• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j32degrees
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2016

Howa mini or Ruger American predator?

Likely going to pick up one or the other. Primary use targets out to 600 or so and secondary hunting pigs

Pros and cons of each? Interested in reliability, accuracy and aftermarket support
  • daved20319
    Warrior
    • May 2019

I looked at the RAP, felt cheap and cheesy, although apparently they can shoot. Went with a Howa heavy barreled action from Brownells's, then put it in a Boyd's Classic stock, still getting it sorted out, but it's a nice little shooter. That said, were I to do it again, and based on your primary use, I'd take a hard look at the CZ 527 MTR. I've got a SIG P-220 on consignment at a LGS, when/if it sells, an MTR will be headed my way. If it's as good as I think it will be, my Howa will be looking for a new home. Good luck!

Comment

• j32degrees
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by daved20319 View Post
      I looked at the RAP, felt cheap and cheesy, although apparently they can shoot. Went with a Howa heavy barreled action from Brownells's, then put it in a Boyd's Classic stock, still getting it sorted out, but it's a nice little shooter. That said, were I to do it again, and based on your primary use, I'd take a hard look at the CZ 527 MTR. I've got a SIG P-220 on consignment at a LGS, when/if it sells, an MTR will be headed my way. If it's as good as I think it will be, my Howa will be looking for a new home. Good luck!
      Haven't considered cz but will check it out. I have a 452 that is amazing

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Of the 2 you asked about. I would go howa hands down.

Comment

• j32degrees
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Of the 2 you asked about. I would go howa hands down.
          For what reasons?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by j32degrees View Post
            For what reasons?
            Ar15 mags have no place in a bolt action rifle. That's the main reason.

To many reports of sloppy mag fit and feeding problems and seen more the once that guys said the bolt travel wasn't smooth.

There is almost nothing in the way of aftermarket stocks when compared to the howa.

True the howa does need a few aftermarket parts too be the complete rifle it should be from the factory.

Also true the howa will probably cost more then the ruger once you figure in the cost of say a dip bottom metal and new style mag release.

But the howa has more stock options and is just a much smoother better constructed rifle.

I haven't fired the ruger but I have handled them before and I didn't like the feel of the bolt travel. The stock was flimsy as wet paper compared too a howa stock.

There is a flush fit mag conversion you can do for the howa, ain't going to get a flush fit mag on the ruger.

The howa has a 3 position saftey and locking bolt. The ruger does not have a locking bolt.

Flush fit mag and locked bolt is a big thing for me while hunting.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

Really wanted the new cz 527 grendel varmint model bit I'm just going to replace the factory 20 inch barrel on my howa with a custom 24 inch barrel. I want a lil bit more speed.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• j32degrees
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              Ar15 mags have no place in a bolt action rifle. That's the main reason.

To many reports of sloppy mag fit and feeding problems and seen more the once that guys said the bolt travel wasn't smooth.

There is almost nothing in the way of aftermarket stocks when compared to the howa.

True the howa does need a few aftermarket parts too be the complete rifle it should be from the factory.

Also true the howa will probably cost more then the ruger once you figure in the cost of say a dip bottom metal and new style mag release.

But the howa has more stock options and is just a much smoother better constructed rifle.

I haven't fired the ruger but I have handled them before and I didn't like the feel of the bolt travel. The stock was flimsy as wet paper compared too a howa stock.

There is a flush fit mag conversion you can do for the howa, ain't going to get a flush fit mag on the ruger.

The howa has a 3 position saftey and locking bolt. The ruger does not have a locking bolt.

Flush fit mag and locked bolt is a big thing for me while hunting.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

Really wanted the new cz 527 grendel varmint model bit I'm just going to replace the factory 20 inch barrel on my howa with a custom 24 inch barrel. I want a lil bit more speed.

Hope this helps sir.
              Very helpful. Thanks!!

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

I’ve got both and prefer the Howa over the Ruger. I don’t mind using AR mags in a bolt action but the Ruger just doesn’t feed as reliably as the Howa. Period. Either gun is just as accurate as the other but, the Howa gets the nod because of its superior feeding.

Having said that, the Howa’s original mag latch is a lousy design and needs to upgraded IMO. Think it was another $150 for new bottom metal and latch. And, the Howa uses plastic mags also, which just don’t look and feel that robust. So far I haven’t had any problems with them but I just don’t get the feeelign they are going to last. So,that’s another another weak point of the Howa.

