• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitdr774
    Warrior
    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
    All I can offer is I was able to talk myself out of buying a Howa 6.5 Grendel. How you ask, Pretty simple as I have been very fond of the CZ 527 Bolt action for some time now. Put together a CZwith a drop in 24" LW 1in 9 twist barrel a year or so before CZ made this chambering as a factory offering. Then when the factory offering came out I was one of the 1st to pick up a walnut stocked American.

I have both and so far my Howa far out shoots my 527. I'm thinking the 527 will be getting some bedding done on it this winter.

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

Picked up the barreled action. Ordered Wednesday and it was at my FFL on Friday. Can't ask for more than that. DIP bottom metal and B & C stock incoming. I posted in another thread a ? about Talley rings.

Looking at the ring/mount for the 700 short action. 20 MOA. Medium? Low? What ring height are you all using on your Howa?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
        Picked up the barreled action. Ordered Wednesday and it was at my FFL on Friday. Can't ask for more than that. DIP bottom metal and B & C stock incoming. I posted in another thread a ? about Talley rings.

Looking at the ring/mount for the 700 short action. 20 MOA. Medium? Low? What ring height are you all using on your Howa?
        I have burris meduim z rings sitting on my 20 moa outer impact rail.

Don't forget the new mag release with the DIP bottom metal, way better then the oem part.

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

If you’re running a small compact scope, the lows will work. I may have missed mention of optic being used.
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

A5... Yup. DIP bottom metal and mag release ordered. B & C stock shipped today. Tracking says Friday delivery.

Ric... Viper HS 2.5-10x44. At least initially. It's what I have on hand.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

I would go with the mediums with that scope. You might pull it off with the lows but it would be iffy.
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• JSH
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Robert8904 View Post
                I have a 20" HB 6.5 Grendel "rifle only" with the plastic stock. I bought it from Bud's. The stock is stiff enough and actually has aluminum pillars. The plastic bottom stuff is serviceable and will do ok if you don't over torque the screws beyond Howas' specs. Verify the scoped package rifle is actually a 20"HB since the package guns can have a 22" standard contour barrel. I put mine in an Oryx chassis. The accuracy didn't really change but it's easier to benchrest. I'd suggest the OP buy that packaged gun. That's not a bad price and the rifle could easily serve hunting and some target shooting as-is.
                Have you had any issues with magazines or feeding with the Oryx? I take it that the stock comes complete, or do you have to get mag latch from DIP or rob one from the factory stock?
                Jeff

Comment

• Robert8904
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by JSH View Post
                  Have you had any issues with magazines or feeding with the Oryx? I take it that the stock comes complete, or do you have to get mag latch from DIP or rob one from the factory stock?
                  Jeff
                  I've had no issues at all with the Oryx and feeding. It comes complete with a magazine catch. Just drop the barreled action in, tighten the two included action bolts and snap in the Howa magazine. That's it. There are two things to consider about the Oryx. It weighs a bit over four pounds, a positive for my use. I did need to use higher scope mounts to align the scope to my eye. I'm impressed with the Oryx.

Comment

• JSH
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2019

Can you get a cleaning rod in from the breach end ok?
                    Jeff

Comment

• Robert8904
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by JSH View Post
                      Can you get a cleaning rod in from the breach end ok?
                      Jeff
                      It's possible but I find it easier to remove the action and save my knuckles. Since it's just the two bolts and no bottom metal involved it's very quick to remove and reinstall. I find a barreled action alone is much easier and faster to clean anyway. I just clamp the barrel in a vise and get to cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                      X