• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 308sako
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2019

Sako Single Shot 6.5 Grendel, a rebarreling

Started life as a .22 PPC, then was a 6 PPC, now a 6.5 Grendel thanks to Bill Wiseman. https://www.wisemanballistics.com/

Rifle has the Sako factory match trigger which is set extremely light, a varmint style stock, "glass bedded" and free floated. Some old Weaver bases to allow the QD mounts on the Leupold 3.5 X 10 duplex scope. Silencerco Omega suppressor on a QD mount.

Intriguingly I had sent Bill a box of factory Hornady 123 ELD-Match ammunition which he shot in the test tunnel. The ammunition was very inconsistent and the targets were to say the least erratic. Bill's suggestion was to load up some "good" ammunition and give it a try. So thanks to this forum and the numerous experienced posters off I went. Using the same bullet (123 ELD-M) and IMR 8208 XBR, and Benchmark the results show a great shooting rifle has been reborn.

Long live the Grendel!
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

I'll bet you will have a ton of fun with that rig!
    The wiseman link is interesting to me as it came up in a search I was doing on pressure barrels. I was wondering how much they cost and if it might be feasible to group fund someone in the forum to get pressure data for loads.
    Did you get the barrel from wiseman or did the just do the gunsmithing? Twist rate? cost?
    Most forum members like picture updates on load progress so thanks and keep em coming!

Comment

• 308sako
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
      I'll bet you will have a ton of fun with that rig!
      The wiseman link is interesting to me as it came up in a search I was doing on pressure barrels. I was wondering how much they cost and if it might be feasible to group fund someone in the forum to get pressure data for loads.
      Did you get the barrel from wiseman or did the just do the gunsmithing? Twist rate? cost?
      Most forum members like picture updates on load progress so thanks and keep em coming!
      The barrel was made by and chambered/fitted by Bill in College Station where his shop is located, well Bryan TX actually. Twist rate is a 1 in 8, button rifled and hand lapped. Cost is dependent upon your particular specifications, finish, threading, custom profile etc...

Regarding pressure barrels, it is not just the barrel that is expensive, the Universal receiver that they go into... $$$$$. Then of course there are the various methods of collecting the data, i.e., piezo or copper crusher. What I do know is that Bill will only fire factory ammunition in the shop. Insurance reasons I guess.

A friend of mine who has the wherewithal has procured the AR barrel test fixture which we hope to have up and running within 2 weeks. He is far more a Grendel freak than I am, so there should be some very interesting information forthcoming shortly.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Great looking Sako there! Looks like it is a great shooter. I hope you post your pressure test findings on this forum. Guys are really interested in AR-Comp but any data is beneficial.

Comment

• Six5x39
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

Nice custom build . I actually got to see 22 PPC for the first time at LGR , looked very accurate n fast

Comment

• Javman
            Warrior
            • Jan 2016

Bill is a heck of GS! Done a quite a few for my bud and all have been great rifles!

Comment

• flatland1
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2018

I've got a NIB Sako single shot 6PPC that a friend sold me out of an estate several years ago. No way was I going to take it apart to re-barrel in 6RAT, but I had considered watching GunBroker to try to find a Sake PPC repeater as the basis for a 6RAT. Then along came the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel...and my Sako is safe! Although, if money were no object, and I could find a less than perfect Sako PPC repeater, I'd still love to have one in 6RAT.... Your Sako in 6.5 Grendel is a classy rifle!

Comment

Working...
              X