Given what I know now, I would strongly consider the CZ. All said and done, it’s cheaper than the Howa with upgrades, and comes with metal mags. I?ve got a CZ455 Varmint with 22LR and 17 HMR barrels and if the Grendel is half the gun that is, I’d be pleased.
                Last edited by Harpoon1; 09-10-2019, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I suggest you take a look at the new Cz in 6.5 Grendel with threaded barrel and synthetic stock or MTR. I have a Cz 527 American which I like but I’m not a fan of a 24” thin profile barrel on this size receiver. I would have preferred a 20” or 22” barrel but found the Cz 527 American for a great price. The barrel heats up pretty fast but it is still gtg.

If I had not found the Cz at a good price I’d probably ended up with a Howa.

Discontinued 2021. Perfect for use with a suppressor, this handy little 527 has a 16.5" barrel and is chambered in 223, 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39.
                  Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Robert8904
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2019

I vote for the Howa. It's been said Howa is a Remington 700 done right. The plastic bottom stuff is ok so long as you don't over torque the action screws.

Comment

• CJW
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

Howa or CZ over Ruger.

I have all three makes of rifles, do not ever shoot my Rugers, funky rings, funky triggers and funky stocks.

Howa’s are excellent as are CZ rifles.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2018

I agree with CJW, CZ or Howa over Ruger.

I have versions of all of these. I do like them all. But as stated a locking bolt is simply a requirement in a hunting bolt gun.

Accuracy is just great on all of them.

The CZ is a fine rifle nicest feeling and functioning of all. Steel magazine and fine craftsman ship.
                        Howa next its bolt is nice and smooth. Yea its got plastic proprietary mag. But it works and has been ZERO problems. Bottom metal and DIP mag release is a REQUIREMENT. FIRST, you cannot torque screws where they could be in a pillar bedded stock. (Its factory pillar bedded) the mag release SUKS! Its right where ya carry it one handed as you would be walking with it. Dumping the mag on the ground.

The Rugers AR magazine is ZERO PROBLEMS. ( I have two different using it) yea it wiggles and giggles. So it does in a AR! Stop with the silly complaints. It feeds its readily available and its cheaply acquired. It is NOT a problem. IF it dont feed well you have something else Going on causing issues. I also have a Ruger flush fit magazine and its been zero issues. Well thats a fib. I did have one that I TOOK APART. And it didnt work afterwards. I did fix it but broke tabs that hold it together. So now its not able to be disassembled. But works perfectly for now.

As stated the locking bolt is my concern. I need to have that.

My advice, handle all of these shoot them if you are able. I dont really feel you will be majorly disappointed in any if them.

Good luck!

CW

Comment

• j32degrees
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by cwlongshot View Post
                          I agree with CJW, CZ or Howa over Ruger.

I have versions of all of these. I do like them all. But as stated a locking bolt is simply a requirement in a hunting bolt gun.

Accuracy is just great on all of them.

The CZ is a fine rifle nicest feeling and functioning of all. Steel magazine and fine craftsman ship.
                          Howa next its bolt is nice and smooth. Yea its got plastic proprietary mag. But it works and has been ZERO problems. Bottom metal and DIP mag release is a REQUIREMENT. FIRST, you cannot torque screws where they could be in a pillar bedded stock. (Its factory pillar bedded) the mag release SUKS! Its right where ya carry it one handed as you would be walking with it. Dumping the mag on the ground.

The Rugers AR magazine is ZERO PROBLEMS. ( I have two different using it) yea it wiggles and giggles. So it does in a AR! Stop with the silly complaints. It feeds its readily available and its cheaply acquired. It is NOT a problem. IF it dont feed well you have something else Going on causing issues. I also have a Ruger flush fit magazine and its been zero issues. Well thats a fib. I did have one that I TOOK APART. And it didnt work afterwards. I did fix it but broke tabs that hold it together. So now its not able to be disassembled. But works perfectly for now.

As stated the locking bolt is my concern. I need to have that.

My advice, handle all of these shoot them if you are able. I dont really feel you will be majorly disappointed in any if them.

Good luck!

CW
                          Great response. Thanks to everyone for taking the time

Comment

• meta_gabbro
                            Unwashed
                            • Jul 2022

Reviving an ages-dead thread with a couple relevant updates that have cropped up on the scene since this discussion. In addition to the flush-fit internal magazine bottom metal mentioned previously, Jefferson Outdoors now makes a CZ-mag compatible bottom metal for the Howa, so you can ditch the proprietary plastic mags and the forward magazine release in favor of steel mags and a side-mounted mag release. However, with the discontinuation of the 527 I'm curious to see what happens to magazine supply. The aftermarket stock options still favor the Howa over the Ruger, but some notable additions are that the Magpul Hunter and Boyd's Hardwood stocks are now compatible with Rugers that feed from AR mags, and Indian Creek Designs has a compatible chassis as well.

Comment

• Billinthedesert
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2018

Thanks for reviving the thread with useful information, Meta. Are you by chance a geologist?

Comment

Working...
                              X