pin in the cocking piece had broken in half and the holes had been damaged by the angled halves of the pin. It also turned out that the steel part of the pin was loose on the aluminum shoulder. These were all PTG parts. Next came the fun of dealing with PTG customer service. I was witness to this first hand. I've also heard from reputable 'smiths that the PTG bolts are too soft. As I said, you can do a quick search and find a lot of stories like this. The moral of the story: avoid PTG.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

flyrod

That’s unfortunate as all the PT&G bolts and FP assemblies I’ve used worked flawlessly. Long wait? You bet there’s a long wait. I have had a few hiccups with their CS, but all the reamers, bolts, bottom metal, magazines, range rods, tooling and gauges have worked great. I do use Manson for all my reamers now because they usually have in stock and are great quality. There used to be a time when I could talk to kiff about what I wanted, not anymore. I can almost always get Dave Manson on the line, if not, he will call back shortly. All that said, if Manson made bolts, I’d buy his
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
              X