Stolle Panda 6.5 Grendel Prone Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolle Panda 6.5 Grendel Prone Rifle

This is a rifle I built a few years ago to compete in a local prone match with some very stiff competition. This match is shot at 100 yards so external ballistics are not critical, so I decided to use a slow twist for short, light, flat based bullets, it is a 1:12" Krieger.

The Stolle Panda action is an aluminum, flat bottomed design to increase the bedding surface area and rigidity. It uses a cone faced bolt and has a very fast lock time. It also has an integral scope rail eliminating one more source of movement or misalignment.

The trigger is a Timney 2 oz bench rest trigger. I actually shoot a two stage trigger better than a single stage but this is a good single stage trigger.

The Stock is a McMillan prone stock in the Anshutz profile and has a fully adjustable cheek piece and butt plate, which are both critical to optimum accuracy when shot from other than a bench rest.

The scope is a Leupold 36X bench rest scope that I already had laying around, it is not a good choice unless you have a somewhat refined prone position. Most people find something around 20X to be more conducive to prone shooting.

Finally, it has more than necessary accuracy as is evidenced by the first ten shot group, pictured here, with absolutely no load development.

Bob

See post #9 for the remaining pictures.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2012, 04:32 PM.

purdy!

Comment

Very nice, any success competing?

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Bob built this rifle for one purpose, and he hasn't accomplished that quite yet! I wish he would, because I want to buy the rifle eventually, and he won't sell until he does! To give you an idea, last match he shot 34X to lose to 500-45X! One of Bob's relays was a 100-10X, so I'm assuming the relays were 5 relays of 10 shots each.

That's serious shooting!

Comment

I'm dreaming of a 6.5 Grendel / 6BR switch barrel on a Stiller Viper drop port action, or the Panda right bolt, left port, right mini ejector port. I think the 6.5 Grendel could have the potential of the 30BR in a properly set up bench gun? Slow twist, light flat base bullet, bigger hole could be good in a score game like you're proving. Sweet rig you have there, and congrats on treading new ground to see what is possible.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

That's a work of art!

Was the finish on the barrel done by bead blasting over the plastic mesh barrels come in?
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

You got it. We polished it then bead blasted it over the plastic mesh.
              Bob

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Nice touch. I've used the mesh for painting but not bead blasting. Now I need to buy another rifle...
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Some people couldn't see the pics so I put them in the post rather than a link but it would only take four so here are the other three.

Ten shot group, the first group shot fromt he rifle, 100 yards, from the bench.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot View Post
                    bigger hole could be good in a score game
                    Those were my thoughts exactly and it is turning out that way. The 100-10X score I shot would have been a 100-9x with a 6mm. I don't think I lost anything to accuracy over the 6mm PPC or 6mm BR. Of course I don't want to admit that the guy who keeps beeting me is shooting a .223. I need every advantage I can get.
                    Bob

Comment

That's what started the popularity of the 30BR in Varmint for Score, and people found out with good bullets it could match the PPC in group, and it nows holds the world record for a 100 yard agg. What bullets are you shooting? Are there truely good match bullets available in the short light 6.5's? .30's had them because of the development in Hunter BR. Ever think of trying the 30BR? More recoil though I suppose, which might be a good argument for the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Beautiful rifle Bob! I'm sure you'll beat him eventually!
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I'm shooting custom bench rest bullets made by Cauterucio, they are 81.5 grains and I'm shooting them right at 3,200 fps. They group in the high teens or low two's. It shoots the 95 grain V-max in the low two's also which is more than good enough for this style of competition.
                          I had considered the 30 BR but I'm pretty much a 6.5 kind of guy. To me it represents the optimum bullet diameter for a wide range of uses. I have several 30 cal rifles and a few .17, .224, .311, .375 and .458 rifles but my 6.5's are my favorites.
                          Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X