X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Newbie Grendel question

In a bolt action rifle, is there any advantage in tightening up the neck diameter a little?
    How much clearance would be good?
    Thanks.
  • cwlongshot
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

The biggest way to improve accuracy is thru consistancy. Most anything one can do to improve that usually improves accuracy

Having said that, neck tension is a large percentage of an accurate load.

CW

Comment

Unwashed
      • Dec 2017

What I meant was chamber clearance.
      SAAMI spec chamber neck is .300". My loaded ammo is .289". Would there be any advantage to reducing the chamber neck clearance. Say .289" + .005"?
      Thanks.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I think you're messing with something that ought not to be messed with.
        As far as metal and steel dimensions go, Bill Alexander worked out what really works as proven by doubtless millions of rounds downrange.
        If you want to improve accuracy with a mechanical approach you need to concentrate on the barrel, high-quality machining like Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja or similar. Which, when you get one of those, you're also getting 1-on-1 quality machining of the barrel, chamber, grooves and lands etc. And on the barrel-to-action match-up, is it totally trued up and solid.
        I would leave the Saami chamber dimensions alone if I were you.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Unwashed
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
          I think you're messing with something that ought not to be messed with.
          As far as metal and steel dimensions go, Bill Alexander worked out what really works as proven by doubtless millions of rounds downrange.
          If you want to improve accuracy with a mechanical approach you need to concentrate on the barrel, high-quality machining like Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja or similar. Which, when you get one of those, you're also getting 1-on-1 quality machining of the barrel, chamber, grooves and lands etc. And on the barrel-to-action match-up, is it totally trued up and solid.
          I would leave the Saami chamber dimensions alone if I were you.
          Thank you for the reply.
          You have answered my question.

Comment

Working...
          X