Is there a too long barrel for the Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Second
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Is there a too long barrel for the Grendel?

I have a Krieger barrel sitting on another rifle in 6,5 Creedmoor.
    The barrel is a HV-contour and with a 8-twist.

The barrel is now almost 27" in this configuration.

I?m planning to take this barrel and turning it to a 6,5 Grendel and fit it to my Rem 700.
    I already have a 18,5" Jury Barrel in this gun, but thinking of putting the long Kreiger on.

Since the Kreiger now is 27" and needs to be changed to a Grendel the end about 25-26"-ich.

Is guess NO, but is there any problems for this?
    Is there a too long barrel for the Grendel in a bolt action?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I don't think 25 is to long. My CZ grendel has a 25.5 inch barrel from the factory.

Comment

• riuma
      Warrior
      • Jun 2018

My CZ American is 24.5 inches and it is not only elegant looking but delivers very good velocities. ~Riuma

Comment

• Second
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Ok!
        Yeah. Thought that it would work.

But have read somewhere that to long barrel is not good the Grendel.
        But maybe that is with the AR15 in mind.

I will use this long barrel on the range.
        The short one will be for hunting.

Plan is to get the most possible speed with the 140gr ELD-M.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

There are older threads with barrels out to at least 28 inches with good reports. Not sure when you get out there how much you get in extra fps but it will work

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

all my .308 bolt actions are 26in.I think you’ll be fine with 25 inches

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Bolt action the longest barrel I have is 27 inches on a Remington 700 short action chambered in 22-243. It works quite well and shoots .3 to .4 at 100 yards

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

Obviously roll with whatever brings you joy - but I'm kind of curious; if you're willing to go with such a long barrel; why not just run a 6.5 Creedmoor? The reason 6.5 Grendel is so interesting, is it's about the most pragmatically powerful and effective round that will fit in a small-frame standard AR15. It will also run in smaller .223 sized action bolt action guns. But if one is willing to go for a 25" length type of barrel... why not go for a larger frame and 6.5 Creedmoor?
                4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

After 31" the bullet starts to lose velocity through friction. I have a 31" F Class barrel, but it is attached to a more supportive action, and the whole gun comes in at 8kg (without rest/bipod).

The AR is a flimsy light-weight action and you wonder whether it will support a long barrel enough to realise its accuracy potential. You also wonder whether the decreasing incremental velocity is worth the length and weight of a long barrel. All in proportion to the platform.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I knew there was a point of diminishing returns, somewhere beyond 28" give or take, just couldn't recall what that point was... But Klem I believe Second usually does a bolt action, if so then the AR comment while true for the AR frame, may not apply here.
                    But yeah, if you want to go that long I would also suggest to look at the creedmoor.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

GF,

Let me amend my 31" peak, I remember reading this somewhere and thought it was from the Lilja website. Instead I find they do special orders in 6.5mm up to 44"! Quickload confirms the 44" simulation that velocity is still rising, although by the curve it is diminishing returns.
                      Here are the available rifle barrel caliber and twist rates we offer. There are also some helpful hints in choosing the correct caliber and twist rate.

QL curve

Comment

• Second
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Why not the 6,5 Creedmoor?
                        The barrel is in a Tikka T3X in this very caliber.

A long explanation perhaps, but the Grendel started in a project build from a Rem 700SA.
                        A light short Jury-barrel was fitted and the Grendel was really fun to shot and reload. But for hunting only was the initial plan.
                        Reloading is quick and the accuracy and precision is very good.

I like to shoot at longer ranges and the Grendel felt a little to small for +600meters.
                        It worked but there are better 6,5mm calibers. I used it at some shooting matches and I was far from the bottom.

After a mistake the already short Jury-barrel was cut even shorter and now the Grendel felt too small.
                        I decided to forget the Grendel as a shooting caliber and just use it for hunting and to be used by my kid at the range.

The 6,5mm Kriger-barrel that I had from a previous 6,5x55 was changed into a 6,5 Creedmoor. For shooting only.
                        This was fitted into a new Tikka T3X, threaded for a silencer, KRG Bravo, Spuhr and the Vortex PST, etc. Shooting was the plan. A load was tested and I have shot a few hundred rounds of the 6,5CM.
                        But no fun. Everyone start to have the 6,5CM and yes, it shoots very well, but no fun. The Grendel is still more fun, even with the short Jury-barrel.

And also. What distances have I REALLY shot at? Around 600 meters so far. I can shoot at longer ranges, but this might happen once a year, max. And at the distance that I normally shoot, 300 meters is the longest.
                        So, do I really need the 6,5 Creedmoor just for shooting? Or will the Krieger-barrel be better for shooting the Grendel?
                        Also, reloading the Grendel is very quick. Low usage in powder, and I can use the same powder in the Grendel as in my other caliber 8x57JS. The barrel will not wear as much with the Grendel as with the 6,5CM, less recoil, etc.

And one more thing. No one els I know have a Grendel

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Second View Post
                          Why not the 6,5 Creedmoor?
                          The barrel is in a Tikka T3X in this very caliber.

A long explanation perhaps, but the Grendel started in a project build from a Rem 700SA.
                          A light short Jury-barrel was fitted and the Grendel was really fun to shot and reload. But for hunting only was the initial plan.
                          Reloading is quick and the accuracy and precision is very good.

I like to shoot at longer ranges and the Grendel felt a little to small for +600meters.
                          It worked but there are better 6,5mm calibers. I used it at some shooting matches and I was far from the bottom.

After a mistake the already short Jury-barrel was cut even shorter and now the Grendel felt too small.
                          I decided to forget the Grendel as a shooting caliber and just use it for hunting and to be used by my kid at the range.

The 6,5mm Kriger-barrel that I had from a previous 6,5x55 was changed into a 6,5 Creedmoor. For shooting only.
                          This was fitted into a new Tikka T3X, threaded for a silencer, KRG Bravo, Spuhr and the Vortex PST, etc. Shooting was the plan. A load was tested and I have shot a few hundred rounds of the 6,5CM.
                          But no fun. Everyone start to have the 6,5CM and yes, it shoots very well, but no fun. The Grendel is still more fun, even with the short Jury-barrel.

And also. What distances have I REALLY shot at? Around 600 meters so far. I can shoot at longer ranges, but this might happen once a year, max. And at the distance that I normally shoot, 300 meters is the longest.
                          So, do I really need the 6,5 Creedmoor just for shooting? Or will the Krieger-barrel be better for shooting the Grendel?
                          Also, reloading the Grendel is very quick. Low usage in powder, and I can use the same powder in the Grendel as in my other caliber 8x57JS. The barrel will not wear as much with the Grendel as with the 6,5CM, less recoil, etc.

And one more thing. No one els I know have a Grendel
                          Works for me! I have both, and certainly the fun of it is a huge plus.
                          After all, if it's not fun, what's the point?
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